SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Sage Icon

Issues with v7 and DirectShow, MKV's AVI's...

I'm loving v7 overall, but since it has co-opted my DirectShow chain with the new demux filter, some of my MKV's and AVI's no longer play. I use to have a set of splitters and decoders that made this all work. v7 changed all that. Everything use to go through the Haali splitter except for I think MP4's, but now with the v7, Haali is no longer used and some of my MKV's have no video and many of my AVI's have no audio or simply won't play. The SageTV Player is a solution for some media, but then *it* has problems with stuttering and grand pauses on some MKV's. I had it setup with v6 to use DirectShow only and never use SageTV Player as there were issues with it.

These "troubled" files play fine on the same clients through Windows Media Player via Haali (I'm on Windows XP). I'm happy to supply client log snippets if it'll help.

I noticed in the release notes that FFDShow is recommended so maybe I'll give that a shot.

Anyone else running into this?
Client: HD300, Asus Pundit P1-AH1, AMD 3800+ X2 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 6150 graphics, ArcSoft decoders
Backup: Synology
SageTV version: FINAL
Old 05-26-2010, 11:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Just remember to submit a bug report for your issue - Actual SageTV Employees do frequent these forums, but you aren't guaranteed that they'll actually see your post.

btl.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Sage Icon

Something tells me I should have known this already, but this fixed my issue by allowing Haali to work as before:

set HKLM\Software\Frey Technologies\Common\DirectShow\EnableSageTVStreamDemux=0

Addendum: While this does allow Haali to work, it appears that the video codec with the highest merit for DirectShow (i.e. the default) MUST match whatever codec you choose within SageTV, otherwise one will get video stuttering issues.
Client: HD300, Asus Pundit P1-AH1, AMD 3800+ X2 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 6150 graphics, ArcSoft decoders
Backup: Synology
SageTV version: FINAL

Last edited by phelme; 05-27-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
Something tells me I should have known this already, but this fixed my issue by allowing Haali to work as before:

Addendum: While this does allow Haali to work, it appears that the video codec with the highest merit for DirectShow (i.e. the default) MUST match whatever codec you choose within SageTV, otherwise one will get video stuttering issues.
Thank you phelme. I've been having the same issues with some .mkv files. I had noticed that registry option but haven't tried it yet - wasnt' sure what it would do. I'll try it out, and adjust the decoder merits as well.

Yours is one of the few posts discussing the new demuxer. Hopefully this gets my .mkvs playing smoothly again...
Server/Client: SageTV 7.1.9, XP Pro SP3; ATI Radeon HD 4200 IGP, VMR9, 52" Sharp Aquos LC52D85U. Motherboard: MSI 785GM-E65, AMD Athlon II X3 425 Rana 2.7GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM; HDHomeRun (2x QAM), HVR-1600 (1x Analog, 1X QAM); A/V receiver: Onkyo TX-SR505
Old 05-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Sage User

Registry location for EnableSageTVStreamDemux in Windows 7 64bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post

I've noticed for Windows 7 64bit (and I assume Vista 64bit as well), the registry location would be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Frey Technologies\Common\DirectShow\EnableSageTVStreamDemux=0
Server/Client: SageTV 7.1.9, XP Pro SP3; ATI Radeon HD 4200 IGP, VMR9, 52" Sharp Aquos LC52D85U. Motherboard: MSI 785GM-E65, AMD Athlon II X3 425 Rana 2.7GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM; HDHomeRun (2x QAM), HVR-1600 (1x Analog, 1X QAM); A/V receiver: Onkyo TX-SR505
Old 06-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

Changing this registry setting allowed my .mkv files to work without stuttering, while most (but not all) had major issues with playback prior to changing that.

It appears that .mkv files however now have a slight brightness issue compared with other files and recorded tv. They all appear dark. Are there filter settings with Haali (which I think is being used for .mkv playback now via "directshow" settings in Sage)?

Also, what do you use for adjusting (or even seeing) which codecs have which priority (merit)?? I am on Win 7 (64-bit). Can you use GraphEdit to view which files are choosing which codecs? Or should I use something else?

Last edited by mangriotis; 06-28-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:11 AM

Can someone tell me how iI am to add this new key for win7 home basic 64 bit
as I'm new to sagetv and to sure of adding thing's to the reg.
thanks in adv.