SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-22-2021, 03:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData View Post
I'm not a lawyer so...... take with a grain of salt...

You're not stealing anything, you do need a legitimate account with any of the supported providers. As long as you're downloading for personal use and not to share on torrent sites and the lot.

I wouldn't expect the providers to be thrilled and overwhelmed that anyone is downloading from them rather than streaming. In many cases the video and audio quality is better than what the providers will allow you to download. It is not Blu-Ray quality but good enough for TV viewing.

My opinion, it is not all that different from ripping a DVD/BD to disk to watch. Much like one of their other products, .
Playon adds a watermark and this doesn't so not sure if the watermark/disclaimer makes a difference as far as legality.

Last edited by nyplayer; 07-22-2021 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
They give you a 21 day trial with 10 downloads. So I gave it a try.

I am pretty sure that it is NOT a download. Their "download" takes just as long as it would to play the show. The one major difference is that it is 5.1 sound instead of stereo like PlayOn.
It is 100% download. In the settings there is an option to change the download speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Playon adds a watermark and this doesn't so not sure if the watermark/disclaimer makes a difference as far as legality.
Supposedly, some of the providers are adding some type of watermark as well.

The only constant in the Universe is change.

Last edited by UgaData; 07-22-2021 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It is 100% download. In the settings there is an option to change the download speed.

Supposedly, some of the providers are adding some type of watermark as well.
It is super fast. Tested a 2 hour movie took 5 minutes.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:43 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
It is super fast. Tested a 2 hour movie took 5 minutes.
You are right. I never went into setting to change the download speed.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 07-23-2021, 05:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

I am just a user and have no idea how the program actually works but they have stated many times in their forum that it is a downloader.

below is link to a sticky in their forum:

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I am just a user and have no idea how the program actually works but they have stated many times in their forum that it is a downloader.

below is link to a sticky in their forum:
Maybe it uses the same logic that you use when you download a movie to a tablet for later viewing ... I noticed it post processes the movie probably to put it into a regular mp4.

Last edited by nyplayer; 07-23-2021 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV forever

Antenna is my world. I'm preparing to move my SageTV to new hardware that supports enough RAM for up to date SAGE 9 64 bit and Java heap sizes. Before doing it I'm looking around at other options for Antenna DVR with Sage features supporting 6 tuners and not finding anything so far.

Also figuring out replacing Windows Home Server features I use daily so I can retire that box. My Sage TV runs on this WHS. It seems at the moment the solution involves a NAS with bare metal backup software such as synology with Active Backup. Supplies backup, data storage and remote access. I guess Sage TV has to run on a separate box. So I need two boxes to replace Windows home server.

Sage TV is simple to use, Always works, Always has way more than I have time to watch recorded and available when I want to watch.

So far Streaming via Nvidea Shield is horribly inefficient compared to using SageTV with HD300. Streaming on Shield or my phone seems to be a Pain in the a.. A zillion apps that are near useless without subscriptions and a pain to access things with horrible remote control features and ads that can't be sped up jumped or skipped. Friend using amazon fire encountered loads of frustration last time I was over. Couldn't get what he wanted us to watch which he paid for to play.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Also figuring out replacing Windows Home Server features I use daily so I can retire that box. My Sage TV runs on this WHS. It seems at the moment the solution involves a NAS with bare metal backup software such as synology with Active Backup. Supplies backup, data storage and remote access. I guess Sage TV has to run on a separate box. So I need two boxes to replace Windows home server.
I think some of the newer NAS devices can run dockers, you might be able to run the SageTV docker and keep everything on a single box. Depending on the tuners that you are using, you might also have to run the OpenDCT docker, but it would still be all on the same box.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 07-29-2021, 12:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
I think some of the newer NAS devices can run dockers, you might be able to run the SageTV docker and keep everything on a single box. Depending on the tuners that you are using, you might also have to run the OpenDCT docker, but it would still be all on the same box.
I believe I've seen mention of dockers in trying to understand the synology products and choosing one. I use the original white HDhomeruns. With the docker solution I'm wondering about ease of setup it and maintaining it over time vs putting sage on a separate windows box with recording drives in it to minimize nic traffic.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:05 PM
SageTVaholic

IMO the way to go is SageTV on unRAID. unRAID is a NAS OS and you can more easily pick your own hardware. It requires less maintenance than Windows - I haven't updated mine in a few years which is probably both a good and bad thing. You can run SageTV in dockers and you can run all kinds of other stuff in dockers as well - Plex, Unifi controller, Torrent clients, etc. It works especially well if you are using HDHRs as tuners as they are network devices rather than needing drivers.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:15 PM
Sage Icon

And if you use comskip and/or transcoding, a commercial NAS unit may run out of gas. With Unraid, you have a lot of options in terms of hardware power.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes I do use comskip. Good point. So an energy efficient NAS for mass storage, media, bare metal backup and remote access along with a second higher performance computer for Sage recorded TV and processing with comskip makes sense.

