SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:15 AM

Skip Commercials?

Can SageTV skip commercials when recording TV shows?

If so how do you do it?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-21-2008, 05:25 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
SageTv does not officially support commercial skip, however you can do commercial skipping.
1: Download the commercial processing utility at:
http://www.comskip.org/
2: Download the Standard Theme with Commercial Skip Playback at :
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21515
Or
Download the SageMC theme, which has Commercial Skip Playback built in
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36264
Note, if you use SageMC, it has builtin Comskip control. All you have to do is extract the comskip files into your \program files\sagetv\sagetv directory. What this means is SageMC can be configured to run Comskip on all of the shows you record automatically etc.....
Old 10-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Sage Expert

Might want to look at comskip monitor: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...hlight=comskip

It automates the setup, operation, and cleanup of the comskip process. The version of comskip included is a little old but it still works well and can be updated at the site mikejaner posted above.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:02 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm curious if the installation/configuration process for getting sageTV to skip commercials has gotten any easier in the recent past.

I'm waiting for the commercial skipping addon to be as simple as double-clicking the installer (to install the software), and restarting sageTV (with sageMC).... with the current defaults good enough for basic commercial skipping.

Perhaps, sageTV 7 will have commercial skipping builtin and have it as an option..

***RIP SageTV***
Old 10-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Sage Expert

I've read that legality issues are most likely what prevents Sage from building in the commercial skipping software. That said, seems like they could include the comskip plug in for playback into the stock STV. If you don't install a detection program then it no big deal but it would make the process a little easier.

The Comskipmonitor software above really was easy to set up. Unzip the files, run the seup file, choose your options and done. The one time I had a problem I just re-installed the software and it was fine. Trickiest part is setting up some of the extension options if you convert files or use H.264 recordings, and that's pushing it.

The plugin for playback is easy enough to add, and if you use SageMC it's already built in.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djc208 View Post
I've read that legality issues are most likely what prevents Sage from building in the commercial skipping software. That said, seems like they could include the comskip plug in for playback into the stock STV. If you don't install a detection program then it no big deal but it would make the process a little easier.

The Comskipmonitor software above really was easy to set up. Unzip the files, run the seup file, choose your options and done. The one time I had a problem I just re-installed the software and it was fine. Trickiest part is setting up some of the extension options if you convert files or use H.264 recordings, and that's pushing it.

The plugin for playback is easy enough to add, and if you use SageMC it's already built in.
In a similar light, BeyondTV has "Chapter Skip" which gets around the legal issue just like ReplayTV had to do in their later models. It is do-able legal wise, but is it really gonna happen? I think they have more important things on the table at the moment.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:37 PM
SageTVaholic

I think there's definite room for improvement in terms of offering commercial skipping to sageTV.

I went to the Comskip website to download the installer. Their download section is just a big mess. There should be just one download link on their homepage to the current version download; with a self-extracting executable installer; (ie. comskip811.exe).

Also, it's unclear if comskipmonitor is optional, comes with comskip already, or required for sageTV. If it's required for sageTV, it should come builtin to Comskip. The comskip installer should ask which DVR app you’re using, install comskipmonitor if necessary, and configure appropriately, asking minimal questions in a wizard-type installer for everything to work right out of the box... such as default scheduling.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 10-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

May I suggest you read post #3
Old 10-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post

Also, it's unclear if comskipmonitor is optional, comes with comskip already, or required for sageTV. If it's required for sageTV, it should come builtin to Comskip. The comskip installer should ask which DVR app you’re using, install comskipmonitor if necessary, and configure appropriately, asking minimal questions in a wizard-type installer for everything to work right out of the box... such as default scheduling.
If i were buying comskip I might agree. However, for a free app written and distributed by one person I think it is worth a little work on my part.

That said, there is no installer because comskip runs as a single executable file. All you need to do is pass it the name of your mpg. That is what dirmon2 or comskip monitor does. Then sagemc can use the .edl file generated to skip commercials, or in my case. I generate a .vprj file and permanently remove all the commercials using videoredo.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

I use comskip monitor (see post #3 ) and it was a piece of cake to install and set up.

Mitch
Old 10-24-2008, 06:34 AM
Sage Icon

No mention of ShowAnalyzer? That's what I use with DirMon...I run it from my WHS box. Do you guys like Comskip better?

P
Old 10-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner View Post
Download the SageMC theme, which has Commercial Skip Playback built in
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36264
Note, if you use SageMC, it has builtin Comskip control. All you have to do is extract the comskip files into your \program files\sagetv\sagetv directory. What this means is SageMC can be configured to run Comskip on all of the shows you record automatically etc.....
Ok mike, I grabbed the sageMC front tonight and I also grabbed the comskip program and placed it in the sagetv folder, if I read your instructions correnctly that is all I should have to do.

I also have the http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=154 front end and it seems like a little bit more in depth. This gave me the option under customize with stv3 to play around with comskip.

The part that confuses is how does the comskip.exe file work with all of this in sagemec. I don't see any comskip options in sagemc but I may be missing something.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Works great for me so far, I was confused on just dropping the files in place and not really doing anything else, but it worked on its own.

If you go into the SMC settings you can change when and how comskip works. ie...only when sage is dormant, not during taping etc.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Sage Icon

I think the confusion comes from comskip being a generic commercial detection app, it is in no way connected to SageTV and is in use on many other PVR systems.

Comskip monitor availble here however is what you are looking for, it includes a version of comskip and creates a system service to watch for new recordings and request comskip check them.

It's really so easy to install there isn't much need to put it in the product with the hints of legality.