SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 04-05-2019, 05:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
Can you try setting that register setting to false?

I tried that setting and tested it this morning. Has stopped the spinning circles as far as I can tell, and has made scrolling through the list of movies (at least with Phoenix fanart installed) noticeably faster. Didn't try it without Phoenix enabled. Maybe it's there to give native Sage code time to load folder.jpg's and movie thumbnails?

Thanks for suggesting that to try. Might try it on my production 32-bit to see if it speeds that up too.

-S
Server: Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, Intel i5, 8 GB, Samsung EVO 850 500 GB for OS, WD Black 4 TB + WD Black 1 TB for Recordings, 36TB Synology 1019+ for DVD/Bluray Rips, Music, Home Movies, etc., SageTV Server 64 Bit Ver 9.2.6.976, HDPVR x 2, Bell TV 6131 Receiver x 2, USB-UIRT with 56 KHz Receiver

Clients: PC Client x 2, HD-300 x 2 (1 Using Netgear MoCA Coax Bridges), SageTV Miniclient on NVidia Shield x 3
Old 04-05-2019, 09:13 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
I tried that setting and tested it this morning. Has stopped the spinning circles as far as I can tell, and has made scrolling through the list of movies (at least with Phoenix fanart installed) noticeably faster. Didn't try it without Phoenix enabled. Maybe it's there to give native Sage code time to load folder.jpg's and movie thumbnails?

Thanks for suggesting that to try. Might try it on my production 32-bit to see if it speeds that up too.

-S
Good to hear. I’d never looked at that code before your issue but from what I can tell, using the AWT toolkit method starts loading the image in a separate thread but then the main thread just sits in a loop waiting for the callback function to notify it that it’s done. I’m not sure what the point is. The hangs were occurring in that wait loop. Narflex may be able to comment on it as there are old notes in that section about Java 1.5 and jpg image issues for some users.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREkiwi View Post
Steve, can you tell me what the value in sage.properties is for phoenix/mediametadata/fanartCentralFolder

It doesn't look right in the logs

John
Hey John,

It’s:

phoenix/mediametadata/fanartCentralFolder=\\\\SERVER-W1\\FANART

It’s the same as on my 32 bit server and my windows clients. It’s a share on my server so the windows clients and the server share the same fan art.

Tnx
-Steve
Server: Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, Intel i5, 8 GB, Samsung EVO 850 500 GB for OS, WD Black 4 TB + WD Black 1 TB for Recordings, 36TB Synology 1019+ for DVD/Bluray Rips, Music, Home Movies, etc., SageTV Server 64 Bit Ver 9.2.6.976, HDPVR x 2, Bell TV 6131 Receiver x 2, USB-UIRT with 56 KHz Receiver

Clients: PC Client x 2, HD-300 x 2 (1 Using Netgear MoCA Coax Bridges), SageTV Miniclient on NVidia Shield x 3
Old 04-05-2019, 05:37 PM
Sage Icon

I can't believe the difference changing ui/load_images_with_awt_toolkit to false has made. It's like night and day.

Then again, looking at how many bugs have been and continue to be in the JAVA imageio code, it makes some sense.

While looking into this I did find this interesting open source plugin TwelveMonkeys ImageIO which I hope to do some testing with.

John
Old 04-05-2019, 05:58 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I can't believe the difference changing ui/load_images_with_awt_toolkit to false has made. It's like night and day.

Then again, looking at how many bugs have been and continue to be in the JAVA imageio code, it makes some sense.

While looking into this I did find this interesting open source plugin TwelveMonkeys ImageIO which I hope to do some testing with.

John
I wonder if we shouldn't set the default to false. It looks like the ImageIO.Read() method had some bugs, at least back around Java 1.5. If this look good with this set to false we should update the code. For what it's worth, it's only set true on Windows.

https://github.com/google/sagetv/blo...Utils.java#L21

I'm going to change my setting to see if it helps to large number of blank photos I get in the photos section.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:06 PM
Sage Icon

There was a discussion in the past about image handing and the difference with images handled by JAVA (done within the heap) and by the OS (done in application memory space) and that there were some performance reasons for which was chosen. I wonder, with the changes in OSes and Hardware that the requirement has changed.

I'm really liking what I'm reading about the TwelveMonkeys ImageIO plugin and it might be worth getting it into a form that can be used for testing.

