SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Garbled Audio when Transcoding

I've got a weird issue with my MVP. Wondering if anyone else has seen it.

It almost always happens in the morning when my wife is watching the Today Show on NBC. This is an HD broadcast, so it's being transcoded to the MVP.

What is interesting is that the problem always happens on the transition from either a) commercial to show or b) national feed to local feed (They do this on the weather and news portions of the Today Show).

Basically the issue is garbled audio - the pitch goes way up, and the words are no longer distinguishable. Video is not affected.

The only way to get out of the problem is to change the channel and then go back to NBC.

I recorded some of the Today show this morning - I'll check later and see if any of the recorded segment triggers the issue and file a bug if it does. It happened on a recording of My Name Is Earl also - but I deleted the recording before I thought to save it. On Earl it was going from commercial to show.

Anyone seen this before?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

You're not the only one. I've also noticed a few times the video isn't showing properly until I stop and restart it.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:43 AM
Sage Expert

I think I have a similar issue. My symptoms are:

Sage 6.2.10
On an MVP transcoding
Does not need to be live
HD recordings only
Audio fast (x3 ?)

What is interesting is the audio portion never gets ahead of the video. I have only seen it twice. Unplugged MVP to solve. Thought it was an anomoly.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:45 AM
SageTVaholic

That is very similar to what I am experiencing. I've got a few recordings now where it happened. I'm going to trim them down so that they aren't massive and file a support ticket later today.

btl.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:56 PM
SageTVaholic

I've seen this too watching HD shows (recorded by HDHR) on the MVP. I thought it was a HDHR issue but maybe not....

I get it when I FF or skip through commercials. If I skip forward and back a few times it usually clears up. If not I hit stop, and then play, and that clears it up.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:43 PM
SageTVaholic

I've been getting this also. The same for me when the ads transition from the network ads to the local ads. Audio is restored when the local ads stop and the network transitions back in. Kind of weird.

I've also been having some odd audio sync issues with HDHR recorded media when it's been transcoded for my MVP or Placeshifter. Usually with digital SD material. But I've had it happen with HD recordings also. Kind of odd.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:34 PM
Sage User

I too have an HDHR and a problem where the audio turns into The Chipmunks during commercials on the extender with an HD program. Returns to normal when the show restarts, except for one show, Bones, made a loud crunching noise all throughout the show. Played fine on my client pc however.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:02 PM
SageTVaholic

It never returns to normal for me. I have to change the channel and then change it back to recover.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Anybody file a formal bug report yet?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:20 AM
SageTVaholic

I filed one this morning.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:51 AM

I am having the exact same problem with audio on my MVP. If I fast forward or rewind it will take care of it but sometimes it will just jump to the beginning or jump to the end. Always when transcoding HD from HDHR. I was going to submit a bug report after I generated a debug log tonight when I get home.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Sage Icon

I'm hearing what sounds like the same thing. This is only since installing the release version of Sage. It wasn't happening on my old (several versions) beta install.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:57 AM
Sage Expert

I now had it happen on my server last night. A pause and 10 sec jump back solved it for the rest of the recording.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Sage Icon

I've seen this too, only some channels, only some shows - some get chipmunk-ified commercials - but return to normal with the show. Some shows don't get any audio at all.

I'm using "Standard Quality" for transcoding - has anyone seen this issue with HQ transcoding?

I'll post more info this weekend when I can look at the actual audio formats involved. My guess is that the audio format is changing during the commercials and the transcoder isn't picking up on that, thus messing with the pitch.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:46 AM

Yes I have tried both standard and high quality transcode and it does the same thing.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:15 AM
Sage Fanatic

I am having the same issue. I have a HDHomeRun and latest version of Sage. I placed a support request. I need to reproduce the problem to send them a log.

I am trying to workout a bunch of issues including Sage incorrectly identifying the aspect ratio of recordings.

Is there any new information about this bug?
Old 11-04-2007, 03:49 PM

Any Update, Same Problem Here

I'm getting the garbled audio a lot today. Usually, it's pretty rare. However, today while watching the Colts vs. Patriots on CBS-HD, it's happening at every commercial. One time it happened in the middle of a play. I have to pause and wait until I think the commercial is over and then fast forward to the game to clear it up.

I have 6.2.10 on Linux using an MVP to watch LiveTV. Happens on recordings, too.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

similar issue here with the Panthers/Titans... except no video, just audio. This happens once in a while - and I usually fix it by compressing the video. Won't work when I'm watching semi-live (10-20 minutes behind)...
Old 12-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

I just upgraded to 6.3 and am still getting the blasted chipmunks on commerical/show change overs. Did you ever get a response to your bug report on this?
Old 12-19-2007, 09:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Never got a response myself. But the HD Extender doesn't have the problem!