SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Wow - It's been 3 years...

I just realized we passed the 3 year mark last week. I know Jeff made comments about "staying tuned" and it sounded like there was hope for the future, but after 3 years I guess that is unlikely. Maybe Google didn't allow him to go in the direction with still providing SageTV to the general population like he had hoped? Hard to say I guess...
Server: Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, Intel i5, 8 GB, Samsung EVO 850 500 GB for OS, WD Black 4 TB + WD Black 1 TB for Recordings, 36TB Synology 1019+ for DVD/Bluray Rips, Music, Home Movies, etc., SageTV Server 64 Bit Ver 9.2.6.976, HDPVR x 2, Bell TV 6131 Receiver x 2, USB-UIRT with 56 KHz Receiver

Clients: PC Client x 2, HD-300 x 2 (1 Using Netgear MoCA Coax Bridges), SageTV Miniclient on NVidia Shield x 3
Old 06-24-2014, 06:00 PM
Sage Icon

I just upgraded my server to a new SSD OS drive and to Win 8.1. I've bought a handful of spare extenders (still might buy more). I'm not going anywhere soon.

Still the best out there.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Agreed...had hoped for something more, but at least the EPG still works. Seeing that Google owns both Sage AND Youtube, it would be nice if they would allow for better integration and updates between the two.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 06-25-2014, 05:50 AM
SageTVaholic

I think we all, including Jeff were hoping for something more, but I don't think anyone should really be surprised that Google has no interest in supporting the old SageTV community.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Happy anniversary, everyone!
"Recordings": "2TB SATA",
"Imports": "2x 4TB USB",
"Clients": ["HD300", "HD200", "SageTVClient"]}

Last edited by nycjoe; 06-25-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Location: Stockton, CA - Most miserable city in the USA, SageTV makes it bearable
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I think we all, including Jeff were hoping for something more, but I don't think anyone should really be surprised that Google has no interest in supporting the old SageTV community.
Actually, I feel they do still support us to a great extent by still providing the EPG and this forum. They could have shut it down and left us totally in the dust.

I'm not hopeful though for anything beyond this at this point. The future of TV is changing and it is not in the HTPCs/home brew DVR's favor, but where it lands ultimately, nobody really knows. For now I'm just going to enjoy what I have. SageTV is still my primary way of watching content, but as a "hobby," I dabble in appletv, roku, XBMC, and chromecast.
Client 1, 2, 3, and 4: HD200.
NAS: Synology DS220+ 8TB (Movie Storage)
Sage Add-ons: Jetty, Neilms Webserver (Jetty), Mobile Web, Play-On Plug-in, Comskip Plug-in
Old 06-25-2014, 09:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Agreed...the forums and EPG are the lifeblood of the continued existence. And it's still the greatest, all-purpose TV/media manipulation system I've ever come across....
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 06-26-2014, 05:48 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm guessing we still have EPG data only because GoogleTV needs it and they probably haven't fundamentally changed the system so it's essentially "free" to provide it to us to.

And running the forum is probably pocket change to google, if they're actually paying for the hosting.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:54 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I'm guessing we still have EPG data only because GoogleTV needs it and they probably haven't fundamentally changed the system so it's essentially "free" to provide it to us to.

And running the forum is probably pocket change to google, if they're actually paying for the hosting.
Hey, man.... whatever the reason.... it's all good to me....
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

I'd feel soooo much better if the forum was transferred to independent hands, you know?
Old 06-26-2014, 01:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
I'd feel soooo much better if the forum was transferred to independent hands, you know?
You may not realize it. But what you have now is much better than what you think you want. Jeff makes sure the forums live on and the EPG is still there, FREE to us even though it costs money to run. I imagine the EPG does in fact tie into the EPG used in Google Fiber TV as well so if that's true it won't go away anytime soon to say the least.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
You may not realize it. But what you have now is much better than what you think you want. Jeff makes sure the forums live on and the EPG is still there, FREE to us even though it costs money to run. I imagine the EPG does in fact tie into the EPG used in Google Fiber TV as well so if that's true it won't go away anytime soon to say the least.
well, as long as you have insider knowledge that I don't, then that's good news. Those two things keep Sage viable. Without one or the other, eeek
Old 06-27-2014, 08:07 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
... And running the forum is probably pocket change to google, if they're actually paying for the hosting.
Right and a trace route does go back to forums.freytechnologies.com, so who says Jeff isn't footing the bill himself for the server it's running on ...
Old 06-27-2014, 03:40 PM
Sage Expert

If they really cared, and they're really not going to do anything else with SageTV, why not open source it?? To me its really asinine of Google not to.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
If they really cared, and they're really not going to do anything else with SageTV, why not open source it?? To me its really asinine of Google not to.
Why would they open source it when they are probably using the Code in google fiber or Google TV?
Old 06-27-2014, 07:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Why would they open source it when they are probably using the Code in google fiber or Google TV?
yep, just because the majority of us aren't using the current incarnation of it, SageTV is still alive and well in the guise of Google Fiber.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:47 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
yep, just because the majority of us aren't using the current incarnation of it, SageTV is still alive and well in the guise of Google Fiber.
I remember Jeff saying that on the back of the Google TV box, there's a label that says SageTV 8.xx on it. It is very much alive as a Google product.

And the real reason why EPG is still alive is because Jeff fought to keep it.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:08 PM
SageTVaholic

SageTV IS Google Fiber TV's DVR engine. That is why it won't be open sourced.

This is a screenshot from my Google Fiber TV system info page I snapped today during Mexico's exciting finish in the World Cup. Note the DVR Java Version info: SageTV V8.3.4.3

Last edited by Brent; 06-29-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Sage Icon

Brent, you should have put up a World Cup spoiler alert on your post. You know that SageTV can act as a DVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
SageTV IS Google Fiber TV's DVR engine. That is why it won't be open sourced.

This is a screenshot from my Google Fiber TV system info page I snapped today ... World Cup. Note the DVR Java Version info: SageTV V8.3.4.3

Last edited by phelme; 06-29-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Good point. Updated to remove the spoiler...