SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 08-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

Verizon FIOS TV now available- should I get it?

Well it's finally here- verizon called me to ask if I want FIOS TV but I told them I need to think about it. What I am wondering is can my SageTV HTPC work with FIOS? I mean, currently I get a standard cable signal that goes into my Hauppauge TV Tuner card and Sage records and plays it. But I guess this TV tuner card is worthless with FIOS TV?

If I wanted my HTPC to work with verizon's FIOS, what would I need to do? Get some kind of HDTV tuner card?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Sage Icon

Should I get it? Absolutely
Great programming package deals and great PQ with both SD and HD

I'm sure HTPC/sage will work with verizon's FIOS with SD programing just as easy as it does cable/dishnent/dtv

But HD? there's the rub, I don't think there is any mods to record Fios HD with HTPC's. I know there are no FIOS stb's listed over at the R5000-HD site.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffdaddy View Post
Should I get it? Absolutely
Great programming package deals and great PQ with both SD and HD

I'm sure HTPC/sage will work with verizon's FIOS with SD programing just as easy as it does cable/dishnent/dtv

But HD? there's the rub, I don't think there is any mods to record Fios HD with HTPC's. I know there are no FIOS stb's listed over at the R5000-HD site.
With those SD channels, could they be tuned by my dual tuner card like I am doing with cable now?

But then doesn't that mean I cannot watch the HD channels at all? There would be no way to just throughput the HD signal from the stb to the tv through the HTPC? Because the only way I could perhaps get a separate signal to my TV besdies the one from my HTPC is by putting some switch on the dVI cable and have to manually flip it when I want to watch HD from Verizon's stb.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Sage Icon

I read an article about Verizon removing the copper wire to your house when they install FiOS. When this is done, good luck moving back to something else. You have to convince Verizon that they should re-string your copper wire. Supposedly they will do this for you.

Verizon is not required by law to allow other companies to provide services via FiOS like they do copper so make sure you are happy with a Verizon only solution as there are no alternatives.

You may want to see if their FiOS service is battery backed up. Some installs are not and therefore have down times just like any other digital solution, like cable phone, etc. Meaning it will not work when the power goes out so you need an emergency way to make calls.

Let us know what you choose and how you like it if you do go for it.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

well, I've had FIOS at my house for a couple of years now actually, with internet and phone service. but I kept using regular cable company for tv because fios tv was not available until now. I always though I would jump on tv once they offered it but since then I have been a sageTV fan so unless I can be sure I can enjoy all of fios tv including the hdtv channels I dont think I will take it. (it wouldnt matter to me if I could not record HD channels, I just want to be able to watch them).

But other than that yeah they installed a 24-hour battery back up system with the fios installation. haven't had a chance to test it yet because the times we have had a short blackout I either was at work or forgot to try the phone
Old 08-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have FIOS TV and its been working great. There are some problems though.

1) analog is only for the local channels nothing else (you have to use a STB for anything above channel 50)
2) their STBs you can only use an IR blaster. Serial port is disabled. If you have an HD box the FW port is active and I was able to change channels and record but only the locals.
3) QAM is only for the locals and Music channels.

the picture quality is outstanding SD is better than DirectTV's SD. I have an HD box hooked up to my TV for some channels and it is great quality.

According to reports I have read, Verizon is required to convert you back to copper if you ask them. They dont want to (obviously) but from my understanding they are required by law to do it.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdcknsn View Post
. If you have an HD box the FW port is active and I was able to change channels and record but only the locals.

I didn't know Fios stb's had active FW ports. Maybe it can have a R500-HD mod done

http://www.nextcomwireless.com/r5000/home.htm
Old 08-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

The only reason I couold think where it couldnt have the mod done is that for VOD and the whole house solution it uses TCP to transmit. Theoretically if you knew how to hack into it you might be able to change channels via telnet or SSH, unfortunately I am not at that level. They all get IP addresses on your home network.

