SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-18-2021, 06:17 AM
Sage Icon

10 Years - Hard to Believe

Ten years ago today, the acquisition of SageTV by Google was announced. There's been a few bumps in the road along the way, but the fact that there are still quite a few of us using the software and hardware highlights what a great solution Jeff (and others) created. I've purchased numerous products over the years that have not lasted 10 years cradle to grave. We'll see what the next ten years brings. Happy anniversary!
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 06-18-2021, 09:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Wow, hard to believe that was ten years ago. I doubt there will be many people left in the community in ten years.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm still here. Not a contributor at all but a dedicated user.

I've since switched from HTPCs to Shields and Firesticks for my clients.

Still going strong!
Old 06-18-2021, 02:50 PM
Sage Expert

I just came over here to check out the forum because I got an email from Schedule Direct to confirm that I did not want to renew my subscription. I am now using Youtube TV as well as Channels (but I'm not using that much of Channels). While I appreciate that STV was opened source, that we got to use it for another 10 years, the work that the community as put into it to make it work with updated technology, unfortunately, it was just time to let my server go. I just couldn't do it anymore. It was a tough and sad decision. However, it is awesome that I can now use YTTV anywhere by just logging into the app or website.

I will always have fond memory of STV and the joy its given my family and myself. But the way technology is today, the cost of technology, it was unfortunately time to move on.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 06-25-2021, 10:07 AM
Sage User

still going strong here with my 5 PC clients... I really hope we'll be able to use sagetv with ATSC 3.0
Old 06-25-2021, 10:56 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4runnr View Post
I'm still here. Not a contributor at all but a dedicated user.
Ditto. Been here since 2006. Too lazy to write software these days.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:38 PM
Sage Icon

We still use SageTV on a nearly daily basis.

I've been lucky enough that my cable company still offers virtually every channel over cable card service. Once that is gone, I'm not sure what I will do and there is a much greater chance that my SageTV system will go away. But right now I save a ton of money by having a single 6 channel cable card tuner and either HD-300s or Android Firesticks at every TV for local control/playback. I don't have a single cable box in my house and therefore don't pay any rental fees which now adays seem to start at about $12/mo per TV and go up from there.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 06-25-2021, 02:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Been using SageTV since 2010 - started out with two STBs and HD-PVRs. I have been fortunate to have completely DRM free cable tv via cablecard (no STBs) for a few years (Frontier), preceded by mostly DRM free (Verizon) cable tv, but have just cut the cord anyways. Frontier was dropping channels and raising prices.

I started using Channels DVR a few months ago and now have moved to Youtube TV. Channels DVR records YTTV content via TVEverywhere. It has access to all the channels I am interested in and can skip commercials with comskip.

YTTV has its own cloud DVR. The only downside is that the audio for both YTTV in the app or TVE is stereo only. I have two HDHR Quatros, one assigned to Channels DVR, and the 2nd assigned to SageTV, so now, SageTV has been relegated to a backup OTA DVR only.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

I was a LONG time BeyondTV user, well after they quit updating the personal version. But certain things about it always bugged me, so I started playing with SageTV, and right when I was thinking seriously about purchasing a license key, Google bought it up and killed that for me.

After it went open source, I started playing with it again, and in 2017 when I moved from fiber internet and no-DRM Frontier to another house in Spectrum-land with all-DRM, I took the plunge and migrated everything to SageTV. I had to resort to STB's and HDPVR's again, but I've had much fewer issues with SageTV than I did with BTV.

It works for us, and I hope to keep using it for many more years.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Still going - and on 32 bit, W7 to boot. Didn’t like hearing that there will be a Windows 11 today. Hopefully that won’t cause problems.
SageTV was so well done, and so far ahead of everything. Only TiVo was more reliable over time.
But now, the streaming-weasel content suppliers would like both to go away.
I’ll be recording the last show when the lights get turned out though.
If only cable was still cable. Still works well with satellite though
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 06-27-2021, 08:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Still going - and on 32 bit, W7 to boot. Didn’t like hearing that there will be a Windows 11 today. Hopefully that won’t cause problems.
SageTV was so well done, and so far ahead of everything. Only TiVo was more reliable over time.
But now, the streaming-weasel content suppliers would like both to go away.
I’ll be recording the last show when the lights get turned out though.
If only cable was still cable. Still works well with satellite though
Seems like the streaming services are breaking from the Netflix and Hulus and even OTA Broadcast ... It appears that before the shows come out on broadcast TV Disney .... Paramont ... CBS all access etc.. are where you can watch them. For EX ... the Series EVIL aired last season on regular TV now season 2 is on Paramont.

