SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:25 AM
Sage Icon

Hello,
Quote:
Originally Posted by archcommus View Post
Hi, I'd like to use your software but I don't want to use the custom volume overlay, it appears though even with the box unchecked. Any suggestions? Thanks.
The volume OSD will be shown if :

* you use the "ChangeVolume" action
* whenever master volume change, if you checked the "show volume osd whenever volume change"

So you can :

* uncheck the "show volume osd...."
* not use the "ChangeVolume" action OR choose to display the OSD offscreen (top/right or bottom right) by using the position sliders when you click on the "Options" button for the Volume Osd Skin.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephaneM View Post
Hello,

The volume OSD will be shown if :

* you use the "ChangeVolume" action
* whenever master volume change, if you checked the "show volume osd whenever volume change"

So you can :

* uncheck the "show volume osd...."
* not use the "ChangeVolume" action OR choose to display the OSD offscreen (top/right or bottom right) by using the position sliders when you click on the "Options" button for the Volume Osd Skin.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Thank you. I believe having the "ChangeVolume" action forcing the overlay to appear is not a good design, because I cannot remove the ChangeVolume action because this also strips the ability from the volume keys on my keyboard. This means that ChangeVolume for the default profile must be kept, forcing me to use your custom overlay. Even if I move it off screen, I'm still not seeing the default Microsoft overlay, which is what I want. Please let me know if you agree or disagree. I'd really like to give your software a shot!
Old 08-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I believe having the "ChangeVolume" action forcing the overlay to appear is not a good design, because I cannot remove the ChangeVolume action because this also strips the ability from the volume keys on my keyboard.
You can very well use the "AppCommand" action, with "MediaVolumeUp" and "MediaVolumeDown" instead of the "ChangeVolume" action.

This way you'll have the default behavior of a multimedia keyboard.

Quote:
This means that ChangeVolume for the default profile must be kept, forcing me to use your custom overlay. Even if I move it off screen, I'm still not seeing the default Microsoft overlay, which is what I want.
Yes this is the very design of the "ChageVolume" action => having a consitent volume OSD throughout the sytem and disable existing ones. That's why the "ChangeVolume" OSD can't be disabled and you should not use it.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Unfortunately MediaVolumeUp/Down do not display any OSD at all, so also not good.

I understand that you want ChangeVolume to use a consistent system-wide OSD, but what's the harm in allowing that override OSD to be disabled? If the Microsoft OSD was used and only appeared at the same times it appears without the software running at all - in other words, no override at all - I'd be happy. I understand this might not be possible as I don't know the details of how a program like this works.

I don't mean to nitpick, just really trying to see if I can get this program to suit my needs. I appreciate your effort tremendously.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Unfortunately MediaVolumeUp/Down do not display any OSD at all, so also not good.
Then use "PressKey" with "VolumeDown" / "VolumeUp".

Quote:
I understand that you want ChangeVolume to use a consistent system-wide OSD, but what's the harm in allowing that override OSD to be disabled?
Disabling the LM RKM OSD will not bring back other OSD. So there is really no point at all to add an option to disable the LM RKM OSD when all you have to do is not use the "ChangeVolume" action.

Quote:
If the Microsoft OSD was used and only appeared at the same times it appears without the software running at all - in other words, no override at all - I'd be happy. I understand this might not be possible as I don't know the details of how a program like this works.
LM RKM doesn't override other OSD, it only allows you to remap your PC remote buttons. For remapping to be effective, it's better that the native software doesn't "see" that you press a button on your remote (otherwise LM RKM wouldn't be that useful)

In your case it seems that the Microsof OSD only react to the VolumeUp / VolumeDown keyboard keys pressed event (whereas it should react to the volume change event...).
Old 08-23-2008, 12:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
LM RKM doesn't override other OSD, it only allows you to remap your PC remote buttons. For remapping to be effective, it's better that the native software doesn't "see" that you press a button on your remote (otherwise LM RKM wouldn't be that useful)
Ah okay, that makes sense, thanks for the explanation. And using PressKey worked great, those buttons now have the normal behavior with the normal OSD. And I have configured the rest of it how I wanted. Thanks for the help and the great software!

Quick question, would it be possible to store the config and preferences data in the user's personal app data directory if they chose "Just Me" for install, instead of in the "all users" app data directory? This would be the appropriate spot and is handy for consistency purposes.

Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:40 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Quick question, would it be possible to store the config and preferences data in the user's personal app data directory if they chose "Just Me" for install, instead of in the "all users" app data directory? This would be the appropriate spot and is handy for consistency purposes.
As LM RKM features a service that works for all users (the service cannot have a user context), the configuration must be stored in the 'All Users' directory (or ProgramData for Vista).

Moreover, the "Just Me" / "Everyone" option in setup should not be used to make change to the very location of the configuration storage, but only to add a shortcut to the application in the right place (that is in the Start Menu for all users, or for the current user installing the application)

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks, Stephane. The software is working really well for my needs. I seem to be having a problem with AppActivate, however. Since the arrow buttons, numbers, etc. are just keyboard hooks, I do not want them to control Sage without Sage having focus like the other buttons. But, I want those other buttons to give Sage focus when pressed so that the arrow keys and all that will then work for Sage. I do this by doing a FindWindow, then a 1000 ms Pause, then an AppActivate and finally a SendMesage. The message gets sent and the command in Sage is executed, but then about half the time Sage has focus (arrow buttons work in Sage), and the other half it doesn't (arrow buttons are controlling whatever else I was in, like the desktop). I can't figure out why it's inconsistent. I've used both SageApp,SageWin for FindWindow (what I used to use for the Hauppauge remote) as well as SunAwtFrame,SageTV (this is what your software picks up for SageTV when I press the "record" button). The behavior appears the same for both.

Again, thanks.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I seem to be having a problem with AppActivate, however.../...doing a FindWindow, then a 1000 ms Pause, then an AppActivate and finally a SendMesage. The message gets sent and the command in Sage is executed, but then about half the time Sage has focus (arrow buttons work in Sage), and the other half it doesn't
I would try to move the "Pause" action between AppActivate and SendMessage (the pause is required to be sure that AppActivate has done its job. AppActivate launch a new process (this is required to be able to steal focus from focused application) and then request focus change. So it will take some time to execute (200ms should be enough though if your PC is not overloaded at that time).

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:25 PM

First off, I want to say thanks for this application. For the most part it has been working great. The only issue I have, keeping me from moving this into the living room to replace my DirectTV DVR is that it still takes too long to change the channels. I've played with various settings, but it is still taking longer than I would like. Is there a way to configure it such that it sends the key I press as soon as I press it, versus SageTV waiting for all three digits to be entered then sending the digits to my DirecTV receiver?

Thanks and regards,
Mike
Old 09-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Sage Icon

Hi Mike,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
Is there a way to configure it such that it sends the key I press as soon as I press it, versus SageTV waiting for all three digits to be entered then sending the digits to my DirecTV receiver?
Unfortunately this is not possible. SageTV will only send the channel change request when you have completed it in SageTV (three digits or pressing on "Ok"/"Enter")

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:23 AM

Stephane,
Thanks for the quick response. I have one other question then. After enter the three digits for a particular channel I press the enter button, which I beleive is mapped to the Enter/Select button for my DirecTV receiver, it seems like that is not being passed to the IR Blaster. I can see the three numbers enter on to the screen (from the receiver, not SageTV), but there is a pause before it actually changes channels, the same type of pause I get when I don't click enter after keying in the three digits (DirecTV has some channels that are 4 digits, so the receiver waits for you to enter a fourth digit prior to changing the channel if you don't click enter).

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
After enter the three digits for a particular channel I press the enter button, which I beleive is mapped to the Enter/Select button for my DirecTV receiver, it seems like that is not being passed to the IR Blaster.
SageTV don't forward the "Enter" to the channel change request. You have to add it into LM RKM.

In the IR Device editor, type the name of your "Select" button (as you see it in the tree) in the "Send these commands after channel change" field.

Note: you do not need to restart LM RKM or SageTV for this to take effect.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:50 AM

That makes sense now, I thought the "Send these commands after channel change" would be sent with each digit that was pressed, but since SageTV essentially batches the digits into one channel change event I can see how this works. I'll give it a try when I get home.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 09-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Sage Expert

Stephane,
I have been using LM Remote Keymap for a few days now with an MCE remote and I'm noticing a strange phenomenon. When LM RKM is running, a channel up or channel down command is being issued twice per button press. It happens too fast to make a difference when actually changing channels; however, when using it to page through the program guide, the guide jumps 2 pages for every button press!

