SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:42 AM
Sage User

System Upgrade Questions for Linux...

Hey All,

I am looking to upgrade my current system (AMD Ath64 3000+, Asus MB, 2GB RAM, PVR-500, Bunch of HDDs) to a mobile (RV) system with HD capability (As well as consolidate my home systems to one).

Proc: I was thinking that a dual Intel Xeon L5420 Harpertown 2.5GHz LGA 771 50W Quad-Core (100W total) on a SUPERMICRO MBD-X7DCL-I Dual LGA 771 Intel 5100 ATX Dual Intel Xeon Server Motherboard would be cool, but I am thinking that maybe the Nehalems (i7 or Xeon 5500, ie Intel Xeon L5506 Nehalem 2.13GHz LGA 1366 60W Quad-Core) would be better at 20W more (120W) for the pair.

My lame single core cannot really do SD place-shifting, nevermind reasonable transcode rates, so a hyper-threaded quad-core should help that problem, as well as scale for HD work.

Capture: HDHR (~5W at both tuners streaming, 900mA@5V) + Satellite. I considered both capture via ieee1394 + IR Blaster and HD-PVR+SAT (Unknown Wattage, but AFAIK it is a 5V system, and not USB powered, so I imagine that it draws more than the 500mA USB spec--2.5W--so at 1A, it draws the same as the HDHR; and the SAT box power is a wash, since it would be needed either way). but as an HD noob, I am not sure what the best capture strategy is. Sat+OTA augmentation seems like the only reliable source of both video and data (3G cards have a 5GB/Month cap, and then it is ~$50/GB above 5; where SAT is capped more like 14GB/Month before fair use rules apply).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
John
Old 07-05-2009, 04:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Personally, I will never build a client PC again.
  • All servers will be headless.
  • All TVs will use extenders.
It is hard to tell based on what you were describing, but it sounds like you would run the viewing on the server as well.

A quad core is a must for comskip (IMHO) but with an extender, you don't need to do any transcoding. If the RV can support the HD-PVR; it is the only way to go.

B
Old 07-05-2009, 06:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
Personally, I will never build a client PC again.
  • All servers will be headless.
  • All TVs will use extenders.
It is hard to tell based on what you were describing, but it sounds like you would run the viewing on the server as well.

A quad core is a must for comskip (IMHO) but with an extender, you don't need to do any transcoding. If the RV can support the HD-PVR; it is the only way to go.

B
Well, it also sounds like he's trying to save electricity use as well. If that's the case, the all-in-one server approach does still work quite well. Hell, I've been running that way for years now, and have not felt the need to change anything yet. Until Sage gets FULL blu-ray support, it is MUCH nicer to have PowerDVD for disc playback. Going the single system approach is definitely the cheapest route to go as well.

To the specs, I'm running my system on much less capable hardware than what you list there, and it seems to get by just fine. An older Dual Core athlon, relatively cheap ati graphics card, working with HD and SD on a single big screen, and streaming to an MVP in the bedroom. I even use Placeshifter from in my truck when the kids HAVE to be distracted by Dora or some such. With this as an example, I'd say your proposed system will be MORE than adequate.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-05-2009, 10:11 AM
SageTVaholic

He's running Linux, doesn't have access to PowerDVD - FYI. My assumption is that whatever is consuming power, the extender will be the least of his concern. I'd be interested in knowing what "costs" more to run - a cpu decoding video or an extender handling native + low power PC just sending network bits.

B
Old 07-06-2009, 05:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Another thought for you on the HDHomerun. I would take a look at http://www.steventoth.net and see where he is with the HVR-2250. IIRC - He has the digital tuners working which means you could use an internal card instead.

B
Old 07-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Sage User

New Server Rig...

Thanks for all the suggestions. To help clarify:

I am a VMware consultant, and need access to some respectable offline capabilities on the road, so thus the Dual QC system (So it is not just a Sage Server but also VMWare platform, NAS, etc).

As far as the TV use goes I agree that the extender is by far the simplest/most capable. As I will accept some compromize for this system, my "in-head" view so far is:
I expect to have 2 HD TVs, my main server (as referenced, running bedroom TV as monitor, as well as LCD monitor, SagePlaceShifter for TV, remote KB/Mouse for control, not sure about using a classical remote at all), a Mac Mini (SageClient for Livingroom TV, remote, itunes, etc), and our 3 laptops (Clients/Placeshifters as needed).

WAN is expected be a Cradlepoint router using 3 possible uplinks: Satellite (300K:1M), EVDOrA aircard (~400K:768k-1.5M depending on sig strength), and a WiFi client access device for coffeeshop/campground wifi access (Right now thinking a hacked WRT54G router configured as a client since I have 4 of them) and an 8 port gigabit switch. Due to the weak WAN uploads availible, I need the system to be able to compress as much as possible as fast as possible for placeshifting when I am called away.

My long term plan is to have a stationary copy of this system so that it can cover my TV needs if the RV has a failure that prevents grabbing the shows that I want or we are in route without the SAT in place for capture. I expect that a SJQ running rsync will manage the replication, unless anyone has a suggestion for federating SageTV servers...

Thanks all,
John