SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Sage Fanatic

Angry HD and transcoding issues with 6.2.10

I am having a handfull of issues with the latest version of sage and the HDHomeRun/Transcoding/MVP.

1. Some 4:3 content is being seen as 16:9, and after transcoding the file it plays as 16:9.
2. Some 16:9 content is being seen as 4:3, and after transcoding the file it plays as 4:3.
3. Some HD shows fail to transcode, specifically Heros, House and the Office. Other shows seem to transcode fine.
4. Every once in awhile a transcoded shows audio gets messed up and the audio sounds like chipmunks, but the video is ok. Sometimes the audio corrects itself sometimes it continues to the end of the file.
5. On some HD shows the audio is out of sync. Not by much, but enough to be annoying.
6. Some times when changing to a Digital SD channel the playback is a little bit choppy. Stoping playback and starting again usually fixes the problem.

Does anyone know if sage is getting close to fixing any of these issues. I am seeing many people having similar issues.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Sage Icon

I'm having similar issues. Some channels just goes black on transcode to MVP, others sounds like chipmunks as you said, and audio sync problems.

On top of that, I get stutters on playback. Checking to CPU usage on the server, it never pegs above 70% usage, so not sure why it is stuttering.

Any other user have any insights on what's causing these problesm?

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:08 AM
Sage Aficionado

same issues - no answers. When the picture is black (but have audio), forcing it to compress fixes it. Doesn't work with the chipmunk voices. Sometimes jumping forward and then back again fixes that... but not always.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Sage Icon

seems like we're the only ones with these problems, or not many people transcodes HD to the MVP. I think I'll submit a bug report.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Sage Expert

I transcode media just fine but I had to set encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream= (One per HDHR tuner, and a master property, total 3) (copied from a post from Polypro). Now it plays fine on the MVP. Actually, I have to do less to the MVPs then I do to my HDTV to stop it from stuttering.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

so I'm clear... you set this to True? or False?

Mine is set at true and gives me occasional issues. Did you change this and it helped?
Old 11-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Sage Icon

I've had this happen to the last 2 compressed Greys episodes. about 1/2 way through when it comes back from commercial the chipmunks show up. very annoying. no amount of skipping around will fix it. sort of glad she still has an old tivo in the bedroom. I keep looking for the day she can drop the service.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
seems like we're the only ones with these problems, or not many people transcodes HD to the MVP. I think I'll submit a bug report.
I have all of these issues also. I have just chalked it up to the MVP being an SD device that can't quite play in the HD world.

Hopefully the HD Extender, when it shows up, will not have these issues.

I never see over 30% CPU on the server doing the transcoding, so I don't think it's a CPU load issue.

btl.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:32 PM
SageTVaholic

I've had this issue myself. I've been in communication with Frey support on the issue. They gave me a file which seems to have fixed the problem, at least for me. I don't know if I really need it but I've asked permission to post the file on the forums. Hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have seen some of these issues, Chipmunk audio and black screens.

I attributed the chipmunk to jumping around the stream, if I close the file then re-open it usually fixes itself.

the black screen only seems to occur duing live playback. I so far have not seen it on recorded shows.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've submitted a support request and have gotten nowhere so far.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdcknsn View Post
I have seen some of these issues, Chipmunk audio and black screens.

I attributed the chipmunk to jumping around the stream, if I close the file then re-open it usually fixes itself.

the black screen only seems to occur duing live playback. I so far have not seen it on recorded shows.
No black screens for me (I never watch HD "live" on the MVP though), but I do get the chipmunked audio on transcoded HDHR files played on the MVP. Not all, but most, and always starts/stops at the program breaks where it got into/out of commercials/promos.
These files play fine if they aren't transcoded, i.e. played on the Sage server machine, or through my Roku Photobridge which plays the HD file right from the shared drive. So it's definitely something either in the transcoding, or something in the MVP's playback of that stream.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Exclamation

Just to let everyone know I've posted the fix that Frey support sent me on the problem on misdetecting HD content as 480i and visa versa. The file is posted here:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...1&postcount=23

I hope this helps for you guys.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:27 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
Just to let everyone know I've posted the fix that Frey support sent me on the problem on misdetecting HD content as 480i and visa versa. The file is posted here:

OMG, ty!

I was about to post this today as a real big problem. Works good?
Old 11-06-2007, 07:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevine View Post
OMG, ty!

I was about to post this today as a real big problem. Works good?
It's worked well for me so far. Every digitally recorded program from my HDHR, whether it be 480i, 720p or 1080i, has been detected correctly since I installed that file. I'm glad they were able to track down what was causing it and fix it.

It won't affect currently recorded stuff. But new recordings, at least for me, are detected properly. It was getting really irritating not being able to watch some HD stuff on my MVP. That stupid black screen with audio thing.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:08 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFisher View Post
so I'm clear... you set this to True? or False?

Mine is set at true and gives me occasional issues. Did you change this and it helped?
Sorry it took so long. Yes, I set it to true. All my recordigns are PS.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post

Does this help with the Chipmunks also?

Don't get me wrong, getting the MVP to play everything (no more black screen) is a huge plus, but the Chipmunks is a daily pain in the arse.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:09 AM
SageTVaholic

No, this doesn't help with the chipmunks.

While I do also have this problem I haven't made an official complaint about it. It hasn't been as huge a problem to me.

Although I am having a nasty sound sync issue on transcoded HDHR material that's driving me batty.

Ever thought of filing an official bug report about it? Certainly I'm not the only one doing so.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:10 AM
SageTVaholic

I did file a bug a few weeks ago. I haven't heard anything back from them.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

I received an email from support yesterday, and I implemented it - and so far it has worked perfectly... I hope I'm not jinxing myself but here is what the recommendation was:

Close SageTV and the service and set this property in your Sage.properties file:

enable_internal_push_remuxer=false

I (actually my wife) tested it on about 9 or 10 HD shows without issue. Still sometimes (not always) get minor audio sync issue after commercials, but my wife says it's remarkably better (sync is much closer, and corrects itself quicker). Plus no chipmunks yet!

Hope it helps!