SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:46 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Embedded CC/subtitles

Does anyone have this feature on the radar for the miniclient? It's the one feature that ties me to the HD300 boxes (not that I mind), but it does prevent me from recommending Sage to friends. Some of us old timers are hard of hearing so CC support is important, and embedded subtitles in MKV files would be good too.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
Does anyone have this feature on the radar for the miniclient? It's the one feature that ties me to the HD300 boxes (not that I mind), but it does prevent me from recommending Sage to friends. Some of us old timers are hard of hearing so CC support is important, and embedded subtitles in MKV files would be good too.
This does come up form time to time, and I think the MiniClient does support external subtitles, just not embedded ones. Personally I'd like to see the server extract them then send them (like external subtitles), but I think it's a complicated process.

The good news is that the Players in the MiniClient do support embedded subtitles... someone just has to find the time to make it happen, and I htink, sadly, it's a low priority right now
Old 06-04-2017, 05:05 PM
Sage Icon

OK, thank you Stuckless.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
Some of us old timers are hard of hearing so CC support is important, and embedded subtitles in MKV files would be good too.
+1 from another hard of hearing old timer.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:53 AM
Sage Icon

Same here but glad that the hdx00s handles them and have some spares
Old 06-05-2017, 11:10 AM
Sage

It wouldn't be all that hard to implement this in the server (the server does all the rendering of CC already). All that's needed is for sage.FastMpeg2Reader.java to extract the CC data while it's parsing the file for streaming to the client. There's lots of fast path optimizations in there to make that as lightweight as possible (so it parses very little); but those can be easily disabled with config setting that would then parse more of the stream to extract the actual UserData field from the video stream which contains the CC data bits (and then they just need to be sent to VideoFrame and then the rest is magic that already exists).

I'd be more than happy to guide somebody through what needs to be done...but it does help a LOT if they are familiar with MPEG TS/PS parsing and also H264/MPEG2 parsing (at least at the top level, it's just header analysis).
Old 06-05-2017, 11:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
It wouldn't be all that hard to implement this in the server (the server does all the rendering of CC already). All that's needed is for sage.FastMpeg2Reader.java to extract the CC data while it's parsing the file for streaming to the client. There's lots of fast path optimizations in there to make that as lightweight as possible (so it parses very little); but those can be easily disabled with config setting that would then parse more of the stream to extract the actual UserData field from the video stream which contains the CC data bits (and then they just need to be sent to VideoFrame and then the rest is magic that already exists).

I'd be more than happy to guide somebody through what needs to be done...but it does help a LOT if they are familiar with MPEG TS/PS parsing and also H264/MPEG2 parsing (at least at the top level, it's just header analysis).
I'm sensing another project for @EnterNoEscape (Maybe in the fall, if no-one has picked this up, I'll take a stab at it... i really do want to get to know the TS/PS parsing code much better, just, I need large blocks or time fully absorb it, and right now, I only have small windows of SageTV development )
Old 06-05-2017, 12:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I'm sensing another project for @EnterNoEscape (Maybe in the fall, if no-one has picked this up, I'll take a stab at it... i really do want to get to know the TS/PS parsing code much better, just, I need large blocks or time fully absorb it, and right now, I only have small windows of SageTV development )
Gee thanks.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 06-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
Gee thanks.
Don't you love being da man?
Get the same at work
Old 06-05-2017, 01:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
Don't you love being da man?
Get the same at work
I get this my own workplace too. You would not believe the kinds of questions I get just because they figured I might be able to fix it/know the answer.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Sage Icon

You guys are awesome. Except for the occasional bug/workaround in the miniclient, as far as I know, this is the last major feature to eliminate the need of the HD300. Adding H.265 content to my collection would be nice.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:37 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
I get this my own workplace too. You would not believe the kinds of questions I get just because they figured I might be able to fix it/know the answer.
I guess there is No Escape for you.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 06-05-2017, 04:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have no idea if the fix is similar, but if this does get looked at, can we also look at having the forced subtitles flag honored for mkvs? There is an issue open for this on GitHub.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
I guess there is No Escape for you.
The name comes from how I signed computer edited video presentations in high school: No Escape Entertainment. The origins are even less interesting. Basically, my first production was done using a keyboard what was physically missing the escape key. Me and my friends were very atypical for the time in that we were doing a lot of things with computers that are now pretty commonplace.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk2 View Post
I have no idea if the fix is similar, but if this does get looked at, can we also look at having the forced subtitles flag honored for mkvs? There is an issue open for this on GitHub.
+1 this. Honoring mkv's forced subs would be wonderful!
Old 06-06-2017, 04:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk2 View Post
Sorry, the CC fix is completely unrelated to forced subs. SageTV just doesn't know about forced subs...FFMPEG would need to output that data bit when SageTV uses it to parse the MKV for the format info/metadata. Then SageTV core would need to be modified to turn on subs by default if that flag is present. Both of those things are likely not hard to implement...you just need to find somebody to do it.