SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Exclamation HD-200: Playback exception error on all media until unplugged from power

My sageTV HD200 works great as a sageTV client; but once a week or so it gets into a condition where ANY media that's played; including TV streaming, produces a playback exception error. The only way to fix this is to unplug the device from power and replug it. I've had this problem as long as I've owned the device. Other clients are not affected; and, does not get fixed if I restart the server. Even when I press power button on the extender remote control (when there's a single green light) and turn it back on, it still doesn't fix the problem.

My friend who has an HD200 as well on a completely different sageTV setup has all the same symptoms. We have both tried various firmware; and sent several debug logs to sageTV support; but keep getting the run-around.

These symtoms sounds too specific for it to be a freak coincidence on two different HD200 for two different people. I'm curious if this is by design or typical behavior. I'm no electronics genius, but, every time I've seen similar behavior on different electronics (where unpluging a device from power is necessary) it was because of the hardware malfunctioning; requiring a replacement of the unit. Maybe someone has heard of this problem? I would like to get to the bottom of this problem; especially since this is my own extender.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 06-27-2011, 07:45 AM
Sage Expert

I see this problem very occasionally, normally after trying (and failing) to play a corrupted video file. I tend to delete them to weed them out

I don't necessarily agree this is HW though, all the power button on the remote does is stop/start the miniclient, it does nothing to the underlying OS. You may want to try connecting via telnet to the HD200 and issuing a reboot to see if that clears it - if it does it could be the device driver for one of the onboard chips being wedged or something.
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 06-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

Got that issue once last month for the first time. Fingers crossed it does not happen again ....
Server : Asus M4A79XTD Evo / AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2GHz / 4Gb RAM / Win 10 64-bit / Cinergy 2400iDT (French Freeview - TNT) / 2 * Hauppauge NOVA-HD-S2 (UK Sky) / TT CT-3650 CI / HDD : 4.5 To / Sage V7 / XMLTV Importer / EPG from WebGrabPlus+/ LM DVB Recorder for all tuners / 2 Clients : STP-HD300
Old 06-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Happens to me mostly when I play shady downloaded wmv files, very rarely though, I'd say less than 5 times total on all 3 of my hd200s. Seems consistent throughout different firmwares and 'build' times of the hd200, hasn't happened yet on my hd300.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:59 PM
SageTVaholic

I think brewston is right. It seems that playing files the HD200 cant playback can trigger this problem. Such as, when I try playing an old MOV file (which is playable using a Mac, Quicktime, or a Quicktime directshow decoder); but isn't playable by my HD200.

What puzzles me is this sounds like a reproducible problem on HD200s. How come nobody has mentioned this before? When me and my friend have submitted bug reports to SageTV Support, we both got responses that suggested they have never heard of this problem before. I find that very hard to believe. I guess we're way past getting this fixed in the firmware anyway.

How would you guys suggest the most "wife-friendly" way to recover from this or avoid it? I don't see how I can prevent corrupted or unplayable files from being available to the HD200 media player. If there's no way to prevent this from happening, maybe there's a clever way to issue a reboot. I use a Universal remote control "WR7". Wayneb, or anyone, can you please recmmend a device that can powercycle the HD200 using my WR7 IR based remote control? If my remote control had X10 capability, I could do it; but, unfortunately I dont. Maybe I have to switch remote controls?

***RIP SageTV***
Old 06-28-2011, 02:18 AM
Sage Expert

I've never tried this, but if you run SageMC, you could maybe create a menu option to run an external command which is a batch file to telnet into the HD200 and issue a reboot

Or, maybe you could create an icon on your Wife's laptop to do the same
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 06-28-2011, 04:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Ive had this issue on both HD100 and HD300.

Im fairly certain it occurs when the file being played is not a clean stream.

Many of my recording have dropouts etc on them as I live in a low signal area. Most of these play fine other than the pictre breaking up occiasionally. But sometimes Ill get a file that gives a playback error that only a power off of the extender wil fix or the extender will simply stop playing and eventually power off (I think it actually crashes). Playing back the same file gives the same problem at the same place. However running the file through Video-redo with no edits seems to fix the problem.