I dont think they will allow you to buy one either. I assume you have to own it to get the mod done.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

I dont think they will allow you to buy one either. I assume you have to own it to get the mod done.

R5000 will do the mod for you and then uninstall it when you need to return the box.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffdaddy View Post
R5000 will do the mod for you and then uninstall it when you need to return the box.
what do you mean, they will deliver that box ready to work with a verizon fios tv system ?

and then using that would I be able to have all fios channels including HD go through SageTV and have Sage manage it?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I have FIOS TV and its been working great. There are some problems though.

1) analog is only for the local channels nothing else (you have to use a STB for anything above channel 50)
2) their STBs you can only use an IR blaster. Serial port is disabled. If you have an HD box the FW port is active and I was able to change channels and record but only the locals.
3) QAM is only for the locals and Music channels.

the picture quality is outstanding SD is better than DirectTV's SD. I have an HD box hooked up to my TV for some channels and it is great quality.

According to reports I have read, Verizon is required to convert you back to copper if you ask them. They dont want to (obviously) but from my understanding they are required by law to do it.
So, how is your HTPC setup with FIOS TV then? It can only be used for the locla channels < 50 ? For the full channels/HD do you use a separate TV w/out SageTV?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorius View Post

and then using that would I be able to have all fios channels including HD go through SageTV and have Sage manage it?
Yes with dishnet and cable boxes.
Do not know if nextcomwireless.com/R5000 are doing fios stb's yet. Email and ask them.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have a SD STB going through a tuner card, I also have a tuner card recording analog. I am playing with some QAM but will change that to OTA once I get my antennas up by football season.

Quote:
So, how is your HTPC setup with FIOS TV then? It can only be used for the locla channels < 50 ? For the full channels/HD do you use a separate TV w/out SageTV?
I did email R5000 and asked them about verizon boxes. They apparently do mod them. I think the model of my STB is a Motorola QIP-2500. I might consider that, it all depends on price.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

Cool, thanks so much for your help guys, I will email them at R5000 and see what it would take to set this up.

Verizon will call again this weekend to see if I want to take their TV so before I take it I want to be sure it will work with my SageTV box.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

If you get your STB modded by R5000 post your results here. I am curious if it works good.

Quote:
Cool, thanks so much for your help guys, I will email them at R5000 and see what it would take to set this up.

Verizon will call again this weekend to see if I want to take their TV so before I take it I want to be sure it will work with my SageTV box.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

well, preliminarily it's not looking too good. They told me that the only way they can get the HD STB's working is if the STB does not have firewire... not sure why but that's what he said. But it should not be a problem getting the SD STB's working with all channels.

I really want to utilize HD on my TV though and I haven't heard of FIOS HD boxes without firewire
Old 08-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
well, preliminarily it's not looking too good. They told me that the only way they can get the HD STB's working is if the STB does not have firewire... not sure why but that's what he said. But it should not be a problem getting the SD STB's working with all channels.

I really want to utilize HD on my TV though and I haven't heard of FIOS HD boxes without firewire
Thats because if the device already has a firewire connection it (probably) has DTCP (5C) encryption in place (if it didn't then there would be no need for the r5000). If nextcom puts in another firewire connection they are technically violating the DMCA. Thank the good ole, "we love our lobbyist money", US Congress for that.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizo...iOS_Television
Old 08-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well, I spoke to the guys at Verizon and the STB does indeed have Firewire. Its the Motorola DCT6200. So guess this means no HDTV? And since I can't get HDTV into my HTPC then how can I possible share the same TV with my HTPC and the HDTV STB? It's impossible unless I put some kind of manual switch to switch between the outputs. And that's just awful.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Well, I spoke to the guys at Verizon and the STB does indeed have Firewire. Its the Motorola DCT6200. So guess this means no HDTV? And since I can't get HDTV into my HTPC then how can I possible share the same TV with my HTPC and the HDTV STB? It's impossible unless I put some kind of manual switch to switch between the outputs. And that's just awful.
Well you could connect the STB via component. The loss in vid quality from HDMI to component is very small IMO.