SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Sage User

Thinking to switch to SageTV/MC, need advice....

hi all,

I've been a Meedio+BTV user for 4 years now. and I'm looking for a all-in-one solution (PVR+MediaCenter) instead of running both.

here's my home:
1 WHS server that store all my backup DVD/Bluray/video files/MP3/etc.

1 Living Room HTPC which all server as a BTV server (means it's the only hook up with all the tuners), it plays TV using BTV and all my video files using Meedio.

1 Bedroom HTPC, just plain client, it runs a BTVLink for TV and use Meedio to grab/play all my other video files from the WHS box.

1 (future) HomeTheater HTPC for my dedicated home theater. same function needed as the bedroom client.

1 (further down the road) Kitchen HTPC client, that plays the same as other client, but thinking may be a SageHD Extender might suit better for this one.

now, in my house's setup/needs, what do you recommend me to use for each machine??? I'm a bit confused as to placeshift and client and WHS server and regular Sage MediaCenter.....?? I'm planning to keep the setup similar to what I'm do, LivingHTPC PVR function/server (so Sage Media Center?), bedroom & HT HTPC clients (Sage Client?), and they all just grab my backup/video files from the WHS box in the basement (I can do that right? or it have to be w/in the same machine that has the PVR/TV capturing function??) does it make sense??

or I should re-run all the wires/cables down to the basement and use the WHS box also as a PVR server (on top of the video files server)?? and keep all other HTPC as just a thin client?? if so, will it need more processing power too?? (like in BTV, with more core, it could do more at the same time e.g. multi commerical skip at once, etc.)

lastly, does SageTV support commercial skips, will it allow me to burn recorded show onto DVDs in a few clicks, and does it support something like Drive Pool (records across several HDD)??

many tks in advance!!
Old 09-05-2008, 02:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
hi all,

I've been a Meedio+BTV user for 4 years now. and I'm looking for a all-in-one solution (PVR+MediaCenter) instead of running both.

here's my home:
1 WHS server that store all my backup DVD/Bluray/video files/MP3/etc.

1 Living Room HTPC which all server as a BTV server (means it's the only hook up with all the tuners), it plays TV using BTV and all my video files using Meedio.

1 Bedroom HTPC, just plain client, it runs a BTVLink for TV and use Meedio to grab/play all my other video files from the WHS box.

1 (future) HomeTheater HTPC for my dedicated home theater. same function needed as the bedroom client.

1 (further down the road) Kitchen HTPC client, that plays the same as other client, but thinking may be a SageHD Extender might suit better for this one.

now, in my house's setup/needs, what do you recommend me to use for each machine??? I'm a bit confused as to placeshift and client and WHS server and regular Sage MediaCenter.....?? I'm planning to keep the setup similar to what I'm do, LivingHTPC PVR function/server (so Sage Media Center?), bedroom & HT HTPC clients (Sage Client?), and they all just grab my backup/video files from the WHS box in the basement (I can do that right? or it have to be w/in the same machine that has the PVR/TV capturing function??) does it make sense??
No, you can do that, it should work just fine, if it works for BTV no reason to think it won't for Sage. Sage can record to any folder windows can access.

Quote:
or I should re-run all the wires/cables down to the basement and use the WHS box also as a PVR server (on top of the video files server)?? and keep all other HTPC as just a thin client??
That's what I would do, there are some definite advantages in stability. Primarilly being that playback is the most "fragile" aspect of an HTPC, if you make the WHS box your server, then you don't neet to worry about interrupting recordings or other users if you need to do maintenance on the HTPC.

I'd also consider extenders (HD) rather than HTPCs for your extra "zones".

Quote:
if so, will it need more processing power too?? (like in BTV, with more core, it could do more at the same time e.g. multi commerical skip at once, etc.)
You don't need much horsepower to run a Sage server, I've got an Athlon XP 1800+ running my Sage server, but I run ShowAnalyzer from my desktop PC.

