SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Sage User

Black screen with placeshifter

Okay, I have an isolated, repeatable BSOD (Black screen of Death) when starting up Placeshifter on one particular machine. I've searched and read the related threads and checked all the usual suggestions:

1. Ensure Java updated.
2. restarted client and server machines
3. Ensured Placeshifter works from other machines on same network.
4. Disabled Windows firewall on machine to ensure no blocking.
5. Checked routers for any specific blocking of machine in question.
6. Used web client to confirm on the machine is question that placeshifter is making a connection. That is I was able to use webclient to maximize/normalize screen, but nothing plays and screen stays black.

My configuration is:

Client:
XP Pro
Placeshifter v6.6.1.217
Java 1.6.0-20

Server:
Vista
SageTV 6.6.2.218
SageMC 6.3.9
Java 1.6.0-20
Sage Webserver

Network :
Router and switch between machines

I'd be glad to do any logging, but I need some guidance on how to enable it.

Any/all help appreciated.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sorry Dan, I misread your post. I thought you were having issues with the client vs. Placeshifter.
Dan, did you see my post here? You may be having similar issues as me. Have you let the blank screen sit for a few minutes? In my case, the client eventually started, but it would take forever. Deleting the SageClient.properties did the trick on my machine, but it also requires reconfiguring your client (as it will return to default options upon deleting this file). Hope this helps.

Last edited by ptzink; 08-02-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Sage User

I'm still having issues, but more of them now so I'm trying to iron them out. A recent Windows update forced a restart of the server and now I'm getting Placeshifter cannot connect issues(i.e...I dont even get to the BSOD). I've never understood why the Placeshifter initial UI can identify and list the Server it finds on my network, but then not connect to it when selected.

Anyhow, I will continue to look into this. I've mucked around with a few different things on the server, client and router firewall (not to mention a Power blip that sent things haywire) so its tough to give a clearer picture at this point but I will update once I have one.

Btw I don't use "Client". Just Placeshifter on various laptops and two MVPs.