SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Sage Icon

Thumbs up Try this fix for the HDHR on 100Mb network

Hello All,

I got the ok from Support to post.

This worked for me but YMMV. I am able to record 4 HD channels (2 HDHR) at one time.

Must have 6.4.8 and HDHR drivers version 20081002.

Shut down SageTv and download and replace the 2 files:.

SageTV Beta for Windows: DShowCapture.dll and TSSplitter.ax.

Start SageTv and Viola.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Sage Icon

Awesome... I was wondering why my hdhr didn't work with sage anymore.

Seems like nobody was even confirming there was a problem.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Sage Icon

What's the issue that this fixes?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
What's the issue that this fixes?
It makes your streams less than 21Mbps (or is it uppercase B) instead of 40. So, it's actually taking the channel you want to record than streaming all the subchannels.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Sage User

Fantastic! I was just about to start investigating why tuning only 1 HD channel on my server was hitting my 100Mb network @ 40%. You just saved me from wasting my evening! I had the latest firmware and was figuring it must be something I had configured incorrectly. I haven't looked yet, but in case it's not obvious, maybe you can save me some time and tell me where these new files go.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Sage User

Shoot, my mileage did vary!

I couldn't find a TSSplitter.ax anywhere to replace, so I put both files in SageTV/SageTV.

The behavior I saw was that I still used 40% when using only one of my HD Homeruns tuners. And, very unexpectedly, it would stay at 40% even after I stopped the program (in Sage). And even after I exited Sage! I had to actually remove power from the HD Homerun to stop the network traffic. So, I reverted back to my original dll.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Administrator

TSSplitter.ax replaces the file of that name here: <SageTV install path>\Common

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:38 AM
Sage Expert

I'm confussed as to what this does....What problem should I be seeing that this will fix?

And I assume it works the same if I have just 1 hdhr?

Thanks,

Gary Ellis
Old 10-22-2008, 07:40 AM
Sage Expert

From what I gather, this allows Sage to better interact with the HD Homerun device to stream only the channel being tuned and not the associated subchannels (for example 16.1 and not 16.1, 16.2, 16.3, etc). This lowers the bitrate of the HDHR stream, lowering the impact on your network, which should improve overall performance. This would be especially useful for the following scenarios:
-Someone with 2 HDHR devices when all tuners are in use
-Someone with an HD100 accessing a show on a server and that server is also recording 2 shows from a networked HDHR
-Recording multiple shows from a networked HDHR while engaging in heavy downloads on the same 100 Mbps network.
-Other uses where the home network could be stressed.

From what I have seen from my own personal experience (and I used to record over wireless) when the traffic gets heavy (this is even with a wired connection) the HDHR recorded shows may stutter or the connection may drop out.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Sage User

This is very good news and I'm looking forward to hearing more results.

I've been holding off updating to the latest version of Sage because of concerns regarding this very issue (even though I have a Gbit switch dedicated to my HDHRs and directly connected to my PC w/ no connection to my network). Glad to see I may be able to update soon.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clift View Post
From what I gather, this allows Sage to better interact with the HD Homerun device to stream only the channel being tuned and not the associated subchannels (for example 16.1 and not 16.1, 16.2, 16.3, etc). This lowers the bitrate of the HDHR stream, lowering the impact on your network, which should improve overall performance. This would be especially useful for the following scenarios:
-Someone with 2 HDHR devices when all tuners are in use
-Someone with an HD100 accessing a show on a server and that server is also recording 2 shows from a networked HDHR
-Recording multiple shows from a networked HDHR while engaging in heavy downloads on the same 100 Mbps network.
-Other uses where the home network could be stressed.

From what I have seen from my own personal experience (and I used to record over wireless) when the traffic gets heavy (this is even with a wired connection) the HDHR recorded shows may stutter or the connection may drop out.
Correct. That's a great explaination.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Sage Icon

I know the .ax and .dll are Windows-only, but does the problem affect the Linux version of SageTV? I started having stuttering problems on a wireless-N bridge and haven't found a resolution.
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Administrator

BTW: the files in the first post are now part of this beta topic:
SageTV Beta for Windows: DShowCapture.dll and TSSplitter.ax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreichen View Post
I know the .ax and .dll are Windows-only, but does the problem affect the Linux version of SageTV? I started having stuttering problems on a wireless-N bridge and haven't found a resolution.
I was told that it is an issue on Windows, Linux, and Mac. The updated files are only for Windows. Test updates for Mac & Linux are not available yet.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spvoyek View Post
Shoot, my mileage did vary!

