SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:11 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Just upgraded from v7 to v9. Client crashing now

I am running Windows 7 32-bit on both server and client. Upgraded both to the current V9 for Windows.

Server works great (thanks Devs!)

On my client computer, the Sage v9 app crashes as soon as you play a video. Says "SageTV has stopped working" and it dies.

I do not have a KB4013418 update like in the Windows 10 thread about a similar issue.

Any ideas?
Old 04-15-2017, 01:30 PM
SageTVaholic

I would start by trying a different video/audio renderer/decoder on your Windows 7 Client install. Take a quick screenshot or photo of the screen before making changes.

SETUP > DETAILED SETUP > VIDEO/AUDIO
Old 04-15-2017, 02:01 PM
Sage Icon

I poked around and it didn't matter. Set everything back to the (v7) bundled Sage decoders or used my system default, like for H.264 and it doesn't matter.

Is the version of Java important?
Old 04-15-2017, 03:43 PM
Sage Icon

This is frustrating. I updated my video drivers, reinstalled the app and even tried the older v7 version (which won't work now because of a mismatch) and it doesn't work.

I installed it on a VM and it was fine, so it's something to do with my main rig, but I don't know how to troubleshoot further.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:45 PM
SageTVaholic

The last post of this thread mentions something about running the client install over top of the original install as a repair;

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62965

When all else fails, have you disabled all plugins yet on the server/client? Do the server logs show anything when the client crashes?
Old 04-17-2017, 10:05 AM
Sage

If you posted log files from when the problem occurs, we may be able to help identify the specific problem.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:59 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
If you posted log files from when the problem occurs, we may be able to help identify the specific problem.
Attached is my log file. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetvclient_0.txt (299.8 KB, 161 views)
Old 04-18-2017, 10:58 AM
Sage

Have you tried other file formats besides MKV? It's crashing when it's trying to render the video portion of the playback graph. So if you have a bad video decoder (or other DirectShow filter that's trying to get into the video path), it could be crashing on that. Is there an hs_err_pid_xxx.log file generated in the SageTV folder when it crashes? If so, that might clue us into what the problematic component is.

If there was a valid H264 decoder specified (since this MKV has H264 video), then that might help with the problem because then it's also not trying to pick a decoder. Explicitly selecting a video renderer may also help. (but I think you said you've already tried those things)

Next steps:
1. Post any hs_err_pid files if you got them
2. Try again with an H264 decoder and video renderer specified, and post the log from that
3. Also try with MPEG content (.ts or .mpg) with an MPEG decoder and video renderer specified and if that fails, post logs from that too.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:40 PM
Sage Icon

There are no files like that in my Sage client folder. I think it crashes before it gets that far. My TV recordings are all MPEG2 and those crash too.

Edit:

So, choosing the Microsoft DTV-DVD decoder seems to work! That's weird that my "Default" one doesn't. When I play the files directly, they work fine and use my LAV Filters.

Welp, it works, so I can't complain. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2017, 11:05 AM
Sage

Glad to hear you got it working now.