SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-31-2008, 09:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

Uptime issues and Memory leaks...

I have been running Sage for a long while and my configuration seems to be completely adequate except for one thing, memory leaks.

My Sage server can go about 3 days (in general) before needing a reboot/restart. If I reboot on Friday, it generally makes it through the weekend (of heavier usage) without needing a reboot. Way back when, I had bumped the available Java memory up to 500+MB in hopes of squeaking out increased uptime. This behavior unfortunately didn't appear overnight and has been present on my system for long time. It's just that other things are so good now that the memory issue bugs the crap out of me.

Just checking the memory usage through the Sage Interface shows a gradual but steady increase in memory usage. I have noticed that the interface starts to get "laggy" and other weird occurrences as the memory in use approaches the cap.

Is anyone else experiencing this kind of behavior? If so, perhaps we can tag team on debugging and worse case getting Sage Support involved.

Thanks in advance,
DQ
Headless Backend AMD 5050e (XP Pro), 4G Memory, 3TB, storage, Sage 6.5, R5000, 2 HD PVR, CFI ESATA enclosure (3 TB), UNRAID server with ~26TB and growing 3 HD300 extenders and 1 HD200 cranking away over Gigabit ethernet
Old 10-31-2008, 12:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualQuad View Post
I have been running Sage for a long while and my configuration seems to be completely adequate except for one thing, memory leaks.

My Sage server can go about 3 days (in general) before needing a reboot/restart. If I reboot on Friday, it generally makes it through the weekend (of heavier usage) without needing a reboot. Way back when, I had bumped the available Java memory up to 500+MB in hopes of squeaking out increased uptime. This behavior unfortunately didn't appear overnight and has been present on my system for long time. It's just that other things are so good now that the memory issue bugs the crap out of me.

Just checking the memory usage through the Sage Interface shows a gradual but steady increase in memory usage. I have noticed that the interface starts to get "laggy" and other weird occurrences as the memory in use approaches the cap.

Is anyone else experiencing this kind of behavior? If so, perhaps we can tag team on debugging and worse case getting Sage Support involved.

Thanks in advance,
DQ
What Version of Java are you running? Supposedly some of the older versions had memory leaks. I have not noticed this since upgrading to Java 6 update 10 (I believe this is what I am on now).
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter

Last edited by paulbeers; 10-31-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Will have to verify exact version

Previously, I had been upgrading the java version in hopes that the leak was java related and not Sage related. I am running one of the later versions, I want to say is 1.6.0_07, but will verify when I get home.

Verified : Running java 1.6.0_07

DQ
Headless Backend AMD 5050e (XP Pro), 4G Memory, 3TB, storage, Sage 6.5, R5000, 2 HD PVR, CFI ESATA enclosure (3 TB), UNRAID server with ~26TB and growing 3 HD300 extenders and 1 HD200 cranking away over Gigabit ethernet

Last edited by DualQuad; 11-02-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:00 AM
SageTVaholic

I noticed a memory leak that was introduced somewhere in the 6.4 beta cycle. I could run 6.3 for months without a reboot. With 6.4 I get a few days.... I'm using Jave update 7 and have not changed versions.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:09 AM
Sage Icon

I have not experienced any memory leaks with SageTV version 6.4.8.118. My Java version is 1.6.0_07 and the maximum Java memory allocation is 533 MB. The operating system is Windows XP Pro.

I have 2 gigs memory and the available physical memory does not vary much, staying about 980 MB free physical memory.

Dave
Old 11-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ok, I have actually posted about this in other threads. Of course everyone says to upgrade Java. Well I did that and guess what, still cannot go longer than about 2 weeks. I know it's better then most of you but still it's not good. I ran every version of beta until 6.4.8 was "released" and didn't have this problem until 6.4.8!!!!!

Sage needs to address this!! When I start having slowness and other strange issues I go to my server and stop the sage process (not service). When I do this I watch the memory usage and it drops about 500 MB (java). Then I restart sage and memory only goes up about 100 MB.

I have seriously thought about going back to one of the beta versions.
Sage Server: Gigabyte P35-DS3L, Core2Duo E6300 v1, 4GB, XP Pro SP2, Radeon X1550, Sage 6.6.2, 2 HD-PVR, 2 HDHR 4xOTA, Hauppauge HVR-1600 1xOTA and 2xDish ViP211 Receiver, USB-UIRT, 3x640GB WD6400AAKS, headless
Sage Client: 1xSage HD200 HD Extender
Sage Client: 2xSage STX-HD100 HD Extender
Old 11-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Sage Expert

Yes, I've been noticing the same thing lately. I was on Jave 6, update 2, but updated recently to update 10 - around the same time as upgrading to the latest Sage. I haven't looked at any numbers, but I've definitely noticed the system start to get sluggish after a few days of use. A reboot always speeds things up considerably.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have the same problem. I had no problems with 6.3. With 6.4 if I do not restart the service every two days I get slowdowns. The issue are from slow bootups of my regular SD extenders (2 o 3 minutes to start) to non responsiveness on my HD and SD extenders, to not able to connect the placeshitfter. I know it is a problem with sage since I just restart the service and everything is back to normal for two more days.

