SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Sage Icon

Is selling/transferring licenses ok?

It has been brought to my attention that selling/transferring licenses (i.e. server & client software) may not be ok/legal? I originally bought them from PCAlchemy and don't see any indication that they are not transferrable but what is the official word on this? Thanks.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Sage Icon

Just in case you didn't see this post, here is a post from Narflex regarding the topic,

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...&postcount=778

I don't think that anyone has addressed the transfer of Sagetv purchases from outside the Sagetv store (i.e. PCAlchemy etc...), and I could be wrong, but I would think that the EULA is in effect regardless of where you bought it as it is still licensed for use from Sagetv not the third party seller...

J
Old 06-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Sage Icon

Have you read the Eula in the Sage directory? non-transferable

1. License Grant. SageTV hereby grants Licensee a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable license to make one copy of the SageTV™ software, and any fixes, releases, updates, modifications or additions (collectively, the "Software") provided to Licensee by SageTV, for Licensee’s personal use, performance and display on Licensee’s home personal computer under the terms and conditions of this Agreement. The Software is in "use" on a computer when it is loaded into temporary memory (i.e. RAM) or installed into permanent memory (e.g., hard disk, CD-ROM, or other storage device) of that computer. The Software may be used on a single personal computer only and may only be networked or used on a server for access by multiple computers if those individual computers have a licensed version of the SageTV Client™ or SageTV Recorder™ installed. SageTV also grants Licensee a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable revocable license to use all media and documentation related to the Software at home, for non-commercial purposes. "Product" in this Agreement means the Software and all media and documentation related to the Software.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Sage Icon

Ok, thanks.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorton View Post
Just in case you didn't see this post, here is a post from Narflex regarding the topic,

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...&postcount=778

I don't think that anyone has addressed the transfer of Sagetv purchases from outside the Sagetv store (i.e. PCAlchemy etc...), and I could be wrong, but I would think that the EULA is in effect regardless of where you bought it as it is still licensed for use from Sagetv not the third party seller...

J
The same apply to any 3rdparty store purchases
Your licensed are tired to you when you frist purchases it
Name: {Input Name} [You can't used any old fake names here]
Key: {Input Key}
And can back trace when it was frist purchases it even the one from PCAlchemy.
Only SageTV hardware can be re-sold becuase it a Physical Product.
Take note: something about SageTV STX-HD100 Extender you can sell the hardware it self but not the license key becuase that was Digital Delivery by email so there it can be trace back you unlike HD200 and HD300 which has that inbeded in to the firmware.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Take note: something about SageTV STX-HD100 Extender you can sell the hardware it self but not the license key becuase that was Digital Delivery by email so there it can be trace back you unlike HD200 and HD300 which has that inbeded in to the firmware.
Thanks for confirmation SHS.

J
Old 06-30-2011, 12:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

"and may only be networked or used on a server for access by multiple computers if those individual computers have a licensed version of the SageTV Client™ or SageTV Recorder™ installed. "

This statement in the EULA seems pretty explicit that accessing SageTV server via the webserver plugin from a computer that does not have Client or Recorder license is verboten.

I'm at work so i don't have access to the EULA to see if there is any other clauses that allows that type of access. And now that I think about it, was the EULA posted for general consumption such that it could be reviewed prior to purchasing the SW? I looked on the site but only the forums are up so....
Old 06-30-2011, 02:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pez View Post
And now that I think about it, was the EULA posted for general consumption such that it could be reviewed prior to purchasing the SW?
The software runs for 21 days in trial mode without a license. So there's plenty of time to review the EULA before making a purchase.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
The software runs for 21 days in trial mode without a license. So there's plenty of time to review the EULA before making a purchase.
Outside of blatant copyright infringement, many restrictions outlined EULAs generally don't hold up in court. Kinda like when a landlord writes something like "hanging pictures on the walls is strictly prohibited" into a lease, then tries, and fails, to evict a tenant for "violating" that portion of it.

