SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:10 AM
Sage Icon

Problematic playback of 1080p mkv & h.264(.ts) on HD Extender

I just got 2 HD Extenders and both experience difficulties in handling 1080p video files in both the mkv and .ts containers.

The mkv files are mostly x264 encodes of around 5 Gb/hour size and the h264 files in the .ts container are captures from my DVB-S2 card from H.264 sat channels.

For the mkv variety, the playback is pixelated(a few pixels here and there) video usually and when there are a lot of scene changes the audio loses synch until the motion settles down to a constant scene.

For the h.264 files in the .ts container, there are no pixelisation issues but there is a stutter every 2 secs or so.

Mpeg2 .ts, 720p mkv and other files play without any problems.
It's also not network related since I have connected a PC running SageTV client and the files play well on that.

Have any of you guys experienced similar issues?

Any tips?
Old 03-19-2008, 12:37 PM
SageTVaholic

I have not had any success either. I'm trying to get a VC-1 1080p clip to play and have tried various containers including .ts and .mkv.

See this thread for more info: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...&highlight=EVO

Very strange since the HD100 specs say it should work....

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Sage Icon

Yeah, I ve been following that thread but it refers to remuxing EVO content which by default is high bitrate and I could understand why the HD Extender could not handle it.

On the other hand, lower bit rate x264 and satellite h.264 streams should not present any problems.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
how are these files being remuxed together or what software is creating them ?

Because I have had good luck with 25 discs with H.264 & VC-1 @ upto 35mbits with DTS,AC3 all maxed out. As long as they have been remux correctly. I have had zero issues playing them my two stx's at the same time.

The problem is that they are so many different programs that do it so many different way and since the stx can only play each type expecting it a certain way. The only thing is to submit a small sample to sagetv support and they will either say fix the file or they will adjust the stx.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofreak75 View Post
how are these files being remuxed together or what software is creating them ?

Because I have had good luck with 25 discs with H.264 & VC-1 @ upto 35mbits with DTS,AC3 all maxed out. As long as they have been remux correctly. I have had zero issues playing them my two stx's at the same time.

The problem is that they are so many different programs that do it so many different way and since the stx can only play each type expecting it a certain way. The only thing is to submit a small sample to sagetv support and they will either say fix the file or they will adjust the stx.
My video started out life as a big .m2ts. To convert to .ts I've tried TSRemux. For .mkv I've tried mkvmerge. What have you used with good success?

The other thread I pointed to starts out talking specifically about EVO files but then addresses .m2ts. I have not seen anybody report good results playing high bitrate H.264 or VC-1.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Sage User

I have had ZERO luck playing anything 1080p. I have tried .ts, .mkv, and wmv. No lucky. Either it gets really pixelated as described or it stutter every few seconds.

Do you think support can fix this if I send them a sample file?
Old 03-25-2008, 12:25 AM
Sage Icon

I am also preparing to send support a set of files for them to research....Problem is they are pretty big to send over the net..... I might send a Hard Disk full...
Old 03-25-2008, 06:22 AM
SageTVaholic

I've had no luck either. I've tried VC-1 and H.264 clips that are blu-ray compliant and have had no success. I'm looking for an MPEG2 clip that is blu-ray compliant (I think blu-ray supports MPEG2?) to see if that works.

@ Lucas - Sage has an ftp server where they will request you upload sample files.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
@ Lucas - Sage has an ftp server where they will request you upload sample files.
I know but it could take a while to upload a few gigs to it at 1Mbit or less upload that I have.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Just as an update to this. The clips that produce a black screen on the HD-100 play on a SageClient. I suppose this means the clips themselves are not corrupted.

Lucas - I'm always under the opinion that anything you can do to help support identify and fix the problem easier will help your cause. I'd try to make the clip small and spell out very simply how to reproduce the problem. A lifetime ago I worked in tech support and I know when I had a pile of equal priority bug reports sitting on my desk it was always tempting to look at the "nicely packaged" ones first.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:16 AM
Sage Icon

I 've also had few problems if any running most of the things discussed here on a Sageclient. The HD Extender is a different matter though.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:29 PM
SageTVaholic

I just filed a bug report on this and am uploading two clips (VC1 and H.264). I'll post any results or information here.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Exclamation

Quote:
I open bug today for DTS to analog audio output problem, the HD100 or SageTV server does not decode/transcode (main idea of sagetv server - ability to transcode) DTS audio. it's a overkill to put receiver for the kitchen Plasma (that have analog audio inputs)!!!

Sage Server: [s]8xDVB-S2 with DVBE4Sage on YES DBS Israel 4W (3 virtual tuners) ,[/s] 3 x HD300 Extenders; 3 x HD200 Extender; 3 x SageTV Client;
Old 03-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkiller View Post
I open bug today for DTS to analog audio output problem, the HD100 or SageTV server does not decode/transcode (main idea of sagetv server - ability to transcode) DTS audio. it's a overkill to put receiver for the kitchen Plasma (that have analog audio inputs)!!!

Let hope they change it for you, Because just getting them to get DTS pass through was pita. But if they get enough people requesting this option, then they might do it. But for know its not a bug. Because it states DTS pass though only. Hell my 60 sony tv states "NO DTS passthrough period" in my owners manual. ANs what did the Sony tech say to me, they smiled and NO.

[poke]
But I have just one question: whats so important to watch in the kitchen that has a DTS stream ?
[/poke]

Old 03-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

Exclamation

Quote:

But I have just one question: whats so important to watch in the kitchen that has a DTS stream ?
it's simple, when my wife preparing food, she want to use TV to see some movie...and movie in case DTS encoded, the hardware should downmixed to analog stereo to hear it at plasma speakers (it's just a kitchen - i do not need receiver), without ability DTS downmixing i will see movie without sound.

Sage Server: [s]8xDVB-S2 with DVBE4Sage on YES DBS Israel 4W (3 virtual tuners) ,[/s] 3 x HD300 Extenders; 3 x HD200 Extender; 3 x SageTV Client;
Old 04-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

I also have problems playin anything 1080, I get stuttering and pixels here and there, or heavy pixels
Old 04-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadim View Post
I also have problems playin anything 1080, I get stuttering and pixels here and there, or heavy pixels
i have also on like 50% of 1080 streams such problems. so you not alone

Old 04-06-2008, 09:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Success

Success at last. I have now successfully played VC1, H.264 and MPEG2 1080p content on my extender. I am embarassed to say that the main cause of the problems was my network. It seems my network was not up to gracefully streaming the movies.

My topology was:

Extender <-> 100 MB Router <-> GB Switch <-> Sage Server

I bought a new GB switch (with more ports), connected the Extender to the same switch as the server and viola - smooth playback of 1080p.

I've only tried .mkv since support told me that was the best container to use.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

Angry 1080 play is not good

I got few new blue-ray rips of 1080, non of them play good with HD Extender. or it's play like frame by frame each sec, or shading garbage.... no problem on Sage Client

Last edited by bjkiller; 04-12-2008 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkiller View Post
I got few new blue-ray rips of 1080, non of them play good with HD Extender. or it's play like frame by frame each sec, or shading garbage.... no problem on Sage Client
Anybody can advice which SageTV Client configuration can play such things? Looks like I will move to PC Hardware, becouse HD 100 does not play them.