SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

H.264 Audio/Video with Cyberlink

I did a quick search through the forums and couldn't find anything related to my problem directly, so seeing as I am using the newest beta I figured I would post here.

I tried playing back the HDPVR files that were posted elsewhere directly within SageTV (not an HD Extender) and was unsuccessful. Basically a quick blurb of stuttered frames, followed by freezing. No audio at all. Playing the files back through WMP or Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra, and everything is smooth as silk. In WMP I looked at the properties for the file while it was playing and, no surprise, it showed the Cyberlink decoders listed for both the video and audio renderers.

I checked in my SageClient.properties file and the line was added for H264 video:
videoframe/h264_video_decoder_filter=CyberLink H.264/AVC Decoder (PDVD7.x)

So that got me thinking. Shouldn't there be a similar line needed for the audio portion of h264 content, like:
videoframe/h264_audio_decoder_filter=CyberLink Audio Decoder (PDVD7.x)

I mean there is an entry for both audio and video for dvd playback, right? Obviously the audio decoder for h264 *might* need to be different then the default decoder that Sage is otherwise using. My default audio and video decoders for everything else (set to Default in Sage) is the nVidia PureVideo decoders, which can not handle h264, and if Sage is trying to render the h264 audio portion with those decoders it would likely cause the file to not playback.

Does any of this make sense? And if so, should I file a bug report on it?

Last edited by Razillian; 05-28-2008 at 09:04 PM. Reason: More suiting title
Old 05-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Sage

To specify the audio decoder for those files (which have AAC audio); you can set this property:

videoframe/aac_audio_decoder_filter=

(it's a new feature in V6.4)
Old 05-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks, that got me half way there. I tried that setting using the Cyberlink Audio Decoder with no results. So installed the Monogram AAC decoder and changed the property file to match. I now have clear audio, but still no video.

I get about 1 second of video playback and then black screen. Skipping forward or back will play for another 1 second before returning to the black screen. The video plays fine in WMP and powerDVD.

I did manage to find this thread which seems related: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=277992
Old 05-28-2008, 05:46 PM
SageTVaholic

there's no such thing as an H.264 audio decoder, h.264 is a video codec and can be used with any audio codec, it all depends on the container and what the creator decided to use.

As Jeff noted (though indirectly ), it looks like the demo files use the AAC codec for audio. However H.264 video can be paired with any number of audio codecs, Dolby Digital, DTS, MPEG-1 Layer 2 (MP2), Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, DTS-HD Master Audio, PCM, MP3, or probably about anything else.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

So the question is, what does the HD PVR use in its audio encoding? The hauppauge site lists "AC-3 Audio Encoding", so I would assume any AC3 codec would work for that. If that is the case, I would presume I will be fine. If it uses an AAC codec, the Monogram decoder seems to be working fine.

But I still have no h264 video using the Cyberlink decoder, at least in Sage. Outside of Sage it works fine. "Big Bang" is hillarious, but I think it will be lacking something in not getting to see Sheldon's face during any episode recorded in h264.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:22 AM
SageTVaholic

I thought I read that it can use AC3 or AAC. I think when it ships though it may be limited to AAC (or stereo AC3).
Old 10-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

AAC audio not working

These sage.properies entries below aren't playing the audio for this file:
081015_gma_casey.m4v
(Video codec: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC)
(Audio codec: mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC)

videoframe/aac_audio_decoder_filter=CoreAAC Audio Decoder
videoframe/mp4a_audio_decoder_filter=CoreAAC Audio Decoder

GraphEdit is using the Haali Splitter, CyberLink H.264/AVC Decoder (PDVD7.x) and CoreAAC Audio Decoder.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get this audio working? (I am not using an extender or client.)

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-30-2008, 05:13 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishallowell View Post
These sage.properies entries below aren't playing the audio for this file:
081015_gma_casey.m4v
(Video codec: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC)
(Audio codec: mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC)

videoframe/aac_audio_decoder_filter=CoreAAC Audio Decoder
videoframe/mp4a_audio_decoder_filter=CoreAAC Audio Decoder

GraphEdit is using the Haali Splitter, CyberLink H.264/AVC Decoder (PDVD7.x) and CoreAAC Audio Decoder.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get this audio working? (I am not using an extender or client.)

Thanks,
Chris
Chris,

Try using the ArcSoft audio decoder that comes with TotalMedia Extreme
ArcSoft Audio Decoder or ArcSoft Audio Decoder HD

Good luck.