SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Timeline issue on recordings

I've been having a peculiar problem for a few months now, I think it popped up somewhere in 6.3 (I'm on 6.3.10 right now). Some of my recordings have their timeline screwed up... or maybe that's not the correct technical term, but hopefully my screen shots will explain it better. A half hour show will have a time bar that is many hours long - with the actual show scrunched up in the beginning of the time bar.

I have noticed that the offending recordings are split into multiple files. I have 4 recording HDDs, and yes, they are all using 64K blocks. There is even one file, recorded on my Hauppauge tuner, that is split into two files - one MPG, and one TS! How could that happen? Also, this is happening on both my PVR-250 tuner (S-Video input) and my HDHomerun - but not my R5000 tuner.

These recordings all play fine, but I'd like to fix the problem. Has anyone else seen similar behavior?

Thanks,
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Timeline-Dora.jpg (96.2 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg RecordingDetail-Dora.jpg (195.6 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg RecordingDetail-WordWorld.jpg (199.1 KB, 211 views)
Old 06-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Are you using the hidden feature for default Manual Recording padding, then changing an existing recording to be a Manual Recording hours later? If so, that issue has been fixed in an STV update for v6.4.4.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Are you using the hidden feature for default Manual Recording padding, then changing an existing recording to be a Manual Recording hours later? If so, that issue has been fixed in an STV update for v6.4.4.
Andy,

Thanks for your reply. I just checked Detailed Setup --> Customize, and the manual recording start and stop times are both set to "On Time". The Inherit Favorite setting is unchecked.

-Chris
Old 07-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Administrator

The important part of my above post, after you've indicated that you have the hidden features enabled by even seeing that option, is: did you convert them to Manual Recordings hours after the shows were recorded?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
The important part of my above post, after you've indicated that you have the hidden features enabled by even seeing that option, is: did you convert them to Manual Recordings hours after the shows were recorded?
Ok, yes, I did convert them to manual recordings hours after the shows were recorded.

-Chris
Old 07-01-2008, 04:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisc16 View Post
Ok, yes, I did convert them to manual recordings hours after the shows were recorded.

-Chris
Then you need the latest version of the STV and the beta version of SageTV to fix it. I reported it when I found it and Andy was kind enough to put out an update before the next beta of SageTV was released. Once you have upgraded to 6.4.4 then just go to detailed setup>advanced>update to get the corrected STV.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
Then you need the latest version of the STV and the beta version of SageTV to fix it. I reported it when I found it and Andy was kind enough to put out an update before the next beta of SageTV was released. Once you have upgraded to 6.4.4 then just go to detailed setup>advanced>update to get the corrected STV.
Thanks for the help. I actually did read your previous post about setting manual recordings after the fact, but the symptoms as you described them did not seem to be the same as mine.

-Chris
Old 07-01-2008, 06:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I actually did read your previous post about setting manual recordings after the fact, but the symptoms as you described them did not seem to be the same as mine.

-Chris
I didn't notice the extra files until after I updated and went back and tried to play one of them and got what you described. I thought it was just a cosmetic thing. Didn't realize it was doing anything to the time line. What it does is use the file date time stamp of the last segment as the ending time (minus any ending padding). So it makes since that the time line looks strange since the added files had the date time stamp of the new segment and would their by add x hours to it in my case. Once I found out it was the Secret Extra's I would just temporarily turn them off and set the recordings to manual then turn the Secret Extra's back on. At least until the updated STV anyway. Now it works well.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

So, I take it that updating the STV will prevent future occurrences, but won't fix the existing recordings, correct?

-Chris
Old 07-01-2008, 06:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So, I take it that updating the STV will prevent future occurrences, but won't fix the existing recordings, correct?

-Chris
I'm trying to delete the "...-1.mpg" recordings now to see if Sage will correct the timelines. But I haven't gotten back to see if it made a difference yet. But Yes it should fix future occurrences since it doesn't start up recording again and create the "...-1.mpg" any more.

Edit: If that doesn't work then I'm going to
  1. move the "...-0.mpg" recordings somewhere,
  2. delete the video in SageTV
  3. move video back to the recording directory and wait a few minutes

I know this works because I've been using this technique with the web server to add recordings to the Sage Database from other sources. I just look up the recording in the Sage database with the web server and get the airing ID from the listing and put on the file at the end (movie-1234567-0.mpg) where 1234567 is the airing ID. I also have to change the files time and date stamp correctly but for the above videos it shouldn't be necessary from what I could tell.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 07-01-2008 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 07-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Wow, great tip. That will really make my wife happy.

Please do post back on which method worked the best.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Wow, great tip. That will really make my wife happy.

Please do post back on which method worked the best.
Just deleting the "...-1.mpg" files appears to work fine. Did for what I've tried so far anyway.