SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

Lightbulb Java v1.4.2?

I keep seeing new users (potential customers) experiencing various problems with not having the latest java runtime installed.

Could the next version please include Java v1.6 or whatever is current at that time? Is there a reason for including an old version that I've missed?

Mick.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickp View Post
I keep seeing new users (potential customers) experiencing various problems with not having the latest java runtime installed.

Could the next version please include Java v1.6 or whatever is current at that time? Is there a reason for including an old version that I've missed?

Mick.
Hi Mick,

I think it's only certain third party STVs (like e.g. SageMC) and plugins that require Java 1.6, the SageTV stock installation still works with 1.4 to my knowledge. Having said this, I still agree that there is no reason for not including Java 1.6 in the current SageTV version any more. It has proven to be stable, and faster than 1.4

Dirk
Old 01-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Sage Icon

The SD extenders like v1.6 a whole lot better too.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have both an MPV and a HD Extender and they work fine with 1.4.2. I have read 1.6 is a bit faster, as Mick says, but have not been able to duplicate this on my system.

I updated to 1.6 to try out SageMC and had some problems. Don't know the cause but with the WAF in jeopardy, I scrambled back to 1.4.2 !

So, until Sage updates Java in the install package, I'll stay with 1.4.2.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
I believe the reason to stick with 1.4.2 is because thats the programming environment that the developers use, thus the one that they officially support. Everyone has their favorite to use but most people who experiment know the risks as well.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Sage Icon

The issue with 1.4.2 is that it is years old and there is other SW in the world that Sage users might want to use on their computers that could require newer versions of Java. IMHO, Sage should officially update the Java version.

S
Old 01-18-2008, 02:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Also when I looked Sun was saying they are discontinuing support for 1.4.2 when 1.7 is released. So 1.4.2's days are numbered. However I think the biggest reason Sage still still has 1.4.2 with the install package is that they released versions of Sage with 1.5.0 (I believe it was with the version 3 betas) and had to go back to 1.4.2 in the installer when Java bugs in 1.5.0 caused problems.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
The issue with 1.4.2 is that it is years old and there is other SW in the world that Sage users might want to use on their computers that could require newer versions of Java. IMHO, Sage should officially update the Java version.

S
+1. Common sense like this should not need to be explained.

I didn't even realize SageTV still came with 1.4.2. I've upgraded throughout the years on all my boxes.

-Robert
Old 01-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
Also when I looked Sun was saying they are discontinuing support for 1.4.2 when 1.7 is released. So 1.4.2's days are numbered. However I think the biggest reason Sage still still has 1.4.2 with the install package is that they released versions of Sage with 1.5.0 (I believe it was with the version 3 betas) and had to go back to 1.4.2 in the installer when Java bugs in 1.5.0 caused problems.

This is correct. I know they are working on JDK7 but that is supposed to be the open sourced version of Java. There are builds but the final is due in early 09. They are continuing the 6 series, with 6n. That version has a ton of new stuff along the lines of Directx 9, kernel support (enough support to start most applets, while it installs the rest of the JRE download in the background) and drastically faster plugin startup performance. They have builds out for it as well, but it won't even have a beta version until at least March. They are not expecting to finish it until Fall 08.

Keep in mind that both of those versions still have some issues (like for instance, the kernel installer is broken in vista right now, and the faster plugin tends to kill Firefox 2 dead sometimes) None of them are suitable for normal usage
Old 01-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Sage

We'll be updating the JRE to 1.6.0_04 for the next batch of installers that are created.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
We'll be updating the JRE to 1.6.0_04 for the next batch of installers that are created.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
Cool, thanks. I just installed SageTV v6.3 on my new Vista machine and wanted to make sure that the latest stable JRE (1.6.0_04) would play nice.