SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-17-2011, 10:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Jeff may not be stringing us along. He may come up with the greatest thing ever but it may not fit into Google's strategy and if that is the case it may never see the light of day. Jeff could create the best product ever and it could end up like the Ark of the Covenant in the last scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Jeff may not be stringing us along. He may come up with the greatest thing ever but it may not fit into Google's strategy and if that is the case it may never see the light of day. Jeff could create the best product ever and it could end up like the Ark of the Covenant in the last scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
That's the worry. He may be excited as can be, but that doesn't mean we'll ever see anything come of it. What may be happening is Google is stringing him along. I don't see him staying with them long if they kill his project. I sure wouldn't.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Jeff could create the best product ever and it could end up like the Ark of the Covenant in the last scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
So long as it doesn't shoot out energy rays that melt people's faces off, that would probably be a deal breaker...
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 12-17-2011, 02:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
So long as it doesn't shoot out energy rays that melt people's faces off, that would probably be a deal breaker...
It won't do that unless you're evil. Or if you don't look at it...I can't remember which.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
...What may be happening is Google is stringing him along. I don't see him staying with them long if they kill his project. I sure wouldn't.
he may not have a choice. often times when your company is bought by a larger one, especially when there is some type of intellectual property, is that you (the execs) are contractually obligated to the purchasing company for XX months/years or else you lose large portions of the purchase price.
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom
Old 12-21-2011, 12:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandor View Post
he may not have a choice. often times when your company is bought by a larger one, especially when there is some type of intellectual property, is that you (the execs) are contractually obligated to the purchasing company for XX months/years or else you lose large portions of the purchase price.
When I worked on acquisitions and we wanted the execs or key people to stay we did something very different. We learned that if they stayed because they had golden handcuffs they were often ineffective (or even destructive) so we dangled a carrot to leave. We'd pick a day 6 months or so after the acquisition and tell them if they left on that day (and that day only) they would get $x. If they took it we knew they were in it for the money so we were happy they left. If they stayed on we knew they were in for the long haul. The trick was to set $x not so high as to be too much to resist, but high enough to be tempting. This strategy was a lot cheaper than having to deal with an alienated, demotivated key employee.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:11 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
When I worked on acquisitions and we wanted the execs or key people to stay we did something very different. We learned that if they stayed because they had golden handcuffs they were often ineffective (or even destructive) so we dangled a carrot to leave. We'd pick a day 6 months or so after the acquisition and tell them if they left on that day (and that day only) they would get $x. If they took it we knew they were in it for the money so we were happy they left. If they stayed on we knew they were in for the long haul. The trick was to set $x not so high as to be too much to resist, but high enough to be tempting. This strategy was a lot cheaper than having to deal with an alienated, demotivated key employee.
wow... that sounds like a very unreliable way of trying to keep key people...
Old 12-31-2011, 11:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdom View Post
wow... that sounds like a very unreliable way of trying to keep key people...
The company's DNA was extremely "aggressive". I no longer work there but it was a great place for a young manager to get training under fire.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

Had an extender die on me, plus I need a client license badly. I wish they would address this already
Old 02-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by electron View Post
Had an extender die on me, plus I need a client license badly. I wish they would address this already
Maybe you could install the trial, and image back to a pre-install image every 21 days until you either find another solution, or the issue is actually addressed. You might have to keep trying the client for years at the rate it seems to be going...

Dave