SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Sage Expert

ATSC OTA and Cable Channel Confusion-OTA, HD-PVR, & SD

OK, I was just noticing this last night and it confused the heck out of me.

I have a couple of PVR-USB2's that grab the usual 2-96 or whatever analog cable signal.

I have an HD-PVR that grabs the HD stuff via STB & USB-UIRT blaster

Since I straddle 2 markets, I have some ATSC tuners for Madison, WI and some for Rockford, IL

I was noticing that many of my OTA HD channels suddenly vanished, even though they were clearly tunable and green-dotted under scans and setups.

These are the problems I found:

The Madison download calls the same channel differently than the Rockford download. e.g. WTVODT vs. WTVO-DT or, worse, WTVO-DT2 vs. TheCW.

My cable operator puts out some channels on standard def analog. One was, you guessed it, WTVODT.

My cable operator puts out some digital SD & HD channels. Guess again my example - WTVODT.

Long story short - I had to eliminate all instances of one WTVO-DT or WTVODT - to get Sage to recognize my OTA preferrence.

This happens on secondary channels as well.

The hyphen/no hyphen thing throws SageTV for a loop, as does the out and out different naming, such as WTVODT2 vs. TheCW.

Bottom line - watch your channel names closely under your analog cable, STB to HD-PVR cable, and cross-market if you happen to have that option. Sage's provider does not consistently name the same physical channel with the same logical name.

Just an FWIW
Asus P5Q Premium MB, E6750, 4GB RAM, 32-bit XP Pro SP3, 3Ware 9590SE controller, 80GB 7.2K Laptop boot drive w/SuperSpeed Cache Utility & eBoostr, (1) KWorld ATSC-110, (1) 950Q USB, (1) 2250 tuner, (1) HD-PVR using USB-UIRT, (1) 1600 Dual card, (1) DVICO Fusion 5 Gold, (1) Hauppauge 1250, (1) Hauppauge 2250, 8 various storage HD's, NEC-based x1 USB add-on card, 2 outdoor antennas capturing 2 different OTA markets, Dish Network w/HD Receiver for HD-PVR.