Either my signal has improved, or the Betas for the HD300 seem to have improved things.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:37 AM
Sage Icon

I've been seeing it more and more on my hd200 too. I started a thread in the Phoenix forum a couple of weeks ago since I thought maybe it had to do with Phoenix but wasn't sure. It only seems to be with dvd's in video_ts format but it seems to be consistent on my system.

I'd be interested to know if any of you do what I outlined in the following thread get the same results:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56043
Old 06-28-2011, 11:34 AM
SageTVaholic

I read what you put on the link, but I dont see anywhere except in the title about playback exception error. In the forum post, you just describe that the extender locks up while showing the screensaver. The extenders reported here don't lock up. We can still navigate through the extender's STV menus and option; just not playback video; producing a playback exception error if trying to playback any kind of media; including TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrems View Post
I've been seeing it more and more on my hd200 too. I started a thread in the Phoenix forum a couple of weeks ago since I thought maybe it had to do with Phoenix but wasn't sure. It only seems to be with dvd's in video_ts format but it seems to be consistent on my system.

I'd be interested to know if any of you do what I outlined in the following thread get the same results:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56043

***RIP SageTV***
Old 06-29-2011, 01:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Hi Brewston, I've used to use sageMC to execute batch files. But now, I use the default STV. My wife doesnt have her laptop open each time she watches TV.

I installed the External Apps plugin for sageTV 7 and have it pointed to the telnet scripting tool on the server to reboot the extender. It now reboots the extender from the sageTV menu. Thanks for the idea! We'll see if that does the trick when the error comes up again.

-MKANET

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewston View Post
I've never tried this, but if you run SageMC, you could maybe create a menu option to run an external command which is a batch file to telnet into the HD200 and issue a reboot

Or, maybe you could create an icon on your Wife's laptop to do the same

***RIP SageTV***
Old 07-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

i have the same issue, not normally when playing regular dvd "TS" folder but mkv's and blue rays... seems to happen when i pause or ff or something..

i have the same issue but only seems to be when playing mkv or full blue rays. more so if I pause, or ff or something. plain ole sagetv 7
Old 07-19-2011, 06:04 AM
SageTVaholic

I fixed this issue by deleteing the client.properties file for the HD200 and the backup file and powering up the HD200 and quickly setting it back up. Took all of a couple of minutes. Haven't had that issue again and it's been about 5 days.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
[...] I installed the External Apps plugin for sageTV 7 and have it pointed to the telnet scripting tool on the server to reboot the extender. [...]
Mkanet -
What telnet scripting tool are you referring to? Where can one find this tool?

Thanks,
Peter
Old 08-06-2011, 02:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Hi Peter, I use the free tool called: Telnet Scripting Tool 1.0

Attached, is a sample batch file with respective telnet script to reboot an HD200.

BTW: It seems like this problem only happens on the HD200. I haven't seen it since I upgraded to an HD300. It seems the HD200 isn't near as resilient as the HD300 for handling unrecognized file formats.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SageTV Reboot Extender.zip (398 Bytes, 164 views)

***RIP SageTV***
Old 08-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Sage User

This happens to me when playing R5000 TS streams that are, I assume, corrupt, invalid, or otherwise incorrect at that point in time. Power cycling is the only fix. Occassionally I have to power cycle the server too to get the playback exception -1 error to stop.

Both my HD300 and HD200 devices have done this since I first purchased them, and I've tried numerous firmware on each to no avail.

It's extremely annoying, and the device should be capable of soft-resetting or doing SOMETHING to recover from the error rather than acting like a brick.

It's one of the few things that reduces the WAF of SageTV.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:44 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdessart View Post
What telnet scripting tool are you referring to? Where can one find this tool?

Thanks,
Peter
Or you could use this: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35464

p.s. It also works on HD300s...
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls