SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-08-2007, 09:53 PM

Playback timeline "jumps" 9 seconds each second

I just built a new HTPC and was testing it out this weekend, and I encountered a very strange problem. I tried recording a movie that was on tonight to test where the the temps would peak (both CPU and case were mid-50s, so not too high), but when I tried playing it back, this is what happened: for every second, the timeline would jump about 9 seconds (so, 5 seconds into the recording, the timeline was saying it was at about 0:00:45). The video/audio speed was fine, it was only the timeline that was weird. So, when the timeline reached the 3 hour mark, the video was only about 20 minutes into the movie. After that, Sage thought the video was done, and it stopped playback.

The recording info shows the file size to be about 6 GB (correct for the 2 GB/hr recording quality I chose), and playing back the file in WMP reports the file length at just under 20 minutes, so I know it's not a Sage playback problem. Here are the relevant specs that I can think of that may in some way be causing this:
  • Tuner: PVR-150 w/ latest drivers from Hauppauge
  • Video Card: 8500 GT
  • RAM: 2 GB DDR2-800
  • CPU: Core 2 Duo E4300
  • HD: 80 GB IDE (will be swapping out with a 320 SATA, but hasn't arrived yet)

Any ideas on where to start looking or how to troubleshoot?
Old 07-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Try the registry change mentioned in the first item in the "Similar Threads" list, below -- the one titled "Major playback timeline issue". I believe you'll need to reboot the system after making that reg change.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:40 PM

Thanks for that thread suggestion -- I tried a couple searches initially but didn't run across that one. I just made the registry changes and will test it out tomorrow.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

SS-

Did you have this problem on every recording or does it happen randomly?

Just curious...

Thanks
Old 07-10-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post
Did you have this problem on every recording or does it happen randomly?
Well, it was weird. I actually tried recording two things over the weekend as tests for the system (the second and third Harry Potter moves that were showing on ABC Family). The first one had a really weird stuttering issue going on while it was recording, so I just killed it, and then I found the playback issue with the second. What was weird though is that the first time I tried playing back the second one, the timeline was moving at normal speed, but it stopped part of the way through. After that I could never get the timeline to move at a normal pace again.

I tried two back to back recordings tonight and they both appear to be great. Now, if it's the case that the aforementioned issue is random, maybe it just didn't happen on these recordings. I'll be doing a couple more throughout the week (testing stuff like standby mode, wake on LAN, etc.), so I'll report back on how those go. For now, however, the problem isn't apparent. Thanks for that suggested fix, and hopefully it works permanently.