SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Sage User

Minimum Up speed for internet connection?

I recently tried to use my HD300 from a second home to view live TV from my SageTV server. The video was extremely choppy (really a sequence of stills) with intermittent audio (mostly none).

I'm sure that our throttled upstream (384kbps) is the culprit, but before I upgrade it...what is a realistic requirement to view SD video?
Old 11-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Sage Icon

what were the original programs recorded on? When i started using placeshifter (HD100 from my gf's) the programs recorded on my HDHR's were transcoded perfectly while my HDPVR recordings were unwatchable (massive av sync problems and stuttering). Support advised me to set the following property item in sage.properties. Once i set the property everything was perfect. I also have a bigger up connection then you but sage should throttle the video to be in your connection bandwidth.

Code:
xcode_fix_broken_hdpvr_streams=true
Check out TVExplorer
Old 11-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Sage User

I was trying to watch a live stream from my HDHomeRun...It was using OTA signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharpe View Post
what were the original programs recorded on? When i started using placeshifter (HD100 from my gf's) the programs recorded on my HDHR's were transcoded perfectly while my HDPVR recordings were unwatchable (massive av sync problems and stuttering). Support advised me to set the following property item in sage.properties. Once i set the property everything was perfect. I also have a bigger up connection then you but sage should throttle the video to be in your connection bandwidth.

Code:
xcode_fix_broken_hdpvr_streams=true
Old 11-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I was trying to watch a live stream from my HDHomeRun...It was using OTA signals.
mmmm... i dont watch any live tv... what happens if you watch something thats already been recorded (or delayed)?
Check out TVExplorer
Old 11-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharpe View Post
mmmm... i dont watch any live tv... what happens if you watch something thats already been recorded (or delayed)?

I'll try recording something tonight...and watching tomorrow. I really thought that the uplink speed would be the limfac
Old 11-16-2010, 06:19 AM
SageTVaholic

What about your server specs? Sage has to transcode your videos on the fly because (with the exception of a few people here), most of us do not have upload speeds at our house fast enough to handle even SD of full MPEG2. So Sage has to transcode the video down to a lower quality in order to push it out to the 'net.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 11-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Sage User

I think you nailed it on this one. I logged in remotely shut down all unnecessary processes and saw that the transcoder was still using 93%of the CPU & the processor was at 100%. It has a 2.8GHz P4 with 1.5MB RAM...apparently not enough horsepower to do this.

I'll have to break down and get another computer to separate the automation from the video server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
What about your server specs? Sage has to transcode your videos on the fly because (with the exception of a few people here), most of us do not have upload speeds at our house fast enough to handle even SD of full MPEG2. So Sage has to transcode the video down to a lower quality in order to push it out to the 'net.