SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Sage Fanatic

How can I decode DTS on my Sage server

I'm using Sagetv latest beta and I ripping Blurays. But some are only in DTS. So I can I decode them using the sage server and the hd200 with the use of a AV receiver or something? I would like to use a software decoder?

any good ones out there.

thanks

3/HD-100's, 1/HD-200
Old 08-29-2010, 12:07 PM
SageTVaholic

nothing on-demand. Your options for HD200 + BluRay is to either rip the discs, then add an AC3 audio track to them (tsmuxer and ClownBD i believe both can do this), or use a DTS capable receiver at the HD200.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-30-2010, 07:43 AM
Sage Expert

Add a pre-processor +multi-channel amp or a multi-channel receiver. You've already got a 50" TV, so it would be a shame to listen only to down-mixed stereo.

If you already have a multi-channel audio system, but only lack DTS decoding, you can easily create an AC3 track as mentioned. Another program that can do this is Popcorn Audio Converter - super easy to use and relatively quick.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
or use a DTS capable receiver at the HD200.

Can you explain this please?
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 08-30-2010, 11:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusvball View Post
Can you explain this please?
Any AV receiver you could buy today would have DTS decoding built in. The HD200 can output the original DTS stream via the SPDIF optical output, or the HDMI output. Feed this into the Receiver, and you should have full DTS 5.1 surround sound (works for Dolby Digital as well).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
The HD200 can output the original DTS stream via the SPDIF optical output, or the HDMI output.
And to finish the audio-path, any such decent receiver will be able to output to 5 or more discrete speakers plus a subwoofer, OR down-mix to two-channel stereo if you will only use two speakers (or two speakers plus a subwoofer).
Old 08-30-2010, 05:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Costs some money but do you think this has a chance of working?

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Premium.../dp/B0031SWDKI

I think the questions are...

1. Does the stereo output only work when there is stereo input or does it actually decode DTS to stereo?
2. Is there a way to make a TV (probably depends on the TV) take video from HDMI but audio from another source?

Despite having doubts that this would work, figured I'd just throw it out there.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Actually, this one is cheaper and has some things in the description that make it sound more plausible.

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Switche.../ref=pd_cp_e_1
Old 08-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Sage Expert

or get a dts decoding speaker bar.

I've gone that route in one place where I have a LCD hanging on the wall and want the speakers to move with the TV.

Like this

http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-HTSB500-...3211891&sr=8-1

Quote:
nothing on-demand. Your options for HD200 + BluRay is to either rip the discs, then add an AC3 audio track to them (tsmuxer and ClownBD i believe both can do this), or use a DTS capable receiver at the HD200.
Clients: Wired: HD300, HD200, HD200 running Squeeze Slave, Placeshifters, HD200 (via wireless N bridge)
Old 08-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Unfortunately, the TV I'd like to be able to play Bluray is in the bedroom and there's no way my wife is going to let me put up a speaker in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Crusher View Post
or get a dts decoding speaker bar.

I've gone that route in one place where I have a LCD hanging on the wall and want the speakers to move with the TV.

Like this
So does something as simple as

http://www.amazon.com/Switch-Switche...3212567&sr=1-1

work without even a power supply? Is this a way to basically upgrade our HD200 to do one of the features requested in the HD300 or am I missing something?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Sage Expert

I'm just gong to add a couple of comments...

Given what you've stated about your system, don't buy any additional hardware. The HDMI switcher you linked to won't do anything for you. It only supports pass-through of HDMI including DTS - it doesn't do any decoding.

For now, your best option (please trust me on this) is to do pass those videos with DTS only through Popcorn Audio Converter and simply add an AC3 track to them. It's free, it's fast and it fits your requirements. If you want to down-mix to stereo all the time, it's absolutely a waste of time and money buying any hardware to add to your system - it will just add clutter and will not improve the sound in any way.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:33 PM
SageTVaholic

no, that is to connect up to 3 HDMI devices to a tv that only has one HDMI input. That's all it does, is select the last device turned on. It has nothing to do with audio, other than it passes the selected source HDMI signal (including the audio) through to the tv.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Any AV receiver you could buy today would have DTS decoding built in. The HD200 can output the original DTS stream via the SPDIF optical output, or the HDMI output. Feed this into the Receiver, and you should have full DTS 5.1 surround sound (works for Dolby Digital as well).
Does this require you to do something? I can assure you that I have tried using receivers and I can not get the DTS track to play with my HD200.

I know there are two different sound options on the setup for the HD200. Does that perhaps affect this working?

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Seemed too good to be true. Thanks. Oh well.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:45 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't have an HD200, but I believe you have to set the audio output mode to SPDIF. (this is for using either SPDIF output OR HDMI).

Old 08-31-2010, 08:28 AM
Sage Expert

When setting digital Audio output (which you have to do in standalone mode) you can choose Bitstream or PCM. You should set Bitstream.

You also have to make sure that if your movie has multiple audio tracks that you are playing the correct one. And of course, the receiver must support DTS - which everything in the past 10 years should. And lastly that you're using the digital audio output on the HD200. So yes, there are a number of things you have to do.

If you buy any other hardware to add to the HD200, tryst me, you will be regretting it later and kick yourself for not taking my advice. Unless of course you will be adding discrete speakers for a real surround experience, then go nuts and get yourself a nice receiver. But for stereo listening, don't buy anything now.

Last edited by TwistedMelon; 08-31-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Soundbar + Subwoofer adds quite a bit of audio quality over most TV speakers - especially on the low (bass) end. If you have the room and ability to get something mounted I doubt you'd regret that......

Something like this works very well with the HDn00 devices, and only adds two speakers to the clutter - the receiver part is all housed in the sub woofer which can be placed out of sight......
Old 08-31-2010, 08:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Having said that, I'd recommend just ripping and adding AC3 as suggested above for now if you are happy with the sound quality from your TV.

I'm a musician in my spare time, so the audio quality is important to me. Not everyone has the same priority though.....

btl.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:56 AM
SageTVaholic

And, now that there's a big announcement on the home page, the new extender decodes DTS and mixes it down to stereo if you want it to. SO if you are going to buy anything, buy that

btl.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:00 PM
Sage Expert

And the upcoming HD300 arrival is why I was suggesting not buying anything else at the moment. It will do the DTS down-mix itself.