SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Sage Icon

HD Extender remote codes

One of the reviews mentioned the HD extender seems to respond to Hauppauge remote commands. Can someone from Sage verify that the extender remote codes are the same as an existing remote? This would be handy in being able to train a harmony universal remote without having to learn the codes.

Or maybe folks at Sage could upload all the codes to Logitech and create an official profile for the STX-HD100 so we don't have to teach the remote all the IR codes and wait for logitech to make them available to others...

Also, can I reset the codes the extender uses to use an existing MCE remote, like I can with the MVP? The MCE remote is cheap, available everywhere and knows how to control a TV's volume and power.

thx
mike
Client 3: Media MVP to 15" Toshiba LCD
Client 4: HD100 connected to Samsung 23" 720P LCD
Client 5: HD100 connected to Vizio VX37L

Last edited by mikesm; 12-10-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:23 PM
SageTVaholic

You probably already saw this but the Extender FAQ explains this.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 12-10-2007 at 04:24 PM. Reason: added the link to the FAQ entry
Old 12-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
You probably already saw this but the Extender FAQ explains this.
I saw the FAQ when it first came out but didn't notice the remote section. Sorry everyone.

Too bad the power commands cannot be changed. The MCE remote would have been very nice to use with it.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Sage Icon

Discreet on/off

Can someone explain how to get at the discreet on/off commands. I have a One-For-All remote that I have used in the past to get at "extended codes". Is there a certain "device code" to be used for this? Or, alternatively is there an easy way to get at pronto codes for this? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
Can someone explain how to get at the discreet on/off commands. I have a One-For-All remote that I have used in the past to get at "extended codes". Is there a certain "device code" to be used for this? Or, alternatively is there an easy way to get at pronto codes for this? Thanks.
See the FAQ for the device codes in the spreadsheet. If you can use JP1 programming with your remote, then that list will give you the RC5 codes you'll need to use. You could also contact One-For-All for info on how submit the device info so they can add a built-in device code for it.

Someone has already submitted the info to Harmony, from what I understand, and I have submitted it to Universal Remote Control, Inc..

For now on my MX-700, I just made 2 dummy Hauppauge devices on the 2nd page of the LCD device list (Haup1 = 34 button remote and Haup2 = 45 button remote), then mapped the buttons the way I wanted them on my 'real' device on the main screen.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
... The MCE remote would have been very nice to use with it.
I think I saw someone posted that the MCE remote works with the HD Extender, at least the basic functions.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
I think I saw someone posted that the MCE remote works with the HD Extender, at least the basic functions.
The MCE remote and the Hauppauge remote are not compatible, so I don't see how that could be true. In any case, the power toggle command on the MCE remote cannot be learned by the extender, so that makes it not all that useful, unless maybe the extender could be taught additional codes for on/off.

thx
mike
Old 12-10-2007, 05:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
If you can use JP1 programming with your remote, then that list will give you the RC5 codes you'll need to use.
- Andy
Is RC5 the same thing that MVP uses? In other words, the "OK button doesn't work twice in a row" "feature" is still going to be with us for learning remotes on the HD100?

btl.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
Is RC5 the same thing that MVP uses? In other words, the "OK button doesn't work twice in a row" "feature" is still going to be with us for learning remotes on the HD100?
Yes, but there is a property that should help, which has been available for the past several updates: rc5_disable. I think it will ignore the toggle status if you set that to true.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:02 PM
SageTVaholic

I think I tried that rc5_disable once and it didn't seem to help - I'll try it again and see what happens.

Do you think that should work on the MVPs?

btl.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
For now on my MX-700, I just made 2 dummy Hauppauge devices on the 2nd page of the LCD device list (Haup1 = 34 button remote and Haup2 = 45 button remote), then mapped the buttons the way I wanted them on my 'real' device on the main screen.

- Andy
Andy, I have the MX-700 too. Can I get the device file from you?

