SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Sage User

Unhappy SageTV black screen on Startup

See below for all the relevant details about my system. My ATI TV Wonder Pro used to work with Comcast analog cable. Then I switched to Dish Network, and it worked fine in SageTV *before* I added my USB UIRT. I tried to configure the UIRT and was unsuccessful. It was getting late so I stopped fooling with the UIRT and shut down SageTV, figuring I'd work on it later.

Now, when I try to start SageTV, I just get a black screen. Nothing happens.

I have already tried each of the following fixes:

1. Uninstalling and reinstalling (including deleting entire Program Files\SageTV folder).
2. Unhooking the UIRT and uninstalling/reinstalling/restarting.
3. Reverting to the default sage.properties file.

I know that the tuner card itself is fine because it works in ATI Media Catalyst just fine. I can tune my HD antenna and channel 3 (signal coming in fine from Dish box). I know the UIRT works because it's receiving data according the IR Helper applet.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Try turning off 3D Acceleration by editing sage.properties (or sageclient.properties if using a cilent or service mode) in a simple text editor (such as Notepad) and setting:

ui/accelerated_rendering=false

If that fixes it, then look into updating your video card driver and/or DirectX.

If it doesn't work, you can enable debug logging to see if it contains info about what is happening.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Sage User

Works!

Ok, the UI is back! Here's exactly what I did in the order that I did it.

1. Uninstalled SageTV.
2. Deleted Program Files\SageTV directory.
3. Updated DirectX.
4. Updated TV Tuner and Video Card drivers.
5. Unplugged UIRT.
6. Restart.
7. Once back in Vista, reinstalled SageTV.
8. Ran SageTV, still same problem.
9. Figured out that the "real" sage.properties files is located in c:\users\name\appdata\local\virtualstore\program files\sagetv\sagetv.
10. Changed UI\accelerated_rendering to "false"
11. Restarted SageTV, still same problem.
12. Exited Sage (has not been running as service this whole time).
12. Edited sage.properties by setting "EULA_accepted" to TRUE and "debug_msgs" to TRUE and keeping accelerated_rendering at FALSE.
13. Ran Sage again and configuration wizard popped up.

So, don't know what finally made it work, but it works. Just wanted to recount exactly what I did in case it might work for someone else.

Thanks for your help Opus.