SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

Importing "TV Shows" from video library to recorded tv

I know this is possible, but Ive not been able to get it to complete successfuly.. Since Im just recovering from a major crash and rebuild, Id thought Id give it a try again. Could someone please give a step-by-step guide on how this is done using current versions of whats avail???

I would GREATLY apprechiate it!! Thanx!!
Old 06-17-2009, 06:08 AM
SageTVaholic

You can use neilm's web interface to edit the show details and that will put the video back into your "recorded shows" area. I'm not at a Sage machine now so can't give the "step-by-step" process.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:56 AM
Sage Icon

Stuckless's BMT program supports this (beta feature) and so does Evil Penguin's mediascraper (i believe). Using BMT its a pain to fix wrong information (although v3 is supposed to fix this). Never used mediascraper but there are lots of people who swear by it. I would check out those threads.
Check out TVExplorer
Old 06-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Sage Expert

Yes, please point us to step-by-step processes. I tried Mediascraper. Beta9 made .properties files ok but I couldn't get it to create the XML files needed to import into STV. Beta13 kept getting stuck with no output at all.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
You can use neilm's web interface to edit the show details and that will put the video back into your "recorded shows" area. I'm not at a Sage machine now so can't give the "step-by-step" process.
I tried this process once upon a time, but couldnt figure out how to create the xml files needed to "build" the metadata to import it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharpe
Stuckless's BMT program supports this (beta feature) and so does Evil Penguin's mediascraper (i believe). Using BMT its a pain to fix wrong information (although v3 is supposed to fix this). Never used mediascraper but there are lots of people who swear by it. I would check out those threads.
I tried EPs plugin with the webserver and had negative results (figured it had something to do with all my "videos" being on an unRAID box and accessed via UNC paths)....

I used BMT for a while to grab metadata/fanart, but stopped as I didnt like what it was grabbing (nothing against Stuckless, as I know many hours went into programing and maintaining BMT).. Im greatly looking forward to v3 as I believe that will give me what I want (seperate app that allows grabbing / verifying / editing of metadata / fanart), expecially if it will allow seamless moving of videos to recorded tv!!

--------------------------

I am currently manually building my fanart (so I can verify that its the correct fanart) and manually using IMDB lookup for metadata for movie info. This diesnt work for my massive Music Video collection and have not figured out how to get data for individual TV eps (IMDB doesnt have that great info for TV shows) and dont currently know what to do when I pull the wrong info a "video" that doesnt have any IMDB entry searchable inside Sage (as it shows the wrong info and I dont know how to delete or manually change it)

Just to verify (as of this post),
current beta Sage is 6.5.17
current prerelease of SageMC is 6.3.9a-45

Last edited by loomdog32; 06-17-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by loomdog32 View Post
I tried EPs plugin with the webserver and had negative results (figured it had something to do with all my "videos" being on an unRAID box and accessed via UNC paths)....
don't know for sure because i dont use ep's mediascraper.... but ep's mediashrink (which i use and love) deals with UNC paths just fine so i doubt that would be an issue since its basically the same code base

Quote:
I used BMT for a while to grab metadata/fanart, but stopped as I didnt like what it was grabbing (nothing against Stuckless, as I know many hours went into programing and maintaining BMT).. Im greatly looking forward to v3 as I believe that will give me what I want (seperate app that allows grabbing / verifying / editing of metadata / fanart), expecially if it will allow seamless moving of videos to recorded tv!!
agreed... i run bmt from the commandline basically because it gives me more control

Quote:
I am currently manually building my fanart (so I can verify that its the correct fanart) and manually using IMDB lookup for metadata for movie info.
i use dvd profiler for metadata and www.themoviedb.org for fanart... this combination works really really well. I have complete control over the metadata (dvd profiler) and it pulls fanart from themoviedb... its a composite provider for BMT. I have some .bat files (i can post them if you're interested) that calls BMT on a particular item and allows me to verify the title.. then it goes to work.. yes its more work then having it all done automatically but its not that much work...

Quote:
This diesnt work for my massive Music Video collection and have not figured out how to get data for individual TV eps (IMDB doesnt have that great info for TV shows)
no idea for music videos but for tv check out www.thetvdb.com this is the provider for BMT and where sean pulls down all of the info. Also, if you're doing everything manually check out www.epguides.com (for episode info it links www.tv.com but it works well)

Quote:
and dont currently know what to do when I pull the wrong info a "video" that doesnt have any IMDB entry searchable inside Sage (as it shows the wrong info and I dont know how to delete or manually change it)
hopefully <fingerscrossed> BMT will allow editing/fixing/reverting the .properties file in 3.0... he has hinted to the fact that 3.0 will allow you to do at least some of these things
Check out TVExplorer
Old 06-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
i use dvd profiler for metadata and www.themoviedb.org for fanart... this combination works really really well. I have complete control over the metadata (dvd profiler) and it pulls fanart from themoviedb... its a composite provider for BMT. I have some .bat files (i can post them if you're interested) that calls BMT on a particular item and allows me to verify the title.. then it goes to work.. yes its more work then having it all done automatically but its not that much work...
Yes, http://www.themoviedb.com is a great site for FanArt movie backgrounds. My bigest complaint about that site is there are alot of redundent backgrounds (mostly 1 thats 720 and another thats 1080 or 1 thats a zoomed in version of another - This is why I perfer to do it manually). I went thru and found fanart backgrounds when it was first introduced. Then I started having a ton of issues with hardware (mostly heat related).. So now its mostly just posters that Im getting (and moving fanart from the old setup of having a background.jpg). Im using http://www.IMPAwards.com mostly for posters and when they dont have something, google image search for " 'title' poster" works very well.

