SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
I like the sounds of that. Probably not made by Seagate.
There is a 5TB Seagate that is known to work with Shield.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Deskt...=1&*entries*=0
Old 06-12-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
There's still no DRM support, though, right?

And it sounds like the software makes a big distinction between live TV and recorded TV. For instance, is it true that you can't pause live TV? Can you even watch shows currently being recorded? (and if so, what kinds of restrictions are there?)
Far I know of SD hasn't supported DRM in their new DVR app for recording side of thing so that rigth reggie14 you can't pause Live TV all you have do was search there forum
Old 06-12-2016, 02:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
There's still no DRM support, though, right?

And it sounds like the software makes a big distinction between live TV and recorded TV. For instance, is it true that you can't pause live TV? Can you even watch shows currently being recorded? (and if so, what kinds of restrictions are there?)
No DRM recording support you can watch a show that is being recorded and you can pause rewind and fast forward. I do that with the NBA playoffs.

You can view DRM channels with the HDHOMERUN View app on Android Devices.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
No DRM recording support you can watch a show that is being recorded and you can pause rewind and fast forward. I do that with the NBA playoffs.
OK. I was trying to figure out what I meant when SiliconDust said DRM support is going to live TV first. That seemed strange, given that I thought the HDHR View app already works with DRM. So it sounds like there will be a period of time when DRMed channels will work through the DVR interface, but without recording.

So, can you pause/rewind/fast-forward live TV if the show *wasn't* previously set up to record?
Old 06-12-2016, 02:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
OK. I was trying to figure out what I meant when SiliconDust said DRM support is going to live TV first. That seemed strange, given that I thought the HDHR View app already works with DRM. So it sounds like there will be a period of time when DRMed channels will work through the DVR interface, but without recording.

So, can you pause/rewind/fast-forward live TV if the show *wasn't* previously set up to record?
No you cannot ... you have to start the recording of the show then you can watch the show as it is being recorded.(pause, Rewind FF) will work.
I set nba to record once the recording starts I can go to the recordings section and start watching it.... then I have access to pause etc...
Old 06-29-2016, 11:30 AM
SageTVaholic

This little machine keeps getting better and better with the latest Shield 3.2 upgrade you can now mount windows or nas shares. Also the Plex Media server is great. DVR Plex Media Server Kodi Netflix all in one little machine is great. Now all we need is SageTV Server to run on it ... so I can retire my I3 server.

Oh did I forget to mention great game unit.... and a great Sage MiniClient.

Last edited by nyplayer; 06-29-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:16 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
This little machine keeps getting better and better with the latest Shield 3.2 upgrade you can now mount windows or nas shares. Also the Plex Media server is great. DVR Plex Media Server Kodi Netflix all in one little machine is great. Now all we need is SageTV Server to run on it ... so I can retire my I3 server.

Oh did I forget to mention great game unit.... and a great Sage MiniClient.
Oooo, I've been waiting to be able to do that without rooting and weird work-arounds. Hopefully I can point Hyperspin to a network share now!

I'm really impressed with this device and the ongoing support it's getting. I don't see it replacing my Sage server, but it has taken over client needs for almost everything I use, (plus because of game streaming even got me to buy a few PC games--something I haven't done in years). The main thing keeping it from taking over HD300 duties is surround sound.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:30 AM
SageTVaholic

It took me a few tries, but I eventually got the Plex server minimally running. Initially I had the setup wizard try to create default libraries, which never worked- it just hung. Then I deselected that option and tried again. It failed twice before it finally worked.

I still haven't actually set anything up in it yet. I'm worried about where it is going to store metadata. I just have the 16GB Shield TV, with an adopted microSD card. I don't see any way to move the metadata folder, nor can I move the Plex media server app to the microSD card.

On a separate note, I still have problems with audio sync in Netflix. Audio drifts out of sync from the video, particularly if you pause/ff/rw a playing video. I have to stop and restart playback to get it in sync again
Old 07-01-2016, 09:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It took me a few tries, but I eventually got the Plex server minimally running. Initially I had the setup wizard try to create default libraries, which never worked- it just hung. Then I deselected that option and tried again. It failed twice before it finally worked.

I still haven't actually set anything up in it yet. I'm worried about where it is going to store metadata. I just have the 16GB Shield TV, with an adopted microSD card. I don't see any way to move the metadata folder, nor can I move the Plex media server app to the microSD card.

On a separate note, I still have problems with audio sync in Netflix. Audio drifts out of sync from the video, particularly if you pause/ff/rw a playing video. I have to stop and restart playback to get it in sync again
I have no problem playing Netflix at all. Also I too added a 128 GIG micros sd card and formatted as Internal storage ... it is my belief that it will use the Micro Sd Card. I also have a WD passport 3TB that I plan on adding as External Storage.... you can also format as Internal Storage.

PS I looked using Es Explorer pro and the images for Plex are on the 128 Gig SD Card.

Last edited by nyplayer; 07-01-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
PS I looked using Es Explorer pro and the images for Plex are on the 128 Gig SD Card.
OK, good. Thanks for checking. When you say "images," you're starting about fanart, right?

I'm pretty sure the Plex Media Server app itself is a system app that can't be moved out of internal storage.

As for netflix... hmmm... I know I'm not the only person with audio drift problems in Netflix, but I've found it odd that I don't see more complaints on the NVIDIA forums or reddit. Out of curiosity, how is your Shield hooked up? Are you running DD+ audio through an AVR, or just playing stereo through a TV?
Old 07-01-2016, 10:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
OK, good. Thanks for checking. When you say "images," you're starting about fanart, right?

I'm pretty sure the Plex Media Server app itself is a system app that can't be moved out of internal storage.

