SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Current best/easiest HW (for Comcast Xfinity)?

As the title says, what's the best formula for recording from Comcast? Can we get 1080p nowadays btw? If I were "Starting over" what should I get?
  • Cablebox + Capture device (what one?)?
  • Cablecard + cablecard device (what one?)?

I currently have an old Motorola dch3200 STB that records in 1080i to an HD PVR 2 (component + SPIDF & USB UIRT). The box keeps putting up messages that I need a new box (X1) to avoid loosing channels. Also, I'm struggling to stabilize Docker (IR blasting + capture issues), so now's a really good time for me to take a sanity check on what next steps make the most sense.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

If you are on Comcast I would go with a cable card. I can record all my stations but Starz, encore, HBO. I also have an HD PVR 2 which I use to record the premium stations. The usbrt is usually 90℅ on the money. I just switched over to unRAID and run the PVR 2 in a VM still testing that for reliability.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

So, I am a Comcast Xfinity customer in Colorado Springs, and I use several things:

2 HDHR3CC-Prime - this gives me 6 channels for recording normal Stuff
1 Xfinity NBM box - Hauppage PVR - USB-UIRT - this gives me premium channels
1 Xfinity NBM box - BMI-3000 - USB-UIRT - this gives me premium channels

The BMI-3000 are smaller and easier to work with in the wiring closet, so if I was starting over, I would probably get 2 of those, and not get the PVR.

So, depending upon how many shows you capture and how much conflict/overlap, you could possibly get 1 HDHR3CC and 1 BMI-3000. This would give you one premium channel at a time and 3 regular channels for the cost of 2 HD devices.

BTW, even with xfinity, I'm still only getting 1080i. Haven't seen any 1080p from comcast yet. But then again, I'm not looking super hard.

Last edited by mgpaulus; 02-28-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:01 AM
Sage Fanatic

I am a Comcast Xfinity customer in NJ. I do not subscribe to any Comcast premium channels, so I just use 2 HDHR3CC-Prime for six tuners.

I also have PlayOn installed on the SageTV server. I can use PlayOn with Xfinity OnDemand to record shows that I might have missed. I also use PlayOn with other streaming services (Amazon, Yahoo View and Hulu).

If you have a subscription, you can also use PlayOn to record HBO, Go,HBO Now, Max Go, SHO Anytime, etc.

BTW...PlayOn also has a feature that lets you record all new shows in a series.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 03-05-2017, 03:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am a Comcast customer in the Philly suburbs. My signature explains my setup. The Cablecard tuners capture most of the recordings.

Random thoughts:
  • With Comcast, you will probably have more success with FFMPEG as the remuxer than the SageTV internal Remuxer. FFMPEG may be the default in OpenDCT. I forget.
  • Premium channels go through the Comcast box and the BM3000.
  • I find that the BM3000 is more stable than the HDPVR.
  • I am currently building a media center server. I plan to use UnRaid and try out running a Win 7 VM with Windows Media Center and a BM3000 to replace the cable box and BM3000 for premium channels. Unfortunately, the project is at a standstill, since I had to RMA the motherboard yesterday.
  • Doing the Windows Media Center thing to replace a cable box is discussed on another thread on the Hardware Support forum.

E.
All in lovely Drexel Hill, PA