SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Can a HD PVR and PVR-150 co-exist in one system?

It's obvious I have no idea what I'm doing, so if anyone can help, that would be appreciated.

Had Sage Media Center installed with a Hauppauge PVR 150, working nicely, booted up to the taskbar in standby - remote worked, the world was joyous.

bought a HD PVR - read manual - installed software.

Now - Sage doesn't boot at all into the taskbar - irremote doesn't boot, and the remote for Sage doesn't even send commands to the IR device (I've turned it around to see if it emits light - nope).

Requester says it can't find hardware (ir blaster), although I physically haven't touched it.

What did the HD PVR software do to trash my nicely working Sage setup?

PS - a Hauppauge 45 remote was included with HD PVR that I use with my PVR-150. How is that going to mesh? I'm sure I'm missing the point in all this, so can someone 'splain it to me simply?

Can you have both the HD PVR and a tuner card (PVR 150 etc) installed at the same time? Do they share drivers?
I'm stumped

Last edited by tvmaster2; 08-30-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:08 AM
SageTVaholic

no one's tried this - one tuner and one HD PVR, tied to one STB?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Sage Icon

I don't know about the PVR-150 and the HD-PVR existing together, but the PVR-350, 2250, and HD-PVR can co-exist together. I had a lot of trouble trying to get the three to co-exist when I tried using the Hauppauge IR, so I do not use any Hauppauge IR, and use only the USB-UIRT, which can control up to three separate set top boxes.

If you have a USB-UIRT, try using it exclusively for all the set top boxes. If you don't own one, you should buy one to end your frustration.

One set top box tied connected to 2 tuners is not a good idea. It would be a good idea if SageTV could be configured to do it. Then the conflicts generated would not be a problem.

I have a separate cable box just for the HD-PVR to record only the HD channels in TS format and a PVR-350 using S-video to record in MPEG2 format connected to another set top box to record non-HD channels. The Hauppauge 2250 has two tuners connected directly to the cable TV coax to record analog channels that do not require a cable box. I also have a HDHomeRun for over the air tuners, since I have very view clear QAM channels on my cable system.

Dave

Last edited by davephan; 08-30-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I don't know about the PVR-150 and the HD-PVR existing together, but the PVR-350, 2250, and HD-PVR can co-exist together. I had a lot of trouble trying to get the three to co-exist when I tried using the Hauppauge IR, so I do not use any Hauppauge IR, and use only the USB-UIRT, which can control up to three separate set top boxes.

If you have a USB-UIRT, try using it exclusively for all the set top boxes. If you don't own one, you should buy one to end your frustration.

One set top box tied connected to 2 tuners is not a good idea. It would be a good idea if SageTV could be configured to do it. Then the conflicts generated would not be a problem.

I have a separate cable box just for the HD-PVR to record only the HD channels in TS format and a PVR-350 using S-video to record in MPEG2 format connected to another set top box to record non-HD channels. The Hauppauge 2250 has two tuners connected directly to the cable TV coax to record analog channels that do not require a cable box. I also have a HDHomeRun for over the air tuners, since I have very view clear QAM channels on my cable system.

Dave
Thanks - what I'd like to do is control ONE satellite receiver with both the PVR-150 and the HD-PVR, for the reasons you layed out, aka TS files and MPG2 files. The problem is, when I installed the HD-PVR software, it seemed to wipeout the PVR software. Did you have that happen, and if so, what was your solution, seeing that you got THREE Hauppauge products working simultaneously.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Thanks - what I'd like to do is control ONE satellite receiver with both the PVR-150 and the HD-PVR, for the reasons you layed out, aka TS files and MPG2 files. The problem is, when I installed the HD-PVR software, it seemed to wipeout the PVR software. Did you have that happen, and if so, what was your solution, seeing that you got THREE Hauppauge products working simultaneously.
I'm confused about what is happening here. So you installed what Hauppauge software? Choices are
1. Drivers
2. Total Media Extreme
3. Something else or combination of above

What PVR software did it wipe out? SageTV or something else?