As for netflix... hmmm... I know I'm not the only person with audio drift problems in Netflix, but I've found it odd that I don't see more complaints on the NVIDIA forums or reddit. Out of curiosity, how is your Shield hooked up? Are you running DD+ audio through an AVR, or just playing stereo through a TV?
HDMI to TV .... TV raw audio to sound bar using optical.

As far as Plex the App is a system app but the data is kept on the SCARD. Images etc.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
HDMI to TV .... TV raw audio to sound bar using optical.
OK. You're probably using the stereo stream, then, since I think DD+ will only pass-through HDMI (and even then, only if the TV supports that- my TV will pass-through DD, but not DD+).

I might try changing to the stereo audio source to see if I still have the problem.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
OK. You're probably using the stereo stream, then, since I think DD+ will only pass-through HDMI (and even then, only if the TV supports that- my TV will pass-through DD, but not DD+).

I might try changing to the stereo audio source to see if I still have the problem.
You can read more on Plex and Shield here.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/art...-NVIDIA-SHIELD
Old 07-01-2016, 11:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Thanks!

The page seems to contradict itself... Do you know what this note means?

Quote:
Note: The server's data directory will always be placed on the original internal storage, even if you expand it with a USB drive or SD card.
Other parts of the page seemed to imply you can work around the 16GB model's limited storage by adopting a microSD or USB device. But this seems to say the "database, metadata about library items, posters and background art" are all stored in internal storage... Which obviously conflicts with what you're seeing on your box.

Any idea what does and doesn't stay on internal storage?
Old 07-01-2016, 01:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks!

The page seems to contradict itself... Do you know what this note means?

Other parts of the page seemed to imply you can work around the 16GB model's limited storage by adopting a microSD or USB device. But this seems to say the "database, metadata about library items, posters and background art" are all stored in internal storage... Which obviously conflicts with what you're seeing on your box.

Any idea what does and doesn't stay on internal storage?
Think of the Data as the WIZ.BIN it just keeps where everything is like images videos etc.... It does not actually contain the images etc...
Old 07-05-2016, 12:46 AM
Sage Fanatic

Can Shield record from a OTA off HDHomeRun and does it playback with Closed Captioning (subtitles)?

I am getting ready to cut the cord and I probably have no use for a big server running SageTV in near future but I still want to find a DVR that small enough to keep recording my OTA shows as long the Closed Captioning support is there.

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x
Old 07-05-2016, 08:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
Can Shield record from a OTA off HDHomeRun and does it playback with Closed Captioning (subtitles)?

I am getting ready to cut the cord and I probably have no use for a big server running SageTV in near future but I still want to find a DVR that small enough to keep recording my OTA shows as long the Closed Captioning support is there.

Bill
Closed Captioning is not there yet ... but it Does record the CC stream. The HDHomerun DVR already records in KODI Friendly format and you can use it on the shield and watch the recordings with CC.

CC is planned for the HDHomerun DVR Gui.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:46 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Closed Captioning is not there yet ... but it Does record the CC stream. The HDHomerun DVR already records in KODI Friendly format and you can use it on the shield and watch the recordings with CC.

CC is planned for the HDHomerun DVR Gui.
HDHomeRun DVR? I assume that is an Windows based software correct? If so then cool but I am trying to find a small form hardware to do all the recordings off the OTA to an NAS drive but Closed Captioning must work in playback.

However I would prefer that Closed Captioning is overlay onto video before it's saved to the recording file. This is what I am doing right now with DirectTV STB. I enable the CC and it records everything video/sound/CC on top of it then I can play back on any devices without having to find a player that support CC too.

In the past, I asked the developers at HDHomeRun if they would write a software in their hardware to set an option to decode the CC and overlay it on the video before sending it across the network but they said it wasn't on their agenda. to make this possible. But one can dream ...........

And yes I know I can make this work by adding a bunch of scripted software to extract the CC and convert it to subtitle blah blah blah. I been into DVR for a long time since MythTV days and have been there and done that but it always been a pain in the rear when things changes and it break again.

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 07-05-2016, 02:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
HDHomeRun DVR? I assume that is an Windows based software correct? If so then cool but I am trying to find a small form hardware to do all the recordings off the OTA to an NAS drive but Closed Captioning must work in playback.

However I would prefer that Closed Captioning is overlay onto video before it's saved to the recording file. This is what I am doing right now with DirectTV STB. I enable the CC and it records everything video/sound/CC on top of it then I can play back on any devices without having to find a player that support CC too.

In the past, I asked the developers at HDHomeRun if they would write a software in their hardware to set an option to decode the CC and overlay it on the video before sending it across the network but they said it wasn't on their agenda. to make this possible. But one can dream ...........

And yes I know I can make this work by adding a bunch of scripted software to extract the CC and convert it to subtitle blah blah blah. I been into DVR for a long time since MythTV days and have been there and done that but it always been a pain in the rear when things changes and it break again.

Bill
HDHOMERUN DVR runs on a NAS ... Android Shield ... Linux ... Apple.... Windows.

More Here.
https://www.silicondust.com/products...#hdhomerun-dvr

Last edited by nyplayer; 07-05-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:49 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
HDHOMERUN DVR runs on a NAS ... Android Shield ... Linux ... Apple.... Windows.

More Here.
https://www.silicondust.com/products...#hdhomerun-dvr
It support NAS? Cool .. Will look into it then. I have a WD Cloud so I might try it out on it.

Only thing left I need to do is to find a player that can play back with Closed Captioning from NAS.

I still have three HD300 and I am sure they can play it back from WE cloud right but I am thinking of selling if off and get something like the Nvidia shield for playback if the Kodi will work on it and play CC without a glitch.

Will it do LiveTV too?

Bill
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software