It is also bugging me a lot on java 6 update 6. Will try to upgrade and post results.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Sage Icon

I had the same problem, where I couldn't go more than a few days (4?) without having issues and needing to reboot with 6.4.8. Don't know if this was a memory leak but sage would just stop responding and wouldn't record. Hadn't updated my java and just did about a week ago to update 10. Not sure if I still have the issue or not. Time will tell.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:52 AM
Sage User

Does anyone have a graceful way to have the machine automatically
reboot at a certian time each day or better yet when Sage has not
pending recordings?

Thanks,
ED
Old 11-02-2008, 09:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgross View Post
Does anyone have a graceful way to have the machine automatically
reboot at a certian time each day or better yet when Sage has not
pending recordings?

Thanks,
ED
I have a script where you tell it how much time you need between recordings and it will reboot your pc. It requires the nielms webserver and wget. You just have to provide the port, username and password in the script. Once run it will keep checking until the time you asked for is availible then it will reboot machine or run any batch job you want.. I run it every Sunday at 5:00am.... but I also run it manually when I update the server and it requires a reboot.

I not only use it to reboot but I use it to run a wizbin backup when no recordings are happeninng at night daily.

Below is just a sample of the top half of the script.

Code:
idleminutes=15                        'Minimum time required between recordings (in Minutes).
TasktoRun="C:\wget\rebootsagebox.bat"           'Your Batchfile or task to run
wgetpath="c:\wget"                     'Path that contains WGET
user="xxxxx"                           'Your User Name
password="xxxxxx"                     'Your password
Servername="xxxxxxx"             'Server name or IP
serverport="8080"                      'Server Port #
temppath="wget"
sample batch file below.
rebootsagebox.bat

Code:
cd c:\wget
c:

process -q SageTV.exe
process -q SageTVclient.exe
net stop SageTV

start shutdown -r -f
rem start shutdown -m \\servername -r -f
del RebootSageBoxRunning.txt
It's a lil too big to attach here because I include wget. Attached is the script no wget included.
Attached Files
File Type: zip rebootsageboxt.zip (27.1 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by nyplayer; 11-02-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Sage User

Thanks..... SLICK! I may be back with a couple questions as I try to install this.

ED
Old 11-02-2008, 04:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Restarting periodically is all very well as a workaround, but I'd also strongly suggest documenting your memory issues with log files and actual memory usage numbers and filing a formal bug report. That's the only way these things get fixed.

(Obviously, make sure you can reproduce the issue with the stock UI and no add-ins or customizations to verify that it's really Sage that's the culprit.)
Old 11-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Sage Icon

The most obvious symptom for me is slower response on my HD extender... how should one document for the developers?
Old 11-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

I hate to jump on the me too bandwagon, but I have this issue as well. For me, it definitely is related to the HD100s. Before I added them, I could go for months without rebooting. As soon as I added them, I had immediate problems which were fixed by increasing the HEAP limit. Afterwards, I could go about 1 week before I had to restart sage (same symptoms... sluggish response... HEAP maxed out at 512megs). I just close the Sage GUI and reopen it, and life is well again.

I just upgraded to the latest version of Java and also to Sage 6.4.8 hoping it would fix this. It actually made it worse for me. I now have to close / open sage every 2-3 days depending on usage. I only have 1 Gig of RAM, so I have been contemplating increasing that. I have also thought about just having the computer automatically periodically reboot.
QTY 2 dual-core AMD 3.0GHz Opteron processors, Windows 7 Pro, 4G RAM, 500GByte system drive, 3TByte recording drives, ATI video Radeon 5500, on-board audio, 3 HD100 Extenders, Gigabyte Switch, 2 Haup. PV150 tuners
Old 11-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Sage Icon

Other details for me...

Have Java 1.6.0_10-b33
Sage 6.4.8.184 - service mode
Java Heap 186/266/266
Old 11-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands View Post
Other details for me...

Have Java 1.6.0_10-b33
Sage 6.4.8.184 - service mode
Java Heap 186/266/266
I'm on the same versions as you and had the problem this weekend. Stopping and starting the sage service put it back to normal.

I was on update 7 of java for a long time and changed to update 10 last weekend.

I'd revert back if I could find a copy......... every link I find takes me back to update 10.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

me too

I am having the same problem and last night it came to a head... WAF plummeting to an unprecedented level... storm clouds rolling in, kids crying, pillows flying, and a moronic repsonse by me to control the madness, "It just takes a reboot..."

Enough is enough... I need to figure out how to kill the service and restart it based on whether it is busy or not.

I will file a big report and I think everyone here needs to as well.

The election, the economy, my 401K, and now this.... ()

then again, it's just TV!
DEFAULT STV
Comskip triggered by DirMON2 --- HD100 / HD200 /HD300
BMI fanart
Old 11-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

LOtsa folks having this issue....

I dont see a common theme amongst the memory leak sufferers here. Since there doesnt seem to be a User base solution, I guess I will give the server a reboot tomorrow and begin capturing some logs. The good thing is that my log collection should come to an end by the weekend, when I will have some time to write up a ticket.

Maybe if support can get enough varied setups, it will help pinpoint the issue.

Thanks for the feedback,
DQ
Old 11-03-2008, 09:37 PM
SageTVaholic

I'd suggest collecting not just SageTV debug logs, but also Windows Performance logs showing actual memory usage over time. This might help correlate spikes in memory usage with specific events in the Sage logs.

Tags
memory java leak