I have a lot of catching up learning to do if not installing on windows. Looking at troubleshooting posts here about configuring to use sage on docker I'm not immediately seeing how this will be simpler than installing sage on say, a desktop Linux os or windows.

And yet I read here that there is a docker with sage and comskip already setup... But I don't find it. Wish there was (maybe there is?) a general outline of the steps to do to setup sage on unraid and docker. I'd have no problem downloading and installing sage on windows. I've installed various Linux distros and then not really used them except to poke around and install a few packages. Installing unraid looks similar. I notice unraids limitation with regard to the parity disk being your largest disk and you can never add a disk larger than the parity disk thus I would not want to use it as a NAS. That seems like a huge disadvantage compared to my Brothers experience upping storage on his Synology. There ends my non windows knowledge.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:47 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yes I do use comskip. Good point. So an energy efficient NAS for mass storage, media, bare metal backup and remote access along with a second higher performance computer for Sage recorded TV and processing with comskip makes sense.

I have a lot of catching up learning to do if not installing on windows. Looking at troubleshooting posts here about configuring to use sage on docker I'm not immediately seeing how this will be simpler than installing sage on say, a desktop Linux os or windows.

And yet I read here that there is a docker with sage and comskip already setup... But I don't find it. Wish there was (maybe there is?) a general outline of the steps to do to setup sage on unraid and docker. I'd have no problem downloading and installing sage on windows. I've installed various Linux distros and then not really used them except to poke around and install a few packages. Installing unraid looks similar. I notice unraids limitation with regard to the parity disk being your largest disk and you can never add a disk larger than the parity disk thus I would not want to use it as a NAS. That seems like a huge disadvantage compared to my Brothers experience upping storage on his Synology. There ends my non windows knowledge.
In the end, you need to make whatever choice is best for you. For the record though, I just wanted to mention a few things:
  • Most commercial NAS products run a Linux operating system, with a web gui that you access for configuration and settings.
  • Unraid is built around the Slackware distribution of Linux, with a web gui that you access for configuration and settings. So the user experience for Unraid is not going to be dramatically different from a commercial NAS user experience.
  • You are correct in stating that the parity disk needs to be your largest disk. However, if you want to use an even larger disk in your system, you would simply replace your parity disk with the larger disk and rebuild parity. Then you would add the drive that you replaced to the storage array, thus increasing overall storage space. There is a risk that if a drive went down during the rebuild, you could lose data. I went with a 10TB parity disk, and have yet to need to upgrade to anything larger.
Finally, there is a 30-day free trial, if you want to give it a shot.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:43 PM
Sage Icon

Oh, and I forgot one other very important point. I have been using a NAS at home for well over 20 years, I am currently using a seven year old 4-bay QNAP device. I have three bays setup in a RAID-5 configuration, the fourth bay is used for a weekly backup of the RAID-5 array. Now here's the important part: since I have irreplaceable files (e.g. home videos of my children growing up) stored on the NAS, in the event of hardware failure, I can take that single disk out of the fourth drive bay and access all of the files from any Linux workstation. I can have full access to any of those files within 15 minutes or so after the NAS hardware failure. I'm not sure how long it would take me to access files off the disks in the RAID array, nor do I want to find out.

As far as my Unraid server, since I only use it for media files, I am not as concerned about data loss. But, if the parity drive dies, I still have access to all of the files in the storage array. If one of the drives in the storage array dies, I still have access to all of the files in the storage array due to the parity protection. If two drives fail simultaneously, I lose only the data on those two drives, the data on the other drives remain accessible. If the hardware fails, I can either swap in new hardware, or connect the storage array drive(s) to a Linux workstation and I immediately have access to all of the data on that drive.