SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Sage User

Weather location and data null?!

I am running 6.6.2.218 and using an hd200. Everything worked fine at first, but I am having problems with the weather report now. I don't know what caused it.

First time I noticed it was this morning. in extender mode the hd200 showed weather for the correct location, but from 29 Dec. 2009. In standalone mode it showed now data, just null everywhere. I went to system info in both modes and the date was correct. I then tried to change the location and this is what happened: My location was originally set as Olympia (98513)(98513) in both modes. In extender mode I changed the weather location to 90210. The system came up with Beverly Hills and I selected it. The location then showed as "Olympia (98513)(90210)" and the data remained the same 29 Dec. data for 98513. I did a hard reset (unplug, wait, plug in, hold delete on power up). Then I went to weather settings in stand alone mode and set location to 98513. The system found Olympia and I selected it. Now the location in stand alone mode showed "null (98513)". Next I went to the computer where SageTv is running. Here the location and data showed and behaved just as it had in extender mode on the HD200. I found the weather cache file and deleted the contents and went to weather settings. It found Olympia from zip or city name typed in. Either way I select it and the location now shows "null (98513)" or "null (USWA0318)" and all of the data is "null".

I can view youtube and other online content just fine. The only thing that seems broken is the weather.

Any Ideas? Thanks in advance!
Max
Old 01-25-2010, 12:10 AM
Sage User

Well, I thought maybe it was not a good idea to delete the weather cache file contents so, I ran a repair install. No change

Then I uninstalled SageTv using revouninstaller to get leftover registry and file items. I reinstalled SageTv and it still won't give me a weather location other than "null".
Old 01-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Are any of the ports mentioned in this FAQ blocked:
What ports do I need to open in my firewall for SageTV?

Maybe there is something else blocked on the router, but I'm not yet sure what that might be.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:49 PM
Sage User

Thank you.

I set new rules to allow all traffic in both directions from any computer over all of the ports listed in the FAQ. I then closed SageTV, rebooted my computer, and started SageTV. Nothing changed.

I checked my router logs and the only thing that had been blocked over the last few months was Google trying to get to the google talk server.

There was a period of a few hours earlier today (before making the firewall rule) that Sage would forget my Weather location setting completely when I restarted the program. Every time I opened Sage after closing it I would be told that the weather settings were "not set". Now it seems to remember that I set it up, it just doesn't function.

When I search for different zip codes and city names where does SageTv get the data for the results? I ask because when I am doing this it appears to look online somewhere. This part works. I have tried many different city names and zip codes that I had not searched for prior to this issue and The list is well populated every time. If this data is in a file on my system it means nothing for getting out, but if it is from a server I would assume the same server as weather data?

The other weird thing to me is that when I search for a location it shows me all the options as "CityName(Zip or Location code)(Zip or Location code)" For my example I search for 98513. The list shows "Olympia, WA (98513)(98513)". I select that option and when it returns to the weather report configuration screen it reads "Curernt location: null (98513)" as if it cannot remember all of the setting data that it just knew a few seconds prior.

This happens for every location I search for. accurate search results with complete information. "null(correct zip or location code)" on the config screen.

This error makes me suspect missing data in a local file. BUT I uninstalled and reinstalled SageTv and reloaded all the updates yesterday with no improvement. AND my HD200 behaves the same way even in stand alone mode??? I expect it to simply relay the server settings and server received data when in extender mode, but would expect it to ignore the server software in stand alone mode. This makes me suspect a router or firewall issue even though I cannot find any evidence to support that fact.

The frustrating part is that it all worked perfectly when I first hooked it up last week.

I do also get all other online data -- although I do cannot test the program directory since I have no tuner connected Sage won't let me set up a source so I can try to download the guide.

What IP does Sage attempt to connect to for the weather data? Maybe I can set a rule for access to that IP in my router. I cannot seem to set any rules for specific ports there.

Thank you again! I really love the system when it is working and I look forward to adding more functionality when I have a chance to explore plugins.

-- would it be better to forget this issue and get some other weather plugin? I don't know if I can let it go though I really hate problems I can't solve -- even if I need help from others to do it.

Max
ps: sorry so long winded.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:57 PM
Administrator

I don't know what the issue could be. It just downloads XML files from weather.com, which is where all the search results & weather info comes from. If you can connect to weather.com, SageTV should be able to do so too, as far as I know.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:00 AM
Sage User

strange. I can connect there and it seems that Sage can get the xml for searching locations.

Where does Sage store the location setting? I cannot find it in the properties file with other settings

Edit: I did find "locID=98513" in the weather_cache.properties file. This is the entire contents of that file with notes added:
#SageTV Weather Data
#Mon Jan 25 22:11:16 PST 2010 // this date and time updates every time I change the loc setting
units=s
lastCCUpdateTime=0 // none of these times change
lastLocUpdateTime=0
lastFCUpdateTime=0
locID=98513 //anything I put in this variable shows in the parenthesis after null in the config screen
lastSponsorUpdateTime=0

Any idea what variables may be missing that the system needs in order to retrieve data?

Last edited by chinook; 01-26-2010 at 12:22 AM. Reason: more info -- almost answered my own question
Old 01-26-2010, 02:50 AM
Sage User

OK.

Here's what I found...

