SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:29 PM
Sage User

Any reason(s) NOT to upgrade from v7 to v9?

I've been running SageTV v7 successfully for many years, and I know there are some good things about v9. My question is are there any downsides to upgrading?

I have seen some mention of program guide licensing considerations? I'm not quite clear on what that really means though.

Also, I have built up a very long list of favorites -- can those be imported or otherwise somehow transferred to v9?
Old 12-18-2016, 08:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerva View Post
I've been running SageTV v7 successfully for many years, and I know there are some good things about v9. My question is are there any downsides to upgrading?

I have seen some mention of program guide licensing considerations? I'm not quite clear on what that really means though.

Also, I have built up a very long list of favorites -- can those be imported or otherwise somehow transferred to v9?
No reason to not upgrade. Most new functionality and plugins are Sage 9 only.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:17 AM
Sage Icon

If you're using the Windows server, the drop in method is pretty painless and won't require any changes wrt EPG.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 12-19-2016, 11:38 AM
Sage User

I use SageTV Windows Home Server edition on my "server" (which these days actually just runs Windows 7 x64). Does that complicate things?

By "drop in method" do you mean literally overwriting just the .exe files with their v9 versions?

Last edited by Nerva; 12-19-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:34 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I use SageTV Windows Home Server edition on my "server" (which these days actually just runs Windows 7 x64). Does that complicate things?

By "drop in method" do you mean literally overwriting just the .exe files with their v9 versions?
I'd use the Windows installer: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63009.

Make a full image backup first just in case, but it should be painless.

FYI, your favorites are in your wiz.bin file. If you don't back anything else up at least make a copy of that.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I use SageTV Windows Home Server edition
hrmm, never heard there was a specific version for this

Quote:
No. Download the SageJar.XXXXX.zip from latest version at https://bintray.com/opensagetv/sagetv/SageTV, backup all your SageTV files, and then extract/overwrite. You'll need to do the same on the server and any (software) clients. (Updating Java is a good idea also.)
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 12-20-2016, 02:21 PM
Sage User

It looks like I originally bought "SageTV Media Center with Placeshifter License Combo". I've got an old install file titled "SageTV-WHS_V6_6_2Setup.msi".

Ah yes, now I remember -- yes, there definitely was a WHS version, because I remember it had a plug-in for the WHS console.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:03 PM
Sage User

I don't know if this is a plugin, a Google Code, or a Sage7 v 9 issue, but I've had some difficulty with plugins as a new V9 user. For example, trying to install Gemstone (which may only be available for 7 - I'm not sure) gets as far as a Phoenix core download and then fails.

I don't know enough about Sage to understand the details of errors like these but I'm guessing if they've been working for 7 users for awhile this may relate to 9.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by haus View Post
I don't know if this is a plugin, a Google Code, or a Sage7 v 9 issue, but I've had some difficulty with plugins as a new V9 user. For example, trying to install Gemstone (which may only be available for 7 - I'm not sure) gets as far as a Phoenix core download and then fails.

I don't know enough about Sage to understand the details of errors like these but I'm guessing if they've been working for 7 users for awhile this may relate to 9.
Gemstone should install fine on v9 so if it does not please post the error and your sagetv log so we can resolve this.

k
Old 12-25-2016, 10:20 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben_dallas View Post
hrmm, never heard there was a specific version for this
There was a WHS version way back in the day, I have one of those license keys. It was basically the Window's Client/Server with a special docker for the WHS(2003) control panel, which basically was the ServiceControl.exe with a couple extras(like entering product keys, IIRC)
Old 12-25-2016, 10:25 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
It looks like I originally bought "SageTV Media Center with Placeshifter License Combo". I've got an old install file titled "SageTV-WHS_V6_6_2Setup.msi".

Ah yes, now I remember -- yes, there definitely was a WHS version, because I remember it had a plug-in for the WHS console.
Yup, it came with an included Placeshifter License because the WHS setup is supposed to be "headless" so you'd need the Placeshifter in order to actually see anything from an outside computer. Unless you also sprung for an HD Extender which was its own license. At least I know the 200's were. I think the 100's had slightly different rules, never had one of them. I know the MediaMVP's required Placeshifter though.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:48 AM
SageTVaholic

The WHS version wasn't technically a different license. It's just a windows sagetv server license. The additional placeshifter/mvp/hd100 connection was granted by the WHS server software, not the license.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 12-25-2016, 12:45 PM
Sage Expert

Yeah, it was a Windows license, it just included a placeshifter key with it.

The installer also included the docker for WHS. But they would have worked w/o the WHS license I'm sure. You just wouldn't have had the placeshifter license available. Which doesn't matter in v9 anyhow.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monedeath View Post
Yeah, it was a Windows license, it just included a placeshifter key with it.

The installer also included the docker for WHS. But they would have worked w/o the WHS license I'm sure. You just wouldn't have had the placeshifter license available. Which doesn't matter in v9 anyhow.
I'm not sure about that. I thought the server + placeshifter combo was just a combo deal, it had nothing to do with WHS. I believe WHS allowed a single miniclient connection without ever having to add a placeshifter license. You likely didn't have to buy the license combo if you were going to use WHS for the server (back when that was a common thing).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 12-26-2016, 02:53 PM
Sage Expert

Someone digging through the forums could undoubtedly find the answer, the posts go back far enough.

All I know is I remember buying a WHS license during the V6 days, and it included a Placeshifter license. For V7 we just purchased the standard Windows upgrade key, and moved it over to a Windows 7 machine.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:33 PM
Sage

I'm pretty sure the way it worked with WHS was that it detected that was the version of the OS and then added one to the count of detected placeshifter/extender licenses...so it didn't actually come with an extra key, it just did it based on the OS detection.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:42 PM
Sage User

I see in the Windows Installer thread original post, it says, "If you wish to retain Closed Captioning or MPEG2 decoders from your V7 install, please install V9 on top of a V7 install." Does that mean v9 is somehow missing that capability?
Old 01-02-2017, 02:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I see in the Windows Installer thread original post, it says, "If you wish to retain Closed Captioning or MPEG2 decoders from your V7 install, please install V9 on top of a V7 install." Does that mean v9 is somehow missing that capability?
v9 does not cone with mpeg2 decoders as they were a licensed part of v7. The capability to use it remains in v9 but you need to locate another source for mpeg2 decoders.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:17 PM
Sage User

I'm more concerned with closed captioning than MPEG2 -- there's plenty of options for the latter. Does v9 not have closed captioning?
Old 01-02-2017, 02:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm more concerned with closed captioning than MPEG2 -- there's plenty of options for the latter. Does v9 not have closed captioning?
it supports it but the decoder needs to support it too and the v7 decoder that shipped with v7 does not come with v9 that's why the suggestion to install over v7 to retain those decoders