I have one HD-PVR controlling one cable box all connected to my HTPC which also has a Hauppauge PVR500 dual tuner and SiliconDust HDHR. They all work together fine.

By the way, I highly recommend you do NOT use the Hauppauge IR blaster. Use that USBUIRT as it is much better hardware & software.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I'm confused about what is happening here. So you installed what Hauppauge software? Choices are
1. Drivers
2. Total Media Extreme
3. Something else or combination of above

What PVR software did it wipe out? SageTV or something else?

I have one HD-PVR controlling one cable box all connected to my HTPC which also has a Hauppauge PVR500 dual tuner and SiliconDust HDHR. They all work together fine.

By the way, I highly recommend you do NOT use the Hauppauge IR blaster. Use that USBUIRT as it is much better hardware & software.
I installed the drivers, Total Media extreme and then the updates for HD-PVR from web. At that point, my irremote for my PVR-150 / Sage combo ceased to work, either with the PVR-150 or the HD-PVR. After unplugging the HD-PVR, I had to re-install the PVR-150 software and irremote software to get that combo working again. I don't own a USBIRT. I can't imagine how Hauppauge could design their own products to conflict with each other, requiring a third party ir blaster to make it work. Is there an order to installing Hauppauge devices? How did you do it? does your one Hauppauge remote control both eht PVR500 and HD-PVR?
Old 08-30-2009, 10:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
does your one Hauppauge remote control both the PVR500 and HD-PVR?
Well no. My PVR500 is analog only - not connected to any set top box so it handles channel changes directly. I used to have the HD-PVR channel changing done with the USBUIRT, but switched to firewire channel changing for faster and more accurate channel changes.

If you're having Hauppauge driver changes you might try this. Do HWClear (a program available on the Hauppague support site. This will uninstall all Hauppauge drivers. Then install the HD-PVR drivers, then the other Hauppauge tuners. Then make sure all are working. Then focus on getting channel changing to work.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:18 AM
SageTVaholic

ok, good advice. I would be using two ir blasters connected to one satellite receiver. That's where my concern is - would one remote likely send the same channel change messages to both? Is there a way to set up a channel map that would only allow the HD-PVR access to certain channels?
Old 08-30-2009, 04:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
ok, good advice. I would be using two ir blasters connected to one satellite receiver. That's where my concern is - would one remote likely send the same channel change messages to both? Is there a way to set up a channel map that would only allow the HD-PVR access to certain channels?
Yes, but Sage can not tell that you are using the same STB for both devices. So if the HDPVR is recording a favorite, and Sage sees another Favorite to record with the PVR150, it is going to change the channel of the STB. You will now end up with the same recording in two different formats. For best results your choices are:
1. Get a second receiver for your HDPVR
2. Stop using the PVR150.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 08-30-2009, 04:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
Yes, but Sage can not tell that you are using the same STB for both devices. So if the HDPVR is recording a favorite, and Sage sees another Favorite to record with the PVR150, it is going to change the channel of the STB. You will now end up with the same recording in two different formats. For best results your choices are:
1. Get a second receiver for your HDPVR
2. Stop using the PVR150.
thanks - after spending the better part of four hours on this - installing - re-installing - removing drivers and apps, I can't even get sage to recognize that the HD-PVR exists. I'll call Hauppauge tomorrow, after that - Hollywood wins! they obviously want to make this far harder to do than the average person can deal with. You guys are way smarter than I am, cause' after all this time at the very least the HD-PVR should have shown up as a device in Sagetv's setup menu.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Couple things:

1. Does Windows even see it in the Device Manager?
2. Did it get put in the "ignore encoder" line in your properties file?
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 08-31-2009, 09:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
Couple things:

1. Does Windows even see it in the Device Manager?
2. Did it get put in the "ignore encoder" line in your properties file?
OK, so I did an hwclear, got rid of all Hauppauge software. Installed PVR 150, then installed HD PVR, and now, I can add them both as devices in SageTV (video sources).