That said, Saogle is perfectly within their rights to not allow discussion of such things on their forums.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbone View Post
Saogle
I like it, but how is it pronounced?
Old 06-30-2011, 08:51 PM
Sage User

Quote:
So does this mean that the people who are desperate enough to buy a "used" license in spite of the EULA are hosed and it won't work? (NOTE TO MODS: I'm not one of them, although I'll admit I had considered it, so please don't ban me for asking this) I understand that your point is it's still against the EULA regardless of where it was purchased, I'm just trying to understand how it is applied practically. Specifically:
Quote:
I guess I'm confused what a "fake name" is. Does this mean that if someone bought "John Smith's" entire setup (server license, client licenses, etc) and installed it using the name "John Smith," it still wouldn't install and work properly?
Old 07-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Sage User

Per Federal Court rulings.
Yes you can. Here is a news link about the courts ruling.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/200...16171201.shtml
Old 07-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

I think what they are saying is the license key and the name are tied together. The key will not work without the name of the person it was licensed to and the name has to be input exactly the same as is in the email. Different name from what was used to create the key won't work. Different key and correct name won't work.

The clear intention is that nobody but the person who paid SageTV for the license may use the key. You can't legally sell, buy, transfer or use somebody else's license. (You pay SageTV for licensed use under specific terms. It was not sold and does not become yours to do with as you please) I'm sure it would hold up in court.

Last edited by photon; 07-01-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparker View Post
Per Federal Court rulings.
Yes you can. Here is a news link about the courts ruling.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/200...16171201.shtml
That just clears the way for the case to be tried in court. Autodesk was trying to get it dismissed so now it goes to court. No decision has been made.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Actually, I think the 9th circuit did decide on that case:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...e-licenses.ars

And, as much as it pains me to say, they seemed to decide very much against resale. If I remember correctly, the 9th circuit covers the entire state of California, so this would set a precedent for SageTV software.

And it's not quite that it's illegal to resell software, it's a breach of contract, I think. So Google could, in principal, sue for damages, but that's probably all.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbone View Post
Saogle
I like it, but how is it pronounced?
/skrood/

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-03-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingShawn View Post
So does this mean that the people who are desperate enough to buy a "used" license in spite of the EULA are hosed and it won't work? (NOTE TO MODS: I'm not one of them, although I'll admit I had considered it, so please don't ban me for asking this) I understand that your point is it's still against the EULA regardless of where it was purchased, I'm just trying to understand how it is applied practically. Specifically:

I guess I'm confused what a "fake name" is. Does this mean that if someone bought "John Smith's" entire setup (server license, client licenses, etc) and installed it using the name "John Smith," it still wouldn't install and work properly?
When Sue Fisher purchased the software she has enter her License Key that was email to her from SageTV in order get it out of demo mode
For Example
Name: Sue Fisher
Key: 1111-1111-1111-1111-1111
Now Sue turn round an sell the License Key to John Smith
Now John Smith try enter it in like
Name: John Smith [You can't used any old fake names here]
Key: 1111-1111-1111-1111-1111
The Key tried the Sue Fisher under License Key Name when frist purchased and can't be change
That how you get caugh there are a few that are try sell there key on ebay I monitor it on ebay and I'm sure jeff dose to.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That how you get caugh there are a few that are try sell there key on ebay I monitor it on ebay and I'm sure jeff dose to.
Why would Jeff even bother? Most companies don't particularly care if individuals are selling individual licenses, even if the software is still being sold. It's generally only when someone does it on a large scale that anyone cares.

It would be hard for Google to show substantial damages from violating the non-transfer clause of the EULA. And, unlike trademark law, you don't need to go after violators to keep the EULA enforceable.

Selling sage licenses certainly violates a binding contract, but it's also almost certainly not going to get you into any real trouble. Maybe Google would try to get your eBay account locked, but I highly doubt they would even go that far.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

You paid money for it and if someone wants to buy it off of you and they are willing to use your name as a part of the serial #, that is up to them with the understanding that support would not exist, not that it will exist much longer either way.

Last edited by simonen; 07-04-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Sage Icon

Well, the threat was enough to make me remove the licenses from my listing. I doubt they would try to sue me but I don't want any kind of trouble with Sage/Google. It doesn't make a lot of sense, though, since I have licenses that other people could use and can't purchase otherwise...