SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Sage Expert

Placeshifter dynamic streaming not working

I'm trying to run placeshifter for the first time. It's running on a 1.6 (I think) ghz celeron notebook, on G-wireless connection. Note I don't expect stellar video quality.

When I set placeshifter to use "SageTV's Dynamic Streaming" I get extremely choppy and slow video. Also, I notice that the little "kbs" bar in the top right doesn't engage or move at all. I'm not even sure if any transcoding is going on.

If I manually set the encoding parameters, it does seem like I can get things working ok. although I need to experiment with the HD-PVR files a bit more. Regardless, even the HDHomerun mpeg2 files aren't playing anywhere near correctly with the dynamic streaming on.

Before I submit a bug report thought I'd throw it out here. I even read the docs this time by the way.

Thanks,
-Chris C.

Edit: My server is WHS with a 2.4ghz duo-core CPU.

Last edited by Chriscic; 08-28-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Sage Expert

That's a big fat old bug in my book, but not in Sage's and easily explainable...

When running Placeshifter on a local network, Placeshifter ASSUMES that there is ALWAYS plenty of bandwidth and DOES NOT dynamically stream. So, if the bandwidth required exceeds your connection speed (as it will with HD content and wireless G) then you get bad playback. Occasionally it seems to 'make a mistake' and dynamically stream but I have found no way to make it do that consistently. I use my wireless internet broadband connection to stream video even when at home because of this fatal flaw in Placeshifter. Another workaround is to 'plug in' to your router.

Again, SageTV doesn't consider this a bug, so it isn't. <shrug>
Old 08-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Sage Expert

Hmmmm... that's a strange choice by Sage. Wireless streaming is exactly the kind of situation for which dynamic streaming is useful. It also doesn't seem like it'd be very difficult to turn on, although easy for me to say.

My other comment would be that it irks me to no end that the neither the manual or the appropriate configuration windows bothers to mention this. Maybe I missed something obvious (wouldn't be the first time), but otherwise Sage please make mention of this in the appropriate places (and you know I love you guys).

I may go ahead and submit as a bug anyway, just to confirm and get Sage's attention, although I'm sure you know what you're talking about. Thanks much for the information.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Another legacy type issue... when they made placeshifter (along with the MVP software), SD was the norm, which had no problem streaming over pretty much any local network (wireless, or otherwise). You are correct, it should be an option.. but at original design time, wasn't really required.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-31-2009, 08:04 AM
Sage Expert

That makes a lot of sense that it's a legacy issue.

Well, I guess not a lot of folks use placeshifter locally and it wouldn't be high on the Sage list to fix, although I wonder if it's on their list at all.

This has me wondering why even have separate placeshifter and sage client apps. Why not just have one that transcodes when needed? It seems that placeshifter can operate without transcoding anyway, which makes it just like client.

If someone from Sage doesn't jump in here, I'll submit as a bug and see what they say. Thanks,
-Chris
Old 08-31-2009, 08:43 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscic View Post
If someone from Sage doesn't jump in here, I'll submit as a bug and see what they say. Thanks,
-Chris
I wouldn't wait; if something doesn't work like it's supposed to, it's a possible bug, and you should follow up with them. This is a user forum after all, and even though some Sage employees pass through once in a while, don't expect an official answer here.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Have you tried this:
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...99&postcount=9
Old 08-31-2009, 11:17 AM
SageTVaholic

The trick is to not use dynamic streaming but rather use the "fixed bitrate" setting. Pick a number that your network can sustain and it will work, I do this quite a bit.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:05 PM
Sage Expert

Two problems with 'fixed bitate streaming'. First, you have to play with it to get the best quality you can without jerky playback. Second, you have to change it if you 'go on the road'. STV doesn't remember your settings for each type of connection.

I tried the 'miniplayer' minimum network speed setting and it didn't seem to help.