Quote:
no idea for music videos but for tv check out www.thetvdb.com this is the provider for BMT and where sean pulls down all of the info. Also, if you're doing everything manually check out www.epguides.com (for episode info it links www.tv.com but it works well)
Again, Ive been using http://www.thetvdb.com for TV FanArt. Here I perfer to do it manually because of all the foreign FanArt.

For metadata, the big question is, how to I associate the info into Sage?? Im using IMDB lookup (from SageMC) as the only means to lookup metadata.....

Quote:
hopefully <fingerscrossed> BMT will allow editing/fixing/reverting the .properties file in 3.0... he has hinted to the fact that 3.0 will allow you to do at least some of these things
I looked thru the BMT thread (theres alot of reading there) and liked what I read coming from Stuckless.... Hopefully this new v3 will be what Im looking for in the long term.

--------------------------

This still leaves me with what the origional thread question was.. How do I get TVs shows in Videos to show up in Recorded TV???
Old 06-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Sage Icon

i hear you RE the fanart on thetvdb its great but alot of the fanart seems to be repetitive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by loomdog32 View Post
This still leaves me with what the origional thread question was.. How do I get TVs shows in Videos to show up in Recorded TV???
The way i do it is with the experimental BMT option /metadata/importTVAsRecordedShows=true (set in metadata.properties). Then do a metadata lookup in the sage ui... voila they show up in the recorded tv section. The aforementioned huge caviat to this is its a royal PITA to reverse any mistakes.. the webui should make mistakes easier to fix though.

I am still using 2.x havent had a chance to update to the 3.0 yet so the property may be different. I also must say I do this only rarely... only for episode that i miss being recorded. Once editing/fixing/reverting the metadata becomes simpler (hopefully in 3.0) i will probably switch over completely to BMT.
Check out TVExplorer

Last edited by razrsharpe; 06-18-2009 at 06:28 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

I grabed BMT v3beta3.. Ill see how it goes with that and report back, specificially as far as moving videos to recorded tv...

In the past 2 days, Ive installed Vista, then, 7, then XP.. Finally decided to stay with XP, so Im dealing with a completly fresh install..
Old 06-18-2009, 06:30 AM
Sage Icon

thats ALOT of time with the windows installer I have win2003 for my server and love it... When i was setting everything up i made full backups fairly often so i could revert back to a working system in case i screwed something up.

Ill be interested to see what you find out with BMT
Check out TVExplorer
Old 06-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am not having the success I was hoping for with BMT v3b3.. Hopefully because its a beta and the full release will have the functionally Im looking for. Ill ask about it in the BMT thread.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:47 AM
SageTVaholic

I did a step-by-step on how to:
1. Edit show name, synopsis etc
2. Move a video file into "recorded TV"

If interested it's located here. This isn't a how-to on adding coverart or BMT - I'm saving that for a later post.

Anyone know the best way to do #2 in reverse? move a recorded TV show out of "recorded TV" and into videos?

Last edited by Brent; 07-14-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Anyone know the best way to do #2 in reverse? move a recorded TV show out of "recorded TV" and into videos?
I thought just renaming the file to something different would do that.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
I thought just renaming the file to something different would do that.

Gerry
hmm - very true Gerry. If you simply rename the file itself (using windows explorer or something similar) that would do it. I was just wondering if there was a "smoother" way to do it while maintaining the filename, title, metadata etc.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
hmm - very true Gerry. If you simply rename the file itself (using windows explorer or something similar) that would do it. I was just wondering if there was a "smoother" way to do it while maintaining the filename, title, metadata etc.
I've actually experimented with this as well. I have code in bmt that will do this, but it's not exposed at the moment. The process is basically as Gerry noted. Save the metadata, rename the file, delete the file in sagetv, then re-apply the metadata. It's something that I'm hoping to expose via the web ui some year.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I did a step-by-step on how to:
1. Edit show name, synopsis etc
2. Move a video file into "recorded TV"

If interested it's located here. This isn't a how-to on adding coverart or BMT - I'm saving that for a later post.

Thanx Brent.. I shouldve known to check out ur site.. That was what I was looking for.. Its missing "Season" and "Episode" (IE S1E15 - using xx just didnt look right ), but I can live with that.....

Manually editing metadata (by choice), is a long process... But its worth it in the end when everything is good correct data (expecially with custom data for stuff like music videos)
Old 07-16-2009, 07:02 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I've actually experimented with this as well. I have code in bmt that will do this, but it's not exposed at the moment. The process is basically as Gerry noted. Save the metadata, rename the file, delete the file in sagetv, then re-apply the metadata. It's something that I'm hoping to expose via the web ui some year.
wowow cant wait... that will make it easier to archive shows to an import folder drive... how hard it would it be to allow moving the recording i(n addition to renaming it) to a different VIDEOIMPORTPATH \ SHOWNAME \ Season ## \ File?
Check out TVExplorer
Old 07-16-2009, 08:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharpe View Post
wowow cant wait... that will make it easier to archive shows to an import folder drive... how hard it would it be to allow moving the recording i(n addition to renaming it) to a different VIDEOIMPORTPATH \ SHOWNAME \ Season ## \ File?
I never really gave that much thought, but it makes sense. The issue is that by doing what you as asking it will take a few minutes, since it will copy the file instead of move it. (you can use a "rename" on the same filesystem, but if it crosses the filesystems, then you have copy). I'll add you idea to the list
Old 07-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I'll add you idea to the list
Thanks
Check out TVExplorer