Last edited by nyplayer; 06-27-2021 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4rh4wk View Post
still going strong here with my 5 PC clients... I really hope we'll be able to use sagetv with ATSC 3.0

Agreed. I've been here since 2007. I lurk and read virtually every post weekly and use SageTV every day. I also hope it survives ATSC 3.0. Sage just works and I've never found anything I like better. Not sure what we'd do if I had to find something different.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

using SageTV since 2006 on a daily basis...
Intel® Celeron® Quad-Core Processor J1900 @ 1.99 GHz; AsRock Q1900M (Intel(R) Chipset (2013-08-01) Ver.9.4.4.1006 Lithography 22 nm; Bay Trail-M/D SOC (formerly known as ValleyView2); RAM 2x4Gb Kingston 1600MHz PC3-12800 DDR3; SSD 128GB & HDD 2TB; SageTV HD200 (Firmware v.20100909 0); Hauppauge HVR-2250 PCI-E; Hauppauge HD PVR-1212; USB-UIRT; Win7Ultimate SP1; FireFox v.41.0.2; SageTV v.9.0.4.224 (STV v.2015101301); VLC v2.2.1; JRE v.1.8.00_73
Old 07-17-2021, 05:54 AM
Sage Fanatic

I'm still here. Still use SageTV but not to the extent that I used to.
I still check the forums daily as part of my morning routine.

The only things I record are the occasional series on OTA TV, the Formula 1 and an occasional live football match.

Other than that I don't watch live TV, it's mainly Netflix and YouTube.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Prior to SageTV, I had 2 VCRs for recording TV shows. Shortly after getting SageTV setup and working, the VCRs were turned off and "mothballed", so to say (I still have the VCRs but haven't used them since mid 2005).

I still watch stuff daily using SageTV. I try to record what I can but shows I care to watch have gotten a bit thin since the COVID lockdown.
I have been downloading shows from the streaming providers and importing them into to Sage to watch.

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:58 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData View Post
I have been downloading shows from the streaming providers and importing them into to Sage to watch.
Just curious what you are using to do this. I have been using PlayOn desktop.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 07-18-2021, 05:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
RedFox.bz - AnyStream
Currently Amazon, Flix, D+, and Hulu are supported. It is still considered beta for now. You can get some premium cable shows through Amazon Channels.

No 4K - at best 1080p, but 6 channel Dolby Digital + is supported(when offered by provider).

Old 07-22-2021, 10:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData View Post
Currently Amazon, Flix, D+, and Hulu are supported. It is still considered beta for now. You can get some premium cable shows through Amazon Channels.

No 4K - at best 1080p, but 6 channel Dolby Digital + is supported(when offered by provider).
I wonder if this is legal like Playon or will the feds come knocking on my door. Playon has stood the test of time.

Last edited by nyplayer; 07-22-2021 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm not a lawyer so...... take with a grain of salt...

You're not stealing anything, you do need a legitimate account with any of the supported providers. As long as you're downloading for personal use and not to share on torrent sites and the lot.

I wouldn't expect the providers to be thrilled and overwhelmed that anyone is downloading from them rather than streaming. In many cases the video and audio quality is better than what the providers will allow you to download. It is not Blu-Ray quality but good enough for TV viewing.

My opinion, it is not all that different from ripping a DVD/BD to disk to watch. Much like one of their other products,
Quote:
AnyDVD

Old 07-22-2021, 02:45 PM
Sage Fanatic

They give you a 21 day trial with 10 downloads. So I gave it a try.

I am pretty sure that it is NOT a download. Their "download" takes just as long as it would to play the show. The one major difference is that it is 5.1 sound instead of stereo like PlayOn.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)