-Robert
Old 12-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I have a URC-200 so I understand what you are saying about mapping buttons but there are no actual buttons on the Hauppauge remote for discreet on and off, right? So, I guess you got these some other way. In any case, I hope someone can come up with pronto codes because this is the only way I have to transfer codes that I can't learn to the URC-200 (there is no PC interface for it).
Old 12-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
Andy, I have the MX-700 too. Can I get the device file from you?
See my sig... reply in that topic to let me know whether it actually works when you get an HD100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
I have a URC-200 so I understand what you are saying about mapping buttons but there are no actual buttons on the Hauppauge remote for discreet on and off, right? So, I guess you got these some other way. In any case, I hope someone can come up with pronto codes because this is the only way I have to transfer codes that I can't learn to the URC-200 (there is no PC interface for it).
How do you (meaning: you personally, not the generic 'you') use Pronto codes? If you have an editor for that, then you can just create the RC5 codes as descibed in the FAQ for the extender's remote.

- Andy
Old 12-11-2007, 05:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
The MCE remote and the Hauppauge remote are not compatible, so I don't see how that could be true. In any case, the power toggle command on the MCE remote cannot be learned by the extender, so that makes it not all that useful, unless maybe the extender could be taught additional codes for on/off.

thx
mike
The HD Extender supports RC5, RC6, and NEC as well.

from dmesg on the box:

ir: Enable NEC decoder (0x00000000)
ir: Enable RC5 decoder (0x00001f1c)
ir: Enable RC6 decoder

I have a UEI 6131 and had to send it in to them to add a JP1 header. I have built a profile which uses a VCR device code 0081 for all buttons except for power which pulls it from CBL1757.

The HD Extender supports the Tivo remote as well, once programmed.

B
Old 12-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
How do you (meaning: you personally, not the generic 'you') use Pronto codes? If you have an editor for that, then you can just create the RC5 codes as descibed in the FAQ for the extender's remote.
I have a "remote control" program for my Palm Pilot where I can create buttons and paste Pronto codes for each button. Then I can just do a normal "learn" with the URC-200 from the IR output of the Palm Pilot. Sorry, I have read the FAQ and looked at the code spreadsheet but it still is not clear to me how to generate Pronto codes with this. Is it explained somewhere else? Thanks.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've created a JP1 device upgrade that you can download from here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...e&file_id=5230

Ben
Old 12-21-2007, 06:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

Is there any way to use a different power on/off for either the HD extender or an MVP? (I read the faq, I see it you can't reprogram it... my needs are slightly different)

My issue is that my HD Extender is hidden in a cabinet under my TV and is using an IR receiver and emitter connected to my (non-zoned) IR system to control it. Works great.

Issue is that if in one of my other rooms, someone aims the remote towards a IR Receiver and hits power, it also turns on the HD extender...

So bottom line, is there a way I can give either the HD or the MVP a different Power IR command? That would allow me to fix this issue easily. Otherwise I need to convert my whole house IR system to a zoned system and I really don't want to. Thanks!
Old 12-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFisher View Post
Is there any way to use a different power on/off for either the HD extender or an MVP? (I read the faq, I see it you can't reprogram it... my needs are slightly different)

My issue is that my HD Extender is hidden in a cabinet under my TV and is using an IR receiver and emitter connected to my (non-zoned) IR system to control it. Works great.

Issue is that if in one of my other rooms, someone aims the remote towards a IR Receiver and hits power, it also turns on the HD extender...

So bottom line, is there a way I can give either the HD or the MVP a different Power IR command? That would allow me to fix this issue easily. Otherwise I need to convert my whole house IR system to a zoned system and I really don't want to. Thanks!
This is why power on/off codes need to be programmable, or at least settable to one of several codes. Zoning is a pain, but we're forced to do it at times because lack of design forethought.

Now with HDMI over Cat5 becoming less and less expensive, and flat panels being mounted directly to the wall with a HDMI jack behind them, sticking all the extenders in one spot and remoting IR is very cool.

Some friends are remodeling their house, and their wiring guy suggested doing exactly this with their DirecTV STB's. In fact, the HR20's apparently can be set to respond to different set of IR codes to support this. I was thinking they'd have to zone the IR but avoided it. Nothing but a small IR sensor mounted on the monitor, and everything else remoted nicely. Oh yes, their speaker wires are remoted too...

thx
mike
Old 01-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Sage Icon

Sorry, I still don't understand how to obtain the discreet on/off commands in Pronto form. Can I use the Makehex program for this? If so, what do I use for the device and function codes?
Old 01-09-2008, 01:58 PM
SageTVaholic

You can find Pronto CCF in my attachment in this thread. Button 14 is discrete on 15 is dis. off.

B