SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:50 AM
Sage User

Thanks, I've managed to sort my main problem out which is pressing the sky button before every channel change so that if the STB goes into sleep mode it turns back on !!
Old 05-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Sage Expert

Remapping channel up/down

Hi Stephane

I wanted to remap the channel up/down keys on my MCE remote to use the regular up/down from the arrow keys (So i get the mini guide instead of channel change) I changed the buttons in your SW to keypress up and keypress down but now I get the miniguide and the channel change ! any ideas ?

Thanks

Tim
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 05-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewston View Post
I wanted to remap the channel up/down keys on my MCE remote.../...I changed the buttons in your SW to keypress up and keypress down but now I get the miniguide and the channel change ! any ideas ?
Have you tell SageTV to use an MCE Remote, if yes, this is your problem. SageTV is also listening to the remote and I cannot take over this.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Sage Expert

Yes, my remote is set as MCE in setup. I guess I can live with it - thanks for the quick response
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 05-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewston View Post
Yes, my remote is set as MCE in setup
You don't need to, just tell SageTV you do not use any remote...
Old 05-15-2008, 04:51 AM
Sage User

LM Remote KeyMap looks like a very powerful program. It can become even more powerful once it can accept commands directly from a remote LM Remote KeyMap server (ala IR Server Suite's input service). Just my 2 cents.

I am trying to get LM Remote KeyMap version 4.3 with SageTV to control my STB using MCE compatible blaster. Things work okay if the service is not running; if I change a channel in SageTV, my IR blaster blinks red and changes the channel on the STB. But if I start the service, then changing the channel in SageTV doesnt send the IR command to the blaster and therefore no channel change command is sent to the STB. This is very strange.

One more little annoyance. If the gui part of LM Remote KeyMap is running, the response of arrow keys and the enter key becomes very sluggish. Exiting the gui solves this problem.

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFH View Post
LM Remote KeyMap looks like a very powerful program. It can become even more powerful once it can accept commands directly from a remote LM Remote KeyMap server (ala IR Server Suite's input service). Just my 2 cents.
This is a feature that I'm thinking of.

Quote:
I am trying to get LM Remote KeyMap version 4.3 with SageTV to control my STB using MCE compatible blaster. Things work okay if the service is not running; if I change a channel in SageTV, my IR blaster blinks red and changes the channel on the STB. But if I start the service, then changing the channel in SageTV doesnt send the IR command
Are you running Windows Vista? The channel change plugin is working with or without service mode. So I would suspect a sage.properties file mix up (with Vista Virtualization)

Quote:
One more little annoyance. If the gui part of LM Remote KeyMap is running, the response of arrow keys and the enter key becomes very sluggish. Exiting the gui solves this problem.
This is expected behavior. LM RKM installs a keyboard hook for arrows / ok / numbers buttons. If you don't use the MCE Remote you can very well shut down the GUI, or click on the "Setup Remote" button and uncheck :

"Enable customization of the arrow buttons in the default profile"
"Enable customization of the number buttons in the default profile"
"Enable customization of the Ok button in the default profile"

This will disable the hook when no applications matching a profile are in focus.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephaneM View Post
Are you running Windows Vista?
I am running XP Pro and patched up to date.

Quote:
The channel change plugin is working with or without service mode. So I would suspect a sage.properties file mix up (with Vista Virtualization)
Ok, how would I go about checking what is wrong with sage.properties.

Quote:
This is expected behavior. LM RKM installs a keyboard hook for arrows / ok / numbers buttons. If you don't use the MCE Remote you can very well shut down the GUI, or click on the "Setup Remote" button and uncheck :

"Enable customization of the arrow buttons in the default profile"
"Enable customization of the number buttons in the default profile"
"Enable customization of the Ok button in the default profile"

This will disable the hook when no applications matching a profile are in focus.
Thanks for the info. I just exit the gui after customizing the remote and blasters.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I am running XP Pro and patched up to date.../...how would I go about checking what is wrong with sage.properties.
On Windows XP there is no virtualization, so there is no possible mix up of Sage.properties file (virtualization = copying the file into a user directory instead of the Program Files directory).

So you'll have to make these tests :

* Shut down the SageTV service. Make sure you are using an account for the services that can read the files in C:\Program Files\SageTV\Common\RemoteCodes\LM Remote KeyMap and C:\Program Files\SageTV\Common

* Restart the LM Remote KeyMap Blaster service

* Start the SageTV Service and the LM RKM GUI

* Open the LM RKM Live Trace Viewer (by right clicking on the LM RKM Taskbar notification icon)

* Open SageTV and tune to a channel

Does the Live Trace Viewer contains information about the channel change ?

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I just exit the gui after customizing the remote and blasters.
If you customize the MCE remote, then I suppose you rely on those customizations for using your MCE remote, so you need the LM RKM GUI (the taskbar notification icon must be in the taskbar). Otherwise LM RKM will stop customizing the remote button.

The LM RKM GUI (minimized) is needed to operate the remote
The LM RKM Blaster service is needed to operate the blaster

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Does the Live Trace Viewer contains information about the channel change ?
No, there is nothing in the trace window if the service is running. If I stop both services, stop gui and then start only on the LM service and the gui+trace window, starting SageTV and selecting the "Watch Live TV" option shows channel change in the trace window right away; I can also change channels normally now also. Its only when the SageTV service is running is that the channel changing capability disappears.

Quote:
If you customize the MCE remote, then I suppose you rely on those customizations for using your MCE remote, so you need the LM RKM GUI (the taskbar notification icon must be in the taskbar). Otherwise LM RKM will stop customizing the remote button.
I just configured the blaster. I didnt actually change any keys for the MCE remote. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
No, there is nothing in the trace window if the service is running.
Well this is how it works:

* SageTV load the C:\Program Files\SageTV\Common\LMSTVIRTuner.dll
* SageTV ask the dll to load the remote definition (*.ir, * being the name of the device selected when setting up the blaster) in C:\Program Files\SageTV\Common\RemoteCodes\LM Remote KeyMap
* The dll reads the remote definition file and extract the GUID for your IR Blaster device
* SageTV ask the dll to change channel
* The dll load the COM object LMRemoteKeyMap.ChannelChanger for doing the channel change
* The COM object contact the blaster service that will do the channel change (this is what gets logged in the trace viewer)

The only difference between SageTV and SageTV Service is the account used to launch the process (I verified myselft that channel change is ok with the default local system account or my user account being a local administrator)

At this point I would enable debug logging in SageTV to see if it does try to use the plugin and double check the configuration of the video source when using the SageTV service.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Sage User

Quote:
The only difference between SageTV and SageTV Service is the account used to launch the process (I verified myselft that channel change is ok with the default local system account or my user account being a local administrator)
Wow, fast reply. That got me thinking that this might be a permission problem. So I changed the logon for LMKey server from system account to an administrative account, but it made no difference. Then I reverted the LMKey service back to system account and set the SageTV service for an administrative account. Voila, it worked. Thanks for your help and your patience.

One more request. Is it possible to define keystrokes to simulate keypresses of my STB's remote? For example, there is a menu option on my STB's remote and I would like the HOME key on the keyboard to simulate it. How would I go about doing it?

Thanks again.
Khurram.

Last edited by KFH; 05-15-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:54 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
One more request. Is it possible to define keystrokes to simulate keypresses of my STB's remote? For example, there is a menu option on my STB's remote and I would like the HOME key on the keyboard to simulate it. How would I go about doing it?
You'll have to use the LM RKM COM objects for this (If you were using the MCE remote, you coul remap a MCE button to use a "Blast" action). With the COM object you can create a VBScript script (see my web site) and use whatever utility to launch this script when pressing the "Home" key on your keyboard.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Sage User

Quote:
You'll have to use the LM RKM COM objects for this (If you were using the MCE remote, you coul remap a MCE button to use a "Blast" action). With the COM object you can create a VBScript script (see my web site) and use whatever utility to launch this script when pressing the "Home" key on your keyboard.
I have some experience in programming so the vbscript should not be difficult. I have looked at the example on your website. But wont the script run only on the pc running sagetv service? If so, how would I change use this from a client?

Thanks.
Khurram.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
But wont the script run only on the pc running sagetv service? If so, how would I change use this from a client?
Yes the script has to run where the LM RKM Blaster service is located.

