SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

SageTv no gui

Hi, maybe someone can explain to me or help me figure something out. I shelled out the $80 to get SageTV Media Center for linux since i have made up my mind to move from MS. I also decided to use Ubuntu Gusty v7.10 as my main SageTV Server and for viewing.....(just like my XP box).

Currently my window box boots up and starts SageTV for me which is fine since that is all i use that box for. So I installed Ubuntu and downloaded and installed SageTv Media Center for Linux. It installed fine and started. I was expecting a gui but nothing. I used my laptop, running xp and used my Placeshifter to see if i can connect. Sure enough i get the usual sage License and agreement, i answered it and proceeded to set it up. I figured if i reboot i will now get the Gui, but nothing. I can see through the ubuntu desktop... that sage is running but no gui. I did search around and i found no thing.

So my question is how do i get the Gui? I can run Placeshifer on the ubuntu box which also connects but i need my license for placeshifter when i am at work or travel to be able to watch my shows.

PS. I will try this again without the desktop gdm stuff on VM to see what happens.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to _Demo_
The linux client is the same as the placeshifter. You will be able to connect from a remote computer even if the local placeshifter is running.

_Demo_
Old 11-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

So are you saying that after i install the sagetv media center i will need to run the client to get my gui. I don't recall ever using the client to get my gui on my window box... i think i will login to my xp box to see...
But still, how do i make sage/client start as my default gui on the ubuntu box?
Old 11-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure if you are aware of this part: on Linux, SageTV server runs like it is in service mode on a Windows PC. You have to use the Placeshifter client on a Linux system to get a UI. But, on the Linux server, that Placeshifter UI acts like a local client.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:31 PM
SageTVaholic

On the server it acts as a local client? Can you elaborate on that? I thought it was just placeshifter with the ability to connect through localhost. But when you say local client, I think dvd folder playback. Is that possible locally?

B
Old 11-14-2007, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
But when you say local client, I think dvd folder playback. Is that possible locally?
No, it is still Placeshifter. I just meant that it can always connect, regardless of whether the PS/extender server is enabled, because it is running on the server.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Ahh that's good to know. So presumably if I ssh to my server and port forward 31099 I can run "locally" to turn on extender services.. My 9 year old shut them off once when his MVP walked through the setup process.

B
Old 11-15-2007, 12:19 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
I'm not sure if you are aware of this part: on Linux, SageTV server runs like it is in service mode on a Windows PC. You have to use the Placeshifter client on a Linux system to get a UI. But, on the Linux server, that Placeshifter UI acts like a local client.
- Andy
So does this mean i don't need a license on the server to run the client to get the gui? If not how do i add my windows Placeshifter license to server so i can placeshift from work or from the net? What about playing dvd on the server, will the placeshifter client, acting as the gui be able to play dvds?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:54 AM
Administrator

Placeshifter is the UI portion of a Linux install; as far as I know, using it on the server is part of the Linux license. For official details on licenses, you should contact SageTV.

A Placeshifter client cannot play DVDs. Check out this FAQ: What is the difference between SageTV Client and Placeshifter? Lack of DVD playback on Placeshifter is one of the differences, compared to SageTV Client.

- Andy
Old 11-15-2007, 01:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

On the website it said to download miniclient. I downloaded and installed it it once i run it it looks like Placeshifter. Anyway how do i autostart client/placeshifter in this case to auto connect to the server without me specifying the ip or what not.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:46 AM

Send a message via ICQ to _Demo_
You can start the miniclient with

sageclient.sh -fullscreen 127.0.0.1

this will start it in fullscreen and it will connect to the local server.

_Demo_