I am connected to the internet without a router or network. I took my aircard and plugged it into my main desktop. the weather behaves exactly the same as it did when going through my routers. Definitely not a router issue.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it! I even turned off my firewall completely and no change. And it looks like the WRS plugin I was considering uses the weather.com xml data as well so I doubt it would fix my problem.

Maybe there are certain registry items or files that even RevoUninstaller missed, but it has always been thorough.

I do see weather config variables in the SageTV3_i18n.properties file, but have no idea what they should be for the location I want or why SageTV cannot save the required info.

I saw on other forums that deleting the weather_cache.properties file was a possible solution for other issues so I assume there is no reason to think something missing there could be the problem.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Enable debug logging on your PC and post the resulting debug log with the period where you tried to use the weather menu. Maybe that will have some info.

The weather data is stored in weather_cache.properties, but I think you found that already.

- Andy
Old 01-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Sage User

Here are the ones that seemed relavent: (I can post the entire file contents if needed)
These are the lines with error, exception, or weather in them plus a few surrounding lines that could be important. Let me know if I should just post the entire file contents..

Maybe a Java problem? but how would that affect the hd200 when it is not connected to the server?

Thank you so much! I hope you can make more sense of this than I.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Please zip & attach the whole log file; excerpts could be the wrong parts.

- Andy
Old 01-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Sage User

I wondered. Thank you. sorry for the ridiculously long posts.
I think I attached it ...
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv_0.zip (12.2 KB, 225 views)
Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Do you have the same problem if you try to use a different zip code?

- Andy
Old 01-26-2010, 09:30 PM
Sage User

Yes.

No matter what zip code or city name I search for (ones Ive searched for prior or ones I have never searched for). The search always succeeds, but the setting says it is null when it returns to the config menu.

"null" always precedes the parentheses and the location code or zip code is always the correct one (the most recent selected from search results) in the config menu, even though the search results list shows the full city,state(zip).
Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 PM
Sage User

FYI - I copied the url from my most recent log and pasted it in FireFox and xml displayed correctly. I also replaced the "98513" with "USWA0120" and got the correct xml as well. -- I am connected with normal firewall and router settings.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv_0.zip (9.9 KB, 215 views)

Last edited by chinook; 01-27-2010 at 12:39 AM. Reason: forgot to attach new log file
Old 01-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Administrator

I was just coming back to ask you to do that, but to save the resulting xml file from the browser & attach it to a post.

Also, could you try updating Java on your PC?

And, I didn't go reread the previous posts to see if you've already updated the HD200 firmware, but if you haven't done so, see the Announcements post for info about updating to the latest HD200 firmware.

- Andy
Old 01-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Sage User

Question

I updated the hd200 firmware when I got it, but didn't realize right away that I had to do multiple updates. I got to a certain point and it began to say "failed to check for updates". At the same time it would no longer play any online content. I received info in the hd200 forum, followed instructions, and the only way to get it to update was to recover via pc server (it wouldn't work USB). I immediately updated to beta firmware. YouTube and others returned, but weather did not.

That's when I came across a thread that said Sage software may not update properly unless done manually. I verified that my update told me there were no updates available even though the version date was old. I do not have UAC enabled on this vista machine so it does store the weather_cache in the standard folder, but the update does not work.

I downloaded every update that was dated newer than my software said and loaded each one carefully. I checked which files it contained, renamed the current ones for backup and copied the files to the proper locations. Then I started SageTv, let it set a bit, and shut it down. I repeated this until I had installed the most recent .STV. This did not fix the weather.

Yesterday after I checked the weather XML I installed the latest version of java (I think 6_18). I will post the XML content as soon as I can get back to that computer.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Sage User

OK, here's the xml data retrieved. I used my zip code(98513), my location code(USWA0120), and a random zip code I had never tried for anything (30312).

Edit: actually that is what I copied from the browser window. the source code also included the standard XML declaration and excluded the dashes "-" also the comment lines were single lines of code in the source code. I just realized what I had done.
Attached Files
File Type: zip weathertest.zip (4.0 KB, 221 views)

Last edited by chinook; 01-27-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: forgot to attach file
Old 01-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Administrator

I asked someone at SageTV what might be happening since I don't know why you are getting this error. The suggestion was for you to use Wireshark to directly capture the info SageTV is getting from weather.com so they can look at the actual data SageTV is seeing.

And, I asked about your version of Java because the log showed a much older version. perhaps you've still got the old versions installed? If so, uninstall them all & only install the latest. (However, Java on the PC doesn't explain what is going on with the HD200, which is the reason for wondering about what's coming in over the network.)

- Andy
Old 01-28-2010, 03:17 AM
Sage User

Smile

Well...

I downloaded wireshark, installed it, and watched it capture a bit. all I saw without sage running was my wireless router broadcasting and my local machines querying one and other.

So I started SageTV, went to online svcs, weather. I saw the IP's for Sage, and TWC. The weather location said "not set" so I set it to 98513 as usual.

This time It worked!! the config screen showed "Olympia, WA (98513)(98513)"!
I then viewed all the current weather and forecast info in both my SAgeTV software and on the HD200

I have included the Wireshark file since I had it. It does look like there were some packets that needed reassembly

I have no idea what happened, but it works for now!

Thank You SOOO much Opus4 for all you help! I appreciate it very much

Max
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20100128.zip (6.7 KB, 198 views)
Old 01-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinook View Post
I have no idea what happened, but it works for now!
I have no idea what happened either, but I'm glad to hear it is working.

- Andy