How about, SageTV, just make 'dynamic streaming' work with all connection types?
Old 08-31-2009, 04:02 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
The trick is to not use dynamic streaming but rather use the "fixed bitrate" setting. Pick a number that your network can sustain and it will work, I do this quite a bit.
I thought about that. But on a wireless connection speed is going to vary throughout the house. Sure, I can pick a "safe" minimum level bitrate, but that doesn't maximize quality when I'm in the same room as the wireless router, and what fun is that
Old 08-31-2009, 04:24 PM
SageTVaholic

I didn't say it was a great solution, I just said it worked

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

You can always add a connection to your SageTV placeshifter ( using the locator ID ) and use that connection even when on the LAN ( assuming your PCs are connected to the internet ). That will use dynamic streaming.
Server : Asus M4A79XTD Evo / AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2GHz / 4Gb RAM / Win 10 64-bit / Cinergy 2400iDT (French Freeview - TNT) / 2 * Hauppauge NOVA-HD-S2 (UK Sky) / TT CT-3650 CI / HDD : 4.5 To / Sage V7 / XMLTV Importer / EPG from WebGrabPlus+/ LM DVB Recorder for all tuners / 2 Clients : STP-HD300
Old 09-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Sage Expert

Would that compromise the speed by somehow "sending the signal over internet" (for lack of a better phrase)?

I'm not immediately sure how to do what you're saying but assuming it's easy to figure out I'll give it a whirl when I get home. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunch92 View Post
You can always add a connection to your SageTV placeshifter ( using the locator ID ) and use that connection even when on the LAN ( assuming your PCs are connected to the internet ). That will use dynamic streaming.
When I try that it always says 'cannot connect'. But it connects fine if I use the local network (just doesn't play well with dynamic streaming). And if I use a different internet connection (I have wireless broadband totally separate from my home wireless network), I can connect fine. How do you get it to connect through the internet from a pc that is on on the same wireless network as the server?
Old 09-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

I didn't do anything special, I have a PC with SageTV , and another PC with Placeshifter on the LAN ( same workgroup ).

See attachement :

If I use the connection called "HTPC" , it connects through the LAN and I get 0Kbps

If I use the connection called "My SageTV Internet" , it connects through the internet and I get dynamic streaming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg placeshifter.jpg (61.2 KB, 235 views)
Server : Asus M4A79XTD Evo / AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2GHz / 4Gb RAM / Win 10 64-bit / Cinergy 2400iDT (French Freeview - TNT) / 2 * Hauppauge NOVA-HD-S2 (UK Sky) / TT CT-3650 CI / HDD : 4.5 To / Sage V7 / XMLTV Importer / EPG from WebGrabPlus+/ LM DVB Recorder for all tuners / 2 Clients : STP-HD300
Old 09-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscic View Post
Would that compromise the speed by somehow "sending the signal over internet" (for lack of a better phrase)?
Yes, it is slightly slower as the signal goes on the internet, but it is like using placeshifter from anywhere, and it works fine. Worth a try.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Sage Expert

When you connect on the local network it almost always says '0 kbps' because it's not dynamically streaming.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:31 AM
SageTVaholic

I think this depends on how your router treats loopback conenctions... and no, this will not be going 'through the internet, it will instead just be going to the WAN side of your Router, and back.. No real significant hit on performance.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I think this depends on how your router treats loopback conenctions... and no, this will not be going 'through the internet, it will instead just be going to the WAN side of your Router, and back.. No real significant hit on performance.
Is there some way I can MAKE my router do that???
Old 09-03-2009, 02:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Depends on what router you have. I am running DD-WRT on my router, and it (as i recall, been a while since i tried) functions in this way. Of course, I'm using dyndns.org from the router as well, so I was actually pointing Placeshifter at the dyndns name, which made it go to my public WAN ip.. then the router relays it to the sage server.

Have you tried pointing placeshifter to your public WAN's IP instead of the server's name/ip? This should send it through the router, as opposed to talking directly to the server. (assuming of course you have the proper port forwarded on the router)