SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:48 PM
SageTVaholic

windows 10 - motherboard/hardware failure

The windows 10 'forced' upgrade appears to have the license tied to the hardware. Has anyone ever seen a microsoft document that describes how to recover a (previously windows 7 system) windows 10 system that has a motherboard (or other tied-in hardware) failure?

Is there a documented procedure/phone number for this scenario?

(lets assume this is post-July 2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 06:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
The windows 10 'forced' upgrade appears to have the license tied to the hardware. Has anyone ever seen a microsoft document that describes how to recover a (previously windows 7 system) windows 10 system that has a motherboard (or other tied-in hardware) failure?

Is there a documented procedure/phone number for this scenario?

(lets assume this is post-July 2016)
I don't think in that scenario you're covered. My understanding is that Windows 10 registers itself with Microsoft as a unique signature of your hardware. That why if you clean reinstall Windows 10 on the same machine, you shouldn't even need the product key. I don't think you can transfer that in the case of the free upgrade.

Edit: I found this:
http://www.howtogeek.com/226510/how-...%99s-hardware/

Quote:
According to Gabriel Aul, Vice President of Engineering for the Windows & Devices group at Microsoft, you can then contact support from within Windows 10, explain the situation, and they’ll activate Windows 10 for you:
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG

Last edited by EnterNoEscape; 06-01-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Sure hate to have to dump another hundred and sum bucks just because a piece of hardware failed. Do you suppose this is isolated to just the motherboard, or maybe it's also tied in to the hard drive - say you decide to change the hard drive too many times ... ?

Is there any microsoft documentation that describes these hardware failure conditions and how they affect licensing? I've become fairly accustomed to just replacing the hardware, dialing in the OS key, and back up and running (with the exception of the Windows 7 family 3-pack upgrade fiasco).
Old 06-01-2016, 07:08 PM
SageTVaholic

The only thing I found in the link I posted that they won't help you out with is if you actually want to migrate the license to a new computer. Though, apparently a new motherboard will require a phone call.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:10 PM
SageTVaholic

In the past, when I've tried to call microsoft on licensing issues, it has gone badly. They mention that you can contact them from "within Windows 10." I suppose you could contact them and they'd have you back up in 30 minutes or so, right?

Old 06-01-2016, 07:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
In the past, when I've tried to call microsoft on licensing issues, it has gone badly. They mention that you can contact them from "within Windows 10." I suppose you could contact them and they'd have you back up in 30 minutes or so, right?

On rare occasions in my day job, I have had to call Microsoft for activation issues; it wasn't too bad. I also wasn't on any special number that lets them know I'm a corporate account, so I think I got what most people get.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Do you suppose microsoft ever considered a licensing system where you could login to your microsoft licensing account, and activate/deactivate a license for a particular machine, or even migrate it to a new machine?
Old 06-01-2016, 07:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Do you suppose microsoft ever considered a licensing system where you could login to your microsoft licensing account, and activate/deactivate a license for a particular machine, or even migrate it to a new machine?
They thought of that for Office 365. Maybe one day you'll be able to do the same thing with your OS...when you get on a monthly rental plan. This is among the many reasons why at home at least I'm distancing myself from Microsoft a little more each day.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
On rare occasions in my day job, I have had to call Microsoft for activation issues; it wasn't too bad. I also wasn't on any special number that lets them know I'm a corporate account, so I think I got what most people get.
I purchased the Windows 7 family 3-pack upgrade about the same time that early consumer SSD's were emerging. Because we were facing firmware updates that cleared the entire SSD drive, I ended up on the phone with licensing at least once every two months. I would say, at least 90% of the time, the person that I spoke with (after having to navigate past the automated system that would hang up the line after asking about how many systems the same key was used on) the support representative had no idea that the same key could be actively registered on up to 3 independent systems. I ended up literally dumping hundreds of dollars on the many 3-pack upgrade licenses that I had purchased due to this fiasco.

Faith in the microsoft licensing system is not strong.

I'm leaning towards microsoft just not giving a crap.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:21 PM
Sage Fanatic

My motherboard failed, (well, it stopped accepting a dual-channel memory configuration). I replaced it and upgraded the CPU at the same time. I was sure I'd have to buy a new W10 license (or W7 if cheaper and upgrade). However all it had me do is call a number and where an automated system had me enter in a huge string of numbers displayed on my computer. Then it gave me another huge set to enter in on the computer. (I think it asked me how many computers the OS was installed on--correct answer is 1). I believe you also had the option to have the huge string sent to you via text.

Anyway, I've done this dance on two computers now due to hardware upgrades, (new MB and CPU on my personal desktop back when I thought I'd buy a Rift--then they announced the retail price and I passed ), and it was painless. YMMV.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, I think if you boot up the system with the old windows install and the new motherboard, it will 'fail' the activation check and provide you with the means to essentially update the hardware ID tied to that installation. I think then you'd be able to do a clean install if you so choose.

But of course, I've never tried that, so I can't be sure.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-02-2016, 05:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Yeah, I think if you boot up the system with the old windows install and the new motherboard, it will 'fail' the activation check and provide you with the means to essentially update the hardware ID tied to that installation. I think then you'd be able to do a clean install if you so choose.
Yup, I had that happen with XP or 7 or something, I changed enough stuff that Windows thought it was a new computer. Called them up, said I upgraded motherboard, etc, (that was when I actually talked to someone), they said "yup that'll do it" and they activated Windows for me.

Think I've done the enter 700 numbers back and forth thing before too.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Yup, I had that happen with XP or 7 or something, I changed enough stuff that Windows thought it was a new computer. Called them up, said I upgraded motherboard, etc, (that was when I actually talked to someone), they said "yup that'll do it" and they activated Windows for me.

Think I've done the enter 700 numbers back and forth thing before too.
Yeahm, for XP, Vista, and 7 activations, it used to be the talk to someone - then they slowly transitioned to the automated system. I just wasn't sure if that overall process remains the same with 8/8.1/10

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-02-2016, 12:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Windows 10 free upgrades are supposed to have the same licensed rights as the license that they upgraded. Retail licenses include the right to move your license from system to system as long as it's only installed on a single system. However, Microsoft never publicly mentioned how moving Windows 10 free licenses from system to system would work in practice.

I'm unsure about my own Windows 8 licenses. I have three licenses where two of them are free Spark educational licenses and one is a student license I got from MS for $30. I really don't know if portability is included in those licenses. I have yet to need to test it.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
YMMV.
Clearly.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:18 AM
Sage User

FWIW - I recently upgraded my main machine, which had the Win10 upgrade, with a new motherboard/cpu/ram and a M2 SSD (only case and data drive reused). Not wanting to reinstall all my software I used the "bare metal recovery" system-image to move WIN10 to the new configuration. That went very well only requiring the entry on the Win7 #'s to activate.

The only problem I had was that the image created with Windows Backup would not work with the new UEFI motherboard (the old one being BIOS based). A quick search found a number of ways to workaround that issue.

A couple apps (Photoshop) asked to be reactivated but most never seem to notice the move.

This was a move of Win10.1511 Pro 64bit. I believe that 1511 changed how upgrade key's are internally stored; but, I'm not sure if it would be required for the bare-metal-restore to work.

Of course, your results might vary

Andre

Last edited by andre5006; 06-03-2016 at 10:20 AM. Reason: clarify