SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Batch Metadata Tools
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Batch Metadata Tools This forums is for discussing the user-created Batch Metadata Tools for SageTV.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

Can't Retrieve episode description

For some reason BMT will not retrieve the episode name or description of a number of Modern Family episodes I have. It identifies the episode and season numbers correct, but when it searches nothing comes back.

I have "preserve original metadata" unchecked. I have deleted the properties and xml files repeatedly with restarts. none of it seems to matter.

Any ideas how to better troubleshoot this? Its funny because it worked for the first four episodes, but then failed on the rest.

Thanks in advance!
DEFAULT STV
Comskip triggered by DirMON2 --- HD100 / HD200 /HD300
BMI fanart
Old 06-02-2011, 10:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckwell View Post
For some reason BMT will not retrieve the episode name or description of a number of Modern Family episodes I have. It identifies the episode and season numbers correct, but when it searches nothing comes back.

I have "preserve original metadata" unchecked. I have deleted the properties and xml files repeatedly with restarts. none of it seems to matter.

Any ideas how to better troubleshoot this? Its funny because it worked for the first four episodes, but then failed on the rest.

Thanks in advance!
I record modern family as well... I haven't noticed an issue yet.

There could be a couple of different things going on.
1. TVDB may not have the updated episode information at the time that you decide to do the lookup. ie, typically bmt fetches metadata after a recording, so if no one has added the episode information, then it will fail.
2. It may be that TVDB is overloaded and your requests simply timeout. BMT will retry a couple of time, but not forever.

You can check the logs/phoenix-metadata.log (search for your show's filename) or the logs/phoenix.log (and search for your filename).

Without the logs I can't really tell what's going on.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Sage Aficionado

The files in question are rips from a DVD and are in .avi format. BMT populates the season and episode numbers, but doesn't find anything when it looks it up. I will try to look at the logs and see what I can see.
DEFAULT STV
BMI fanart
Old 06-02-2011, 12:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The files in question are rips from a DVD and are in .avi format. BMT populates the season and episode numbers, but doesn't find anything when it looks it up. I will try to look at the logs and see what I can see.
Perhaps you can post the filenames... and I can see if I find anything odd about them.

Also, does it fail when you do a manual lookup in bmt web ui?
Old 06-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

It does not matter if I run a manul lookup... here are the file names:

Modern.Family.S01E01.avi
Modern.Family.S01E02.avi
Modern.Family.S01E03.avi
Modern.Family.S01E04.avi
Modern.Family.S01E05.avi
Modern.Family.S01E06.avi

etc.

It finds E01 - E04 and shows a description. E05 and above it leaves the file name as the episode name. Perhaps the descriptions are already in the WIZ.bin? and its not actually finding anything?
DEFAULT STV
BMI fanart
Old 06-02-2011, 05:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It does not matter if I run a manul lookup... here are the file names:

Modern.Family.S01E01.avi
Modern.Family.S01E02.avi
Modern.Family.S01E03.avi
Modern.Family.S01E04.avi
Modern.Family.S01E05.avi
Modern.Family.S01E06.avi

etc.

It finds E01 - E04 and shows a description. E05 and above it leaves the file name as the episode name. Perhaps the descriptions are already in the WIZ.bin? and its not actually finding anything?

I just tried all of those and they worked. When you try modern episode 5 from the web ui, find metadata, discover defaults, and then make sure it says TV and thetvdb.com as the provider.

Also maybe delete your cache (userdata/Phoenix/cache/url/ directory) and then try again. The cached files should auto-expire, but maybe yours is still old and it's not updating.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

When I got home last night i decided to try it through the GUI using JREkiwi's CMT (Complimentary metadata tool) and if I did them one at a time they worked!!! if I tried to do the whole folder it didn't... I never got a chance to mess with the cache, although isn't that for images only?

Thanks for your help.
DEFAULT STV
BMI fanart
Old 06-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
When I got home last night i decided to try it through the GUI using JREkiwi's CMT (Complimentary metadata tool) and if I did them one at a time they worked!!! if I tried to do the whole folder it didn't...
Sometimes it can appear that it's not working when selecting a whole folder as the folder view needs to be refreshed for it to display the new metadata and fetching the metadata does take a variable amount of time. Fetching a single show does a folder view refresh as part of the process.

John
Old 06-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREkiwi View Post
Sometimes it can appear that it's not working when selecting a whole folder as the folder view needs to be refreshed for it to display the new metadata and fetching the metadata does take a variable amount of time. Fetching a single show does a folder view refresh as part of the process.

John
I can attest to that! I've gotten into lot's of trouble thinking that my batch changes were not happening. If I really need to know whether something committed properly, which it usually does, I completely exit the browser and relaunch the webgui and check for my changes.