John
Old 04-17-2019, 08:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Steve, can you tell me what the value in sage.properties is for phoenix/mediametadata/fanartCentralFolder

It doesn't look right in the logs

John

John,

If it helps, I had a moment available today to fire up my 64 bit install to try using C:\fanart as the fanart directory name versus the share name version - \\SERVER-W1\FANART, but it made no difference - same behaviour...

-S

Old 04-17-2019, 08:27 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
I wonder if we shouldn't set the default to false. It looks like the ImageIO.Read() method had some bugs, at least back around Java 1.5. If this look good with this set to false we should update the code. For what it's worth, it's only set true on Windows.

https://github.com/google/sagetv/blo...Utils.java#L21

I'm going to change my setting to see if it helps to large number of blank photos I get in the photos section.
I forgot to update this. I changed my setting and noticed a huge improvement in performance and no more missing photos!
Old 04-17-2019, 10:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
John,

If it helps, I had a moment available today to fire up my 64 bit install to try using C:\fanart as the fanart directory name versus the share name version - \\SERVER-W1\FANART, but it made no difference - same behaviour...

-S

And in another interesting development - this issue does not affect the 64-bit Windows client. My client's fanart configuration points to the same shared fanart art folder on my server that my SageTV server uses. And since it doesn't work properly on the server, it doesn't work properly on the HD300s

On the client however, as you hover over over the movie posters, it does indeed show the fanart backgrounds over the movie details like it should.

Whatever this is, it's only affecting the SageTV server's fanart display....

Old 04-20-2019, 11:56 PM
Sage Icon

Steve, can you turn on the metadata debug logging.

Detailed Setup/Customize/Metadata Options/Debug Logging and post the SageTV log

Then I'll be able to see what it's doing when it is showing those images

John
Old 04-22-2019, 12:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Steve, can you turn on the metadata debug logging.

Detailed Setup/Customize/Metadata Options/Debug Logging and post the SageTV log

Then I'll be able to see what it's doing when it is showing those images

John
Ok here's the files. One is the log file from the 64-bit version, and one from the 32-bit version.

In the 64-bit log, you can see my hovering over various posters in the DVD/BD screen starting at about "Mon 4/22 14:33:10.893". This is where it should be loading the background fanart. I do see messages that say:

4:33:14.616 [ActiveRender-SAGETV_PROCESS_LOCAL_UI@6a462144] CMT using Thumbnail for Preview

You can clearly see after those messages it's loading various folder.jpg files from the movie directories instead of the fanart backgrounds from the fanart folder.

Now interestingly, when I do the same thing in the 32-bit version, the log file looks a bit different as I hover over movie posters. There is no mention of using the folder/jpg files, no mention that CMT is using thumbnails. Specifically, I see lines like this when hovering over a movie poster.

Mon 4/22 14:46:19.542 [ActiveRender-SAGETV_PROCESS_LOCAL_UI@17d9315] CMT using Background fanart for Preview

I do not see these these "background fanart" events mentioned in the 64-bit log file....

If this is a setting somewhere, I can't find it. I would have thought if it was, it would have been captured when I copied the sage properties file over from my 32 bit directory to my 64 bit directory...

Tnx!

-S
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv-32bit.zip (69.3 KB, 149 views)
File Type: zip sagetv-64bit.zip (45.4 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by SteveW; 04-22-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:13 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks Steve, that's what I was looking for.

There is a setting which is UI specific, so would get set in the properties file in the clients folder for the HD300
Check that "Detail Setup\Customize\Fanart Options\Folder Preview Preference" is set to Background when you're on the HD300 and on the Server UI.

It sets the property
metadata/preview_preference=Background

Hope that helps

John
Old 04-23-2019, 09:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks Steve, that's what I was looking for.

There is a setting which is UI specific, so would get set in the properties file in the clients folder for the HD300
Check that "Detail Setup\Customize\Fanart Options\Folder Preview Preference" is set to Background when you're on the HD300 and on the Server UI.

It sets the property
metadata/preview_preference=Background

Hope that helps

John

Hi John,

Tried changing that on the server and the HD300's, but no luck. Same behaviour. I changed the setting from "Banner" to "Background" as you suggested. It's still just reading the folder.jpg file in the movie's directory structure.

I checked my operational 32-bit system. That option is set to "Banner" as well, but the background fanart displays correctly.

I've attached a couple captures so you can see the difference.

Now here's a real head scratcher... I assume you know that if if there is no folder.jpg file in a DVD or BD's folder structure, Sage will display a thumbnail of one of the first images in the movie in the spot I have circled above the movie details on the right in the attached captures. When I downloaded some bluray jacket covers to use as a folder.jpg file for some of my movies that didn't have any, and wrote them to their respective movie folders, and restarted Sage, now all of a sudden, in my 64-bit UI, those movies are displaying the actual fanart backgrounds correctly in that area above the movie detais!

I was kinda shocked when it happened, as I don't see the relationship between whether a movie had a folder.jpg file or not, and the Phoenix fanart backgound suddenly displaying properly.

Now most of my movie folders had previously in place the folder.jpg files, and those ones just display that file vice the fanart background in the 64-bit UI. For me at the moment, the movie folders that had no folder.jpg file, if I add one, for some reason the fanart starts working. I have not tried removing a preexisting folder.jpg file, close Sage, open Sage, close Sage, re-add the folder.jpg, and restart Sage to see if that kicks over this particular fanart issue. If it does, that's great, but I'm not thrilled about doing that process 360-some times... Don't know what to make out of this accidental little find... I'll try taking a movie with an existing folder.jpg, removing and re-adding it, to see if the fanart background starts showing correctly in that menu...

Tnx
-Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture-DVDBD-32bit.jpg (207.8 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg Capture-DVDBD-64bit.jpg (193.3 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by SteveW; 04-23-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:49 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks Steve, can you check that the Fanart path is correct in
Setup\Installed Plugins\General\Phoenix Core Services\Configure Plugin\Central Fanart Folder

John
Old 04-23-2019, 07:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks Steve, can you check that the Fanart path is correct in
Setup\Installed Plugins\General\Phoenix Core Services\Configure Plugin\Central Fanart Folder

John
I checked the location you mentioned above, and in detailed setup - customize - and both the metadata options and fan art options, and they all have the same fan art directory name path - C:\Fanart (I’m not using the UNC path currently)

Old 04-23-2019, 07:57 PM
Sage Icon

Can you click on one of the movies and select Manage Metadata then View/Edit Fan Art for this item and see if any backgrounds are shown in there
Old 04-23-2019, 08:19 PM
Sage Icon

I can see what's happening, but can't see why. It's doing exactly what it's supposed to if it fails to find FanArt. Really grasping at straws, but I wonder if it's a JAVA version issue? I see 32bit is running 1.8.0_144 and 64bit is running 1.8.0_191
Old 04-24-2019, 11:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Can you click on one of the movies and select Manage Metadata then View/Edit Fan Art for this item and see if any backgrounds are shown in there
So yes, when I go to view/edit, I can see the 3 to 5 background fanart images assigned to each movie. The folder.jpg image shows up as the thumbnail.

I can select a particular background to be default, but when I come back out, the folder.jpg/thumbnail is still what's shown.

I have no problem changing the default poster.

Now on these movies where I added a folder.jpg and now suddenly the fanart background shows correctly on movie details page, i can go in to view/edit, and try to change the default background to be one of the other background images, but it doesn't stick, though each time you access the movie, it does cycle through the known backgrounds. Posters can still be changed with no issues.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I can see what's happening, but can't see why. It's doing exactly what it's supposed to if it fails to find FanArt. Really grasping at straws, but I wonder if it's a JAVA version issue? I see 32bit is running 1.8.0_144 and 64bit is running 1.8.0_191

I could try running an earlier version of 64-bit java with it. I'll see if I can make that happen tonight and get back to you. I will try to go same or earlier versus the 32 bit java version.

Thanks for all your help by the way.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

Tried it with 1.8.0_144 of the 64 bit version of Java. Same behaviour.

Have also noticed that if I choose on the movie menu "Search for Fanart and Metadata", and select the appropriate movie, now the folder.jpg thumbnail for the background is also replaced by the proper fanart background. I guess I could trundle my way through and redo a search on every movie for fanart to fix the problem.

I've also noticed that while playing with fanart for a movie in the 64 bit Sage, when I started up 32 bit Sage, now the fanart is wiped out for that movie in 32 bit Sage, and seaching on it (the movie "2012") turns up no results.

I didn't think changing fanart details in Sage 64 bit (short of wiping out all the fanart) would affect it in 32 bit. Is there some fanart db file somewhere that's getting affected when each Sage instance is trying to use it?

I'm surprised no one else is running into this...

Tnx
-S