I'll include in the future client / server features in LM RKM. So right now the only solution would be to have SageTV launch the script on the server (I think you can do it with a dynamic menu or modifying the STV)
Old 05-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
But wont the script run only on the pc running sagetv service? If so, how would I change use this from a client?
I've just uploaded version 4.5, with a client / server feature for the blaster.

Basically you just install LM RKM on your client PC, in the "Choose Blaster" dialog you should now see the blaster on your other PC (for instance "MCE Blaster on MACHINENAME").

This way on the client PC you are able to play with the blaster as if you were on the PC where the blaster is installed that is :

* Use the "Blast" action
* Use the COM objects
* Use the tuning plugins (don't know if this is really useful though).

You have to use identical LM RKM donators version on both PC, otherwise nasty things will happen.

Note: I don't know if this feature will work well with software firewalls. I use a discovery protocol for clients to find servers (Multicast UDP on port 56756), then TCP connexions (both client and server with whatever unused ports LM RKM can use).

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Unable to detect blaster

Hi Steven:

I can't seem to utilize my MCE blaster:

Here is my service log

:23:17.790 - Info - Blaster Service Initialized
20080608 19:23:17.915 - Info - DeviceManager.Start()
20080608 19:23:17.931 - Info - Blaster Service Started
20080608 19:25:08.025 - Info - DeviceManager.Stop()
20080608 19:25:08.025 - Info - Blaster Service Stopped

and my tracelog:

9:23:28.790 - Error - Error when creating Windows Vista Volume EndPoint
20080608 19:25:20.150 - Error - Error when creating Windows Vista Volume EndPoint
20080608 19:25:20.275 - Error - Failed to connect to the blaster service : Failed to connect to an IPC Port: The system cannot find the file specified.

Server stack trace:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcPort.Connect(String portName, Boolean secure, TokenImpersonationLevel impersonationLevel, Int32 timeout)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.ConnectionCache.GetConnection(String portName, Boolean secure, TokenImpersonationLevel level, Int32 timeout)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcClientTransportSink.ProcessMessage(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryClientFormatterSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)
Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at LMGestion.RemoteKeyMap.Interfaces.IBlasterController.add_IRReceived(BlasterReceivedHandler value)
at LMGestion.RemoteKeyMap.Devices.Connect()
20080608 19:25:20.275 - Error - Failed to connect to the blaster service : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
20080608 19:25:20.275 - Error - Failed to connect to the blaster service : Failed to connect to an IPC Port: The system cannot find the file specified.

Server stack trace:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcPort.Connect(String portName, Boolean secure, TokenImpersonationLevel impersonationLevel, Int32 timeout)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.ConnectionCache.GetConnection(String portName, Boolean secure, TokenImpersonationLevel level, Int32 timeout)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcClientTransportSink.ProcessMessage(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryClientFormatterSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)
Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at LMGestion.RemoteKeyMap.Interfaces.IBlasterController.add_IRReceived(BlasterReceivedHandler value)
20080608 19:25:20.290 - Error - Failed to connect to the blaster service : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

thanks

Tom
Old 06-09-2008, 08:33 AM
Sage Icon

Hello Tom,
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolio View Post
20080608 19:25:08.025 - Info - Blaster Service Stopped
.../...
20080608 19:25:20.275 - Error - Failed to connect to the blaster service
It seems expected, as the LM RKM Blaster Service is stopped, LM RKM is complaining that it cannot connect to the blaster service.

Restart the LM RKM Blaster service and try to use the MCE blaster again (you have to choose the right device in "Choose Blaster" : Vista MCE Blaster for Windows Vista or MCE Blaster for Windows XP).

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Sage User

I just installed this to use with XBMC, USB-UIRT, and MCE remote (Harmony remote actually).

SOME of it worked, about half the buttons. I just programmed all the buttons and the IR codes "took" in the app but when I try to use it with XBMC many of the buttons don't work... back, play, menu, and many others.

Also... Is there a file available so I do not need to teach it every remote commands and that is known to work with MCE and XBMC?

thanks

Last edited by Livin; 06-28-2008 at 03:10 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Sage User

Is there any way to set the software to make a different action depending on whether sage is running ?
I have set the MCE "Green Button" to launch Sage which works great, but unless I run Sage in FSE (which causes its own problems!) Sage will lose focus when launching via TGB..

I was wondering if there is any way when the press TGB to launch sage if the process isn't running, if it is then do an alternate action (ie. activate the app)