SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

What's your music library scroll speed?

Now that I've got video nailed with the EVR support provided in the 6.5.2 beta it's on to smaller and less annoying things.

Things I've done to speed up music screen navigation:
  • Increase java heap size
  • Set ui/enable_hardware_scaling_cache property to true
  • Turn caching on in SageMC
  • Set cache size to 10000 images

With these changes the folder icons show up immediately when the screen comes in to view, but when paging down the overall speed is still pretty slow.

I'm not sure if the scroll speed is a solvable problem so I'm calling out to you guys for some feedback. Check out this home video of me pressing the remote and the on-screen reaction of the Sage UI. (I promise it's not a RickRoll. Does your music library respond faster when using Page Up/Page Down?

P.S. - The client is powered with a Core2 Duo E6600, has 2GB of RAM and an Nvidia 8600GTS card. Lack of hardware juice isn't the problem.
Currently using SageTV Media Center Server on Windows 7, SageTV Client as an HTPC on Windows 7, and an HD Theater HD200. The server controls 3 Motorola DCH-3200 cable boxes and 3 Hauppauge HD-PVRs (all Rev F1) with HD audio and changes channels via firewire WITH NO LOCKUPS. It's awesome.
4 Steps to Perfect Stutter Free Playback for SageTV
Quick Guide: How to Bitstream Audio in Windows 7

Last edited by GollyJer; 11-29-2008 at 03:24 AM.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

It's a network thing. The client sends the request for the info for each page to the server. The server responds then the client builds the page and displays it. The one thing that could fix this is some cashing like keeping a synced copy of wiz.bin on each client (sorry extenders/placeshifters) This could also allow some client based security controls etc.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by GollyJer View Post
Now that I've got video nailed with the EVR support provided in the 6.5.2 beta it's on to smaller and less annoying things.

Things I've done to speed up music screen navigation:
  • Increase java heap size
  • Set ui/enable_hardware_scaling_cache property to true
  • Turn caching on in SageMC
  • Set cache size to 10000 images

With these changes the folder icons show up immediately when the screen comes in to view, but when paging down the overall speed is still pretty slow.

I'm not sure if the scroll speed is a solvable problem so I'm calling out to you guys for some feedback. Check out this home video of me pressing the remote and the on-screen reaction of the Sage UI. (I promise it's not a RickRoll. Does your music library respond faster when using Page Up/Page Down?

P.S. - The client is powered with a Core2 Duo E6600, has 2GB of RAM and an Nvidia 8600GTS card. Lack of hardware juice isn't the problem.
My scroll speed is pretty good with something like the settings you mention above. I've noticed a huge increase in performance with scrolling speed if I disable the animation system via detailed setup/general/Animation options. In fact, it's so snappy I think I'll keep it like this for a bit.

Perhaps an option to disable animation for specific screens would be useful.

Mick.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

It does seem to be slightly snappier on the server (same specs as the client) but still not fluid like I would expect.

I wonder if putting the cover art in the file tag would speed things up? Currently all my album folders contain a folder.jpg file. Anyone know if there's a difference? I don't understand if Sage puts the album art in it's database ior not. The fact that SageMC added an option to cache album art leads me to believe it's displayed on the fly.

Also, I'm using FLAC instead of mp3. I wonder if file type makes a difference to Sage?

If I find some time after getting our tree today I'll do some testing on these things.

-Jeremy
Currently using SageTV Media Center Server on Windows 7, SageTV Client as an HTPC on Windows 7, and an HD Theater HD200. The server controls 3 Motorola DCH-3200 cable boxes and 3 Hauppauge HD-PVRs (all Rev F1) with HD audio and changes channels via firewire WITH NO LOCKUPS. It's awesome.
4 Steps to Perfect Stutter Free Playback for SageTV
Quick Guide: How to Bitstream Audio in Windows 7