Quote:
lastly, does SageTV support commercial skips, will it allow me to burn recorded show onto DVDs in a few clicks, and does it support something like Drive Pool (records across several HDD)??
There are customizations for the first few (comskip, burning), and it will record to as many folders/drives as you want.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
That's what I would do, there are some definite advantages in stability. Primarilly being that playback is the most "fragile" aspect of an HTPC, if you make the WHS box your server, then you don't neet to worry about interrupting recordings or other users if you need to do maintenance on the HTPC.

I'd also consider extenders (HD) rather than HTPCs for your extra "zones".
I second this. I recently switched to Sage and initially I ran 2 separate servers - an UnRaid server with all my media, and a WHS machine with Sage. I recently just switched everything to a single WHS machine and it runs great. Here are the specs:

Core2Duo E7200 ($99 on sale at Fry's)
Abit AB9 Pro motherboard (9 onboard SATA ports for lots of storage)
2 GB RAM
500GB Drive - system drive
500GB Drive - dedicated to Sage recordings
2x1TB and 2x500GB drives in the WHS drive pool
Hauppauge PVR500 connected to 2 digital cable boxes (serially controlled using MultiDCTTuner)
HD Homerun for clear QAM and local HD's off the cable

I have 3 of the HD100 extenders, 1 connected to an HD set in the living room, the others connected to SD sets in secondary rooms (hope to upgrade those to HD sets this fall).

Besides running Sage with 4 tuners and 3 extenders, plus the regular WHS backup and remote access duties, I also run a Subversion server on the box which I use to share code for a little media center project I'm starting up. The system never misses a beat, never hiccups. Rock solid, and I've cut out an extra server that was using 100-140w running 24/7 (every little bit helps).

I also HIGHLY recommend the extenders. I started off trying to use client PCs, and between codecs and power management issues, it was just a real PITA. I bought the extenders and never looked back. And at $200, they're much cheaper than you could ever buy an HD capable PC for. The only reason I can see to go with client PCs is if you want to do other things, and I'm not a big fan of surfing the net or playing games on my TV (that's what the Wii is for), so it was a no-brainer for me.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Sage User

tks for the replies and info guys!!

I think I'll go for the SageWHS route. just to make it clear, I just need to purchase the SageTV for WHS software and HD extender/SageTV Client software, right??

it can play backup iso file (DVD/Bluray) right?

another question, will SageTV allow me to choose what external player to use when playing backup bluray iso?? e.g. use Total media theater just to play backup bluray iso/folder?? (this is important for the HT client!)

as for the HD extender, yes, it does look very tempting and the above reason is very true (cost and power consumption)!! but what kinda file format will it play? I have multi format video files that I'll need it to be able to play on TV. e.g. mkv, rmvb, iso, bluray folder.

my WHS box is only using a E2160 CPU since it's working as just a backup/file server. with commercial skip, does it need more CPU power? is it the higher the better in this case? I could throw in a quad if needed.

and is SageTV working fine with HD PVR now??

tks again guys!!
Old 09-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm posting my question/concerns here since this thread is talking about using a WHS for the server. I do like the thought of having my WHS an all in one box and run extenders and/or clients to the TV's however, I thought of one downside, at least in my opinion, of doing this. As of right now the add in runs the service for WHS from the system drive, if I understand that correctly. The system drive of the WHS is not backed up, just the shared folders. What would happen if there needed to replace the system drive? You would have to setup the WHS box with all the drivers for the tuners and reinstall the add in. Not a huge deal but you would have to do it. If, however, you run a separate server for SageTV, which can still be headless running as a service, you could have WHS backup that server every night. If, for some reason a new drive had to be used for your SageTV server, you could restore the image from the WHS to the new drive on the SageTV server. I think this would eliminate the need to reinstall the OS, drivers, and SageTV to get you back going again. What do others think of my logic? That is the path that I have considered the best but if others can give there opinions otherwise, I may change my mind. I really like the idea of having only one server meeting all of my needs instead of two.

Chuck
Old 09-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Sage User

that's a good point there!!!
Old 09-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Sage User

You could always just make an image of the C: drive after you get everything setup and store it on a DVD or external harddrive.