I couldn't find a TSSplitter.ax anywhere to replace, so I put both files in SageTV/SageTV.

The behavior I saw was that I still used 40% when using only one of my HD Homeruns tuners. And, very unexpectedly, it would stay at 40% even after I stopped the program (in Sage). And even after I exited Sage! I had to actually remove power from the HD Homerun to stop the network traffic. So, I reverted back to my original dll.
Once both files were put in their proper location, the behavior was as expected - network utilization when tuned to one hd channel was only 15% AND it dropped to zero when the program was stopped.

Now I can hold off on purchasing a gigabit switch and nic.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks for the explanation....I don't seem to have a problem with network utilization...at least I don't think so...When I am watching 1 HD show, the network in task manager shows about 10 to 15%. Two shows takes it up to about 25%...

I'll watch and see some more feedback and then install this. I assume there are no downsides...

Thanks,

Gary Ellis
Old 10-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Sage Icon

Finally had a test of these new files last night when my 10/100 network had two HD shows and one SD show recording simultaneously (3 of my 4 HDHR tuners), while I watched another previously-recorded HD show on an HD Extender, moved some files from a PC on my network to the server, and surfed the web on that same PC.

I could not have done this before... but now, everything was smooth and trouble-free.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyellis View Post
Thanks for the explanation....I don't seem to have a problem with network utilization...at least I don't think so...When I am watching 1 HD show, the network in task manager shows about 10 to 15%. Two shows takes it up to about 25%...

I'll watch and see some more feedback and then install this. I assume there are no downsides...

Thanks,

Gary Ellis
Don't be fooled by 25% as you have 75% left. I'd be surprised if you get above 50% before having problems on a Mbit network connection. Have you tried to watch on 1 or 2 extenders while recording 2 shows. I currently have Gbit and I plan on using this fix as I have 4 extenders.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Sage Expert

I've had the HDHR's recording a couple of HD shows each while watching at least 1 HD show through the extender that was recorded.

And no problems, so far...I'll try to max it out (at least as much as I have) and see what happens...

But, if the fix works, I may install it anyway, even if it doesn't look like I need it...

If I got it right, then this would cut down on the file size? If so, then the hard drives would not be as stressed. If anything, that's where I think my system could use some help.

Thanks,

Gary Ellis
Old 10-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Sage Icon

Installed fine here, no problems. Thanks!

P
Old 10-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyellis View Post
I've had the HDHR's recording a couple of HD shows each while watching at least 1 HD show through the extender that was recorded.

And no problems, so far...I'll try to max it out (at least as much as I have) and see what happens...

But, if the fix works, I may install it anyway, even if it doesn't look like I need it...

If I got it right, then this would cut down on the file size? If so, then the hard drives would not be as stressed. If anything, that's where I think my system could use some help.

Thanks,

Gary Ellis
Gary, this "fix" reduces the network traffic from your HDHR to your Sage Server PC. The old stuff would transfer approx 40Mb/sec from HDHR to Server per tuner being used. That data included extra subchannels, which the PC then filtered out and wrote only the desired program information to the hard drive (so, no, it won't reduce file size). When that program was subsequently watched on an extender, the transfer was only approx 15Mb/sec. So, both tuners streaming to the server and the server then streaming one HD stream to an extender would be approx 95Mb/sec. Which might work OK on a 100Mb ethernet. That was when I began looking into putting a 1Gb nic in my server and connecting it to my HD extenders through a Gb switch. But, that's not necessary anymore because the filtering is now done in the HDHR, reducing the streams from the HDHR to the server to approx 15Mb/sec per tuner! The folks who have 2 HDHR's and only a 100Mb ethernet are excited because they can now record from all 4 tuners and still have bandwidth to stream some out their extenders and/or clients etc.