However, does anyone know if I can a direct the HD PVR recordings to a specific directory independent off all other recording material, and b tell Sage which device to record with? I have a feeling the latter is not possible, but what about the former?

I too would like to not have to give up the mpg2 standard def recordings if possible, for file size and ease of portability across platforms.

thanks
Old 08-31-2009, 10:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
However, does anyone know if I can a direct the HD PVR recordings to a specific directory independent off all other recording material, and b tell Sage which device to record with? I have a feeling the latter is not possible, but what about the former?
You can specify a recording "prefix" (IIRC that's the term) and Sage will prefer to record that tuner to that directory, but it's not a hard rule.

And you can specify which tuners you want Sage to use first for recordings, but you can't directly say record show x on y tuner, other than disabling channels in the guide.

I too would like to not have to give up the mpg2 standard def recordings if possible, for file size and ease of portability across platforms.

thanks[/quote]
Old 08-31-2009, 11:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
You can specify a recording "prefix" (IIRC that's the term) and Sage will prefer to record that tuner to that directory, but it's not a hard rule.

And you can specify which tuners you want Sage to use first for recordings, but you can't directly say record show x on y tuner, other than disabling channels in the guide.

thanks
[/QUOTE]

I thought about the concept of disabling channels "video source", but Sage doesn't seem to like that. If I enable a channel on the HD-PVR, it also seems to be enabled on the PVR-150. Did you have a different idea I didn't understand? How do you specify which tuner to use first? I couldn't find that in the manual (or didn't look in the right place).
Old 08-31-2009, 12:10 PM
Sage Expert

When you set up the channles, choose a different EPG as opposed to clonign the current EPG or something liek that. Which version of SageTV are you using? Version 6.6.2 has some nice improvements in channel setup. Worse comes to worse, choose a different zip code for each tuner that goes to a different neighboring city btu has the same channel line up. this should be your last resort though.
1x STX-HD100
3x STP-HD200
@cliftpompee
Old 08-31-2009, 02:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clift View Post
When you set up the channles, choose a different EPG as opposed to clonign the current EPG or something liek that. Which version of SageTV are you using? Version 6.6.2 has some nice improvements in channel setup. Worse comes to worse, choose a different zip code for each tuner that goes to a different neighboring city btu has the same channel line up. this should be your last resort though.
Ahh - really? that would work? So if the zipcode / postal code is different, Sagetv will look at those as seperate entities? I think the EPG I used was the first one on the list XMLTV or whatever. Let me try that.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Actually in more recent versions you don't even have to pick a different lineup, you just pick the option to "copy" instead of "use" an existing lineup. So for example I could have two tuners using "Dish Network USA" as the lineup source, but if I choose "copy" instead of "use" I can independely enable different channels on each.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:35 PM
Sage Icon

I recorded analog and HD from the same STB for awhile until I got the HD-PVR rock solid. You just need to setup each tuner with a separate lineup(like already mentioned). I had the blaster on one set to null so only one changed channel. (Not sure what would happen with both changing channels at the same time.)

In your favorites you just select the show and set it to use only a particular channel number. (seems like sage added 1000 to the original channel number for the duplicate listing.) You should be able to record some in analog only if you like. Although it is possible to set the recording folder by tuner in the properties file I don't know what the advantage would be.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Actually in more recent versions you don't even have to pick a different lineup, you just pick the option to "copy" instead of "use" an existing lineup. So for example I could have two tuners using "Dish Network USA" as the lineup source, but if I choose "copy" instead of "use" I can independely enable different channels on each.
well if that's the case, then doesn't that solve the mpg2 problem? All I need to do is enable the HD channels for the HD PVR, and visa versa for SD?
Old 08-31-2009, 06:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
ok, i'm stumped - how do i do that?

thanks