SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:31 PM
Sage User

Amazon FireOS & Placeshifter Mini-Client

There have been several random discussions in the forums the past 2-3 years, but haven't seen a consistent workable solution yet. Has anyone had any luck fighting the Sage login screen and the Amazon keyboard for the placeshifter client?

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65990
https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...t=63637&page=3
https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65915

Fire Tablets
- the login screen pops up and immediately the Android/Amazon keyboard appears
- I can type in my username just fine
- I cannot advance to the password field without dropping the keyboard
- Once keyboard is dropped, it doesn't come back and therefore can't type password

FireTV/Stick
- the login screen pops up and immediately the Amazon keyboard appears
- once the keyboard appears, there is no way to escape, enter, tab, etc
- only option is to exit Sage at that point

We take our FireStick with us on vacation and it would be awesome if we could access Sage from it. Currently we can only access Sage if we bring a full laptop or use an Android phone. Bring our MiBox won't be nearly as handy dandy, especially since it kind of sucks for access to HBO and Prime.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:58 AM
Sage Fanatic

+1

I think the issue is cause by the fact we can not advance to the next field to enter the password. I have not found a way around it.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 07-22-2019, 11:33 AM
Sage Fanatic

I don't suppose Amazon lets you load another keyboard. I had this problem when using a third-party virtual keyboard on my tablet. I switched to the Google keyboard just for this and it worked.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:23 AM
Sage Icon

I also think loading another keyboard will make it work. I realize Amazon makes that hard to do, but I've used this toolbox to make changes.

The toolbox does not require root and it is plug and play. It's super easy to install Google Services which includes the Play Store app which will then give you the ability to install apps like other keyboards (including the Gboard).

You can also remove (or restore) any of the installed Amazon apps too as I'm sure there are a few that you don't use.

In fact, I'm writing this response from an HD10 that I have used the toolbox with to install the Google Services. Im using Nova Launcher instead of the FireOS launcher and Brave instead of the stock browser. I also installed the SageTV Miniclient from the Google store (even though it is available from the Amazon app store). I don't recall having to do anything special to log into the Miniclient and it works just fine.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all

Last edited by sic0048; 07-23-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:48 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
I also think loading another keyboard will make it work. I realize Amazon makes that hard to do, but I've used this toolbox to make changes.
It looks like the Toolbox is just for Fire Tablets, not Fire TV.

Compatibility:

Amazon Fire HD 8 (2017).
Amazon Fire HD 8 (2018).
Amazon Fire HD 10 (2017).
Amazon Fire HD 8 (2016).
Amazon Fire HD 7 (2015).
Old 07-23-2019, 12:55 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
I don't suppose Amazon lets you load another keyboard. I had this problem when using a third-party virtual keyboard on my tablet. I switched to the Google keyboard just for this and it worked.
I connected the Harmony Bluetooth keyboard to my FireTV Stick and was still not able to jump to the password to login.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Would putting the FireTV app on a phone or tablet work? That allows using the phone's keyboard. In some test runs (NOT with Placeshifter, though) I've found that you often need to use the FireStick remote to position the cursor in the appropriate fields, but can then enter text via the app and it goes into the field. It's kind of clunky and often takes a few tries to get it working. I find that connecting a BlueTooth keyboard works better. But again, I haven't tried with PlaceShifter since I'm only using it from home so far.
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCRUser View Post
But again, I haven't tried with PlaceShifter since I'm only using it from home so far.
You can test from home, just create a Placeshifter entry and fill in the Locator ID. Placeshifter will ask for the userid/passwd when you go to connect.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Would putting the FireTV app on a phone or tablet work?
I just tested with the FireTV app on an Android phone. I got a message that the app was not using the standard FireTV keyboard. But it would not even send any keystrokes to the login screen.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:52 AM
Sage User

Has anyone figured the credentials thingy out?? I have these on every tv in the house. Now that i have better internet i would like to take firestick with me on Vaca and get sage. If we could only put in the credentials.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:02 PM
Sage Fanatic

One the login information is entered, the mini-client remembers it.

If we knew where that was stored, we might be able to create an entry so it does not prompt next time.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Possible fix to keyboard issue using FireStick miniclient

Ive been trying to login to my server via the internet as many have and always ran into the login screen and having the FireStick keyboard 'in the way'. By accident I tried the 'Space' button after entering username and password set on my server for placeshifter client and bingo...I'm logged in.. Perhaps the app sees this button as 'enter' ... regardless it seems to work.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Try "space" ! see my post
Old 01-14-2021, 10:51 AM
Sage Icon

The "space" button will generally "select" a checkbox when it is the selected text. (This isn't a SageTV function, it's a larger general function of the way apps are programmed).

It's been my experience that the "Automatically LogIn" option can only be selected by pressing the spacebar after putting your credentials in. You will see the green checkbox appear. Pressing "enter" will not actually select this option.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Old 03-02-2021, 09:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Not Fire-related, but password-entry related

On my new server I'm trying to set up placeshifter users. I setup some login/password combos, but when I try to enter any of them on my phone, I can enter the login fine. I use the swipe-in to get to the next field, and then type in the password. Hit the "back" button to dismiss the keyboard. Click "automatic login" and "login," and am told that the login is incorrect. Multiple repeats, multiple double-checks of logins and passwords. Multiple heads banged against multiple walls. Did the same thing using a bluetooth keyboard.

I went through this with the old server and can't for the life of me remember how I fixed it.
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:11 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
On my new server I'm trying to set up placeshifter users. I setup some login/password combos, but when I try to enter any of them on my phone, I can enter the login fine. I use the swipe-in to get to the next field, and then type in the password. Hit the "back" button to dismiss the keyboard. Click "automatic login" and "login," and am told that the login is incorrect. Multiple repeats, multiple double-checks of logins and passwords. Multiple heads banged against multiple walls. Did the same thing using a bluetooth keyboard.

I went through this with the old server and can't for the life of me remember how I fixed it.
You double checked on the main SageTV server what the actual placeshifter username and password are? I've been tricked a couple of times when I "thought" I knew what they were and then went back and found out that I was wrong!
OpenDCT
Old 03-03-2021, 03:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
You double checked on the main SageTV server what the actual placeshifter username and password are? I've been tricked a couple of times when I "thought" I knew what they were and then went back and found out that I was wrong!
Yes - more like quadruple-checked, created some new ones and triple-checked them. No help.

Tags
amazon, fireos, firestick, firetv, placeshifter