Even when I ran a separate server, I never used WHS to backup the Sage server or any of the PC clients. I'm not sure how it would affect any programs being recorded if WHS is trying to backup the Sage server, so I figured it was best to just leave it alone.

Since all the media is stored on the WHS box and the media PCs don't change much after they are setup and "tweaked", I always though it was sufficient to just make an image of the drive. I used Acronis True Image and it worked great on the XP machines - not sure if it works on WHS. Now that you mentioned it, I probably need to give it a try and backup my WHS system drive.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

You are correct. You could make an image with another program but that is why I like WHS, I don't need to by another program to make backups. Well, that is if they would ever implement backing up of the WHS system drive iteself! Have you ever restored your WHS system drive using Acronis or any other imaging software? Is it easy? Do you just make a backup of the C partition or C and D? I may go the direction your saying but hate the thought of having to get more software to backup the WHS. As far as the WHS backup process effecting programs being recorded, I can't really say for sure. I don't normally have any recordings set for that time of night. I guess it is possible though that it could cause recording issues. I still may implement your approach but for now I have them separated with my WHS PC backing it up every night.

Chuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehaney View Post
You could always just make an image of the C: drive after you get everything setup and store it on a DVD or external harddrive.

Even when I ran a separate server, I never used WHS to backup the Sage server or any of the PC clients. I'm not sure how it would affect any programs being recorded if WHS is trying to backup the Sage server, so I figured it was best to just leave it alone.

Since all the media is stored on the WHS box and the media PCs don't change much after they are setup and "tweaked", I always though it was sufficient to just make an image of the drive. I used Acronis True Image and it worked great on the XP machines - not sure if it works on WHS. Now that you mentioned it, I probably need to give it a try and backup my WHS system drive.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Sage User

ok, it seems like that SageTV doesn't support ISO, but I thought I've heard that it could play Bluray (file/folder)??

also, could it launch an external player to play it?? 'cos I want to use TMT for it's hardware acceleration (and future HD audio support)!!
Old 09-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Sage User

@ crarbo1: with WHS PP1, you can backup the WHS system drive too.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have PP1 installed on my WHS and I don't see an option to back my system drive up. I may have overlooked it though. Can you point me to where I can do that? If so, I will definately change over to using WHS as my only server.

Thanks,
Chuck
Quote:
@ crarbo1: with WHS PP1, you can backup the WHS system drive too.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crarbo1 View Post
I have PP1 installed on my WHS and I don't see an option to back my system drive up. I may have overlooked it though. Can you point me to where I can do that? If so, I will definately change over to using WHS as my only server.

Thanks,
Chuck
I believe w/in the console (may be setup?), there's a new function saying backup the WHS server itself to another drive.
EDIT: just check again, I think when you add a new HDD in it, there's an option that you can config to have it use as WHS's backup drive instead of drive pool.

btw, anyone has answer for my above qusetion please??? bluray playback and using external player??? as soon as I found out these last two questions, I'll go ahead and get SageTV for WHS + clients.

also, what kinda format does the HD extender support?? I know it most likely won't do rmvb, but will it support mkv?? bluray??

Last edited by landshark; 09-06-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

From the FAQ
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...179#post251179

For Bluray, it seems some success is possible
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...ghlight=bluray

Last edited by dblaine2; 09-06-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

I think I know what you are refering to. However, I think that just backs up the shared folders, not the system partition. I could be wrong though.

Chuck
Quote:
I believe w/in the console (may be setup?), there's a new function saying backup the WHS server itself to another drive.
EDIT: just check again, I think when you add a new HDD in it, there's an option that you can config to have it use as WHS's backup drive instead of drive pool.

btw, anyone has answer for my above qusetion please??? bluray playback and using external player??? as soon as I found out these last two questions, I'll go ahead and get SageTV for WHS + clients.

also, what kinda format does the HD extender support?? I know it most likely won't do rmvb, but will it support mkv?? bluray??