I do not have LM RKM set to intercept or modify the channel button, only the PC power button and the # key. Both of which are mapped to keystrokes.

Just thought I would let you know about it and check to see if you had any ideas on why it might be occurring.

If you need any more info, let me know and I'll be happy to provide it.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Sage Icon

Hello,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
When LM RKM is running, a channel up or channel down command is being issued twice per button press.
Channle Up / Channel Down (as well as Power, Record, Pause, Rewind, FForward, Play, Info, Green Button, Video, Guide, TV, DVD, Teletext, Red, Green, Yellow, Blue) are buttons that all applications can listen to, and LM RKM cannot prevent that (though it can stop the default MCE behavior for the Green button, TV, Guide, DVD...)

So when you have double key press, it means that the application you are using is responding to the button press without needing any third party software.

You have then two options:

* either configure the application to not respond to the MCE button press (in SageTV it means that you have to selet "No Remote")
* or assign a "None" action to the affected button in LM RKM for the application profile.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
...So when you have double key press, it means that the application you are using is responding to the button press without needing any third party software.

You have then two options:

* either configure the application to not respond to the MCE button press (in SageTV it means that you have to selet "No Remote")
* or assign a "None" action to the affected button in LM RKM for the application profile.
Aha!
I did not realize that LM RKM was intercepting and sending button presses when there is no action is assigned. I'll assign a none action to the channel button when I get home.

Thanks for the response and I'm glad it was nothing more than a case of me being dense. Seems to be happening more and more these days
Old 09-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Sage Icon

Would it be possible to add support for the xbox 360 remote? This remote sends commands that can be received by the normal MCE remote receiver (most keys are the same as the normal MCE remote), but has extra keys that are handy. My harmony lets me send all of the ir codes, so these gives me the ability to map more sage commands to the remote since I am out of keys as it works right now.

The main reason I want to do this is to try and enable discrete IR commands for on/off, as the toggle is causing some WAF issues right now. My goal is to tell Vista to ignore the "sleep" button for shutdown (which should mean if the power toggle ir code is set, it will do nothing), so if the system is up and gets a power toggle ir code, nothing happens. But it should still wake up the system, turning it effectively into a discrete "on" code.

Then I'd take another unused ir code, use your app to map it to suspend, and effectively this turns this new ir code into a discrete "off" code.

I haven't found a more elegant way of solving the discrete on/off code problem, but if anyone has a better idea that would be great.
Client 3: Media MVP to 15" Toshiba LCD
Client 4: HD100 connected to Samsung 23" 720P LCD
Client 5: HD100 connected to Vizio VX37L
Old 09-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
Would it be possible to add support for the xbox 360 remote? This remote sends commands that can be received by the normal MCE remote receiver
I'm not sure. In the upcoming version of LM RKM, you'll be able to see in the Live Trace Viewer if any unsupported MCE codes are seen by LM RKM. If you can see unsupported remote codes when pushing on the extra buttons, yes I will be able to create a new remote layout.

Quote:
I haven't found a more elegant way of solving the discrete on/off code problem, but if anyone has a better idea that would be great.
I would use the "Power" button to put the computer to sleep (either by using the default behavior of the button, or LM RKM. To disable native behavior, go into the Vista Power Options, Edit your current plan settings, change advanced power settings, and for Power buttons and lid / Sleep button action, choose "Do nothing") and I would use one on the numeric buttons / ok buttons to wake up the PC.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I'm not sure. In the upcoming version of LM RKM, you'll be able to see in the Live Trace Viewer if any unsupported MCE codes are seen by LM RKM. If you can see unsupported remote codes when pushing on the extra buttons, yes I will be able to create a new remote layout.

I would use the "Power" button to put the computer to sleep (either by using the default behavior of the button, or LM RKM. To disable native behavior, go into the Vista Power Options, Edit your current plan settings, change advanced power settings, and for Power buttons and lid / Sleep button action, choose "Do nothing") and I would use one on the numeric buttons / ok buttons to wake up the PC.

Regards,
Stéphane.
I'll try it out and see what new codes are being sent.

On the power button issue, I didn't know there was a way to change the ir code that wakes up the system when using the MCE receiver. How do you configure that in Vista?

thx
mike
Client 3: Media MVP to 15" Toshiba LCD
Client 4: HD100 connected to Samsung 23" 720P LCD
Client 5: HD100 connected to Vizio VX37L