SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:22 AM
Sage User

Sage + extender memory leaks?

Why has sage become such a memory hog. Let me just begin by saying I've done all of the suggestions I could find around here to fix this issue...

- changed Heap to 512/1024M
- Updated Java, and even tried it with the Java that came with the pack
- Latest drivers LAN/Video, chipset. RAM has been tested, HD's are good.

Trouble that I'm seeing, and seeing with just the base SageTV installs, is that everytime I turn on the HD200, there is a segment of memory, 5-50Meg, used that is never cleared after the extender is done being used. If a movie is played on top of that even more memory is sacrificed(depends on what kind of movie, DVD, HD etc)

after just turning on the HD200 about 10-15 times, and let it sync, the memory allocated to SageTV starts getting out of hand. 300, 400, 800 ... I even took it up to 1Gig hoping it would plateau out somewhere.

So, over the long term, ie few days of normal use, the Sagetv buffers are not being cleared, and all movement, and activities start to come to a screeching halt. Sluggish at first, and then overburdening

From what I was reading this started happening around Sagetv 6.4.8. I tried 6.5, 6.6, but don't have a copy of 6.4.8. I also tried this on 6.4.5, and 6.3.9... This memory leak seems to happen on these as well, but at a dramatically slower pace, 1-3Meg, instead of 50Meg+. So, it would last allot longer time. From what I've read people say it plateau's around 200-250Meg, This would be great.

The one trouble I have though is that the HD200 gives this 15-Day Trial logo all over the screen whenever I use anything under SageTV 6.5. Apparently when you buy an HD200 after a certain point it is assumed you are going to use SageTV 6.5+... I'm trying to backup to 6.4.5, or 6.3.9... They will do everything I need them to do, and provide more stability.

Sent an Email to Sage requesting a Key for the HD200, I still have my original Email, and there is no key. Then I can see if these other earlier versions really work better.

Im not even sure how this key is supposed to interface with sage. Is it something you put in the extender? or the Sage properties file?

Spook

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:35 AM
SageTVaholic

On Sage 6.5 and up the HD200 is recognized as a licensed device for Sage. For any version below 6.5 you are required to have a Placeshifter license. The key is entered on the Sage server via the Start menu of Windows. Start-All Programs-SageTV. Please consult your SageTV manual that is installed with your version of SageTV. Also make sure you are using the latest beta firmware on the HD200.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:10 AM
SageTVaholic

I understand you want to stay at 6.4, however, you realize that if there are memory leaks, they were most likely taken care of in newer versions. I am running 6.6.2 and notice no such memory leaks. My java heap is staying steadily at about 300mb with mutliple HD100's and HD200's. This is with the Standard STV and not SageMC, so if you are running SageMC there may be some issues with memory leaks with that (can't say since I am not running).
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 12-13-2009, 11:48 AM
SageTVaholic

If you can reliably reproduce this with the current version of SageTV, current firmware, and no add-ons of any kind, you should submit a bug report.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Sage User

I do use SageMC, but for purposes of testing, and uninstalled everything, and just reinstalled STV. I wanted to eliminate any other modules I might have added as a possible problem. Also, I just recently put Win7 on this machine, and maybe there is a compatibility issue with Win7.

.... ok I started the above entry a few hours ago, and I have now installed WinXP back on that machine.

I have good news... SageTV with the base 6.6.2 goes up to about 300Meg, and stays there... With my SageMC installed, it goes up to about 355Meg, and stays there.

So, it appears I have a trouble with the way Sage, or maybe Java, plays with the Win7 Memory Manager....

Is anyone else working properly on Win7?
Old 12-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by spook View Post
I do use SageMC, but for purposes of testing, and uninstalled everything, and just reinstalled STV. I wanted to eliminate any other modules I might have added as a possible problem. Also, I just recently put Win7 on this machine, and maybe there is a compatibility issue with Win7.

.... ok I started the above entry a few hours ago, and I have now installed WinXP back on that machine.

I have good news... SageTV with the base 6.6.2 goes up to about 300Meg, and stays there... With my SageMC installed, it goes up to about 355Meg, and stays there.

So, it appears I have a trouble with the way Sage, or maybe Java, plays with the Win7 Memory Manager....

Is anyone else working properly on Win7?
I am running SageTV in W7 and the memory is at 318,176 and seems to be holding right around that number.

SageTV V: 6.6.2.218
Java V: 1.6.0_10

I am not running SageMC
Old 12-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm running on WHS, using SageMC and I am seeing the ever escalating memory that is not being cleared.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:19 AM
Sage User

So, in the end I did a few things to resolve my issues, and I've been running very well for a week now.

1st... The whole JavaHeapsize thing... I initially changed it to default, 0 (which seems to be, at least under windows 7, 512Meg) Memory issues kept going up however, so, at some point I reinstalled W7, and never changed the Javaheapsize.

2nd As part of normal use, the HD200 would be powered off, at least every night. I don't mean just powered off by remote, I mean powered off from the outlet. The power outlet that the device was on is controlled by the light switch for the room. Changed the power source on that, and has power all the time now, but does get 'turned off' by remote power button.

3rd I turned off 'Fan Art' in SageMC, I never used it anyway, but it really helped on overall efficiency of the system

So, I've seem to have stabilized around 512Meg, but that jumps up, and comes back down as movies/shows are played. Again, its been working great for a week now, so take it for what its worth.

Spook

Last edited by spook; 12-21-2009 at 07:21 AM.