SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Sage Expert

+1 for if you don't like it, just put tape over it

I actually like it, so I can verify that the unit is on and that it's active with the network.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechJunkie View Post
Not sure if your question was answered. The flashing green light is a network activity light. I personaly find it use full since it lets me know if the extender is recieving any data from my server, but I do think another one should have been in the back of the unit and have the option to turn the in the front off.
Here's how I tell I'm getting data from the server... I press play, and if I can see my show, then I'm probably getting data
Old 01-09-2009, 02:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojosch View Post
Here's how I tell I'm getting data from the server... I press play, and if I can see my show, then I'm probably getting data
I have to agree with you - it will be pretty obvious that you are not getting data from the server unless you are using the device in standalone mode to play content from a hard drive or memory card plugged into the USB ports. And in that instance it probably doesn't really matter whether you have a connection or not.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Most devices I've worked with that have NICs onboard usually have an LED pair right on the NIC connector built into the plug. Then if your the tech who needs to troubleshoot, you can look at the one LED on the one side of the connector and its color indicates connection speed, and the other LED on the other side of the connector indicates link up / activity. There is no need to have an LED on the front. I agree that it is bothersome with it flashing while you are trying to watch a show. That is behind the scenes stuff that the user does not need to see. Only the technician needs that.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Electrical tape ftw
Old 02-18-2009, 04:29 PM

WOW! I love sage and my extender but that LED is BRIGHT. I have been closing the doors of the armoire after viewing but I guess I will get the tape out.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

+1 for Activity light is super annoying and out of the norm.

I haven;t put tape over mine yet, but I did find it annoying that the activity light blinks constantly - even when the unit powered down.

For those bright blue leds - like the laser in my ReplayTV - blue masking tape tames that beast.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

+1 Annoying put it in the back like most nic cards or option to turn off.

But yes Black electrical tape works good.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

It amazes me how many consumer electronic devices have front displays full of LED's, flashing lights that seem designed to annoy. I find it incredibly aggravating, who wants to see that crap when you're sitting in a darkened room watching a movie? The HD-200 is particularly bad due to not only the intensity of lights but the fact that the green one is constantly blinking. I put electric tape of over them almost immediately, just like several other devices in my system (the Behringer BFD/EQ for the sub has to be the worst, but I guess I can't complain too much since it wasn't realy designed for home use).
Old 02-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

How about Sage sending a front facia that replaces the existing one and hides the LED's? It will be a far more elegant solution than putting electrical tape over them! :]
Old 02-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Sage Icon

Black Sharpie

I used a black sharpie and a couple passes to dim them. Unfortunately, it is not a very even look and I actually overdid it. I have to turn off all of the room lights to see them at all now.