SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Considering upgrade to v7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Considering they gave a free v7 upgrade to everyone running v5 or v6, I don't think they can be expected to update the old code... I realize they did it before a couple months ago, but that was very shortly after the v7 free upgrade. Now, everyone should have had a chance to upgrade...
That's why I'm asking what the status is. If they aren't planning on upgrading the V6 code any more, I have to sit down with the family and ask them if they would rather I:

1. Chance upgrading to v7 and possibly messing up the 27 days worth of shows we have recorded.

2. Stay with the old interface and deal with not having weather (or possibly access to online videos).

3. Keep our existing gear using it as standalone only players and getting a new technology to record anything else going forward.

4. Jump ship and sell off all my sage gear.

Before I present choices to my family (so everyone can make an informed decision), I would like to know where product updates stand for v6.

I'm not making any demands, I just want to know v6 updates stand. I have a rather significant amount of money invested in the Sage product and my family is very happy with it.

If the v7 interface is mostly identical to the v6 interface (and I won't lose associations for the hundreds of shows we have recorded), I would probably upgrade to v7. It is a shame though, I've been running v6 for several years now and I really don't want to fix "what ain't broke".
Old 11-21-2011, 02:44 PM
SageTVaholic

The upgrade to v7 will take you about 20 minutes.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezolution View Post
1. Chance upgrading to v7 and possibly messing up the 27 days worth of shows we have recorded.
Before you do anything, backup your sage install.....
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43497

Once you go to V7, you'll never look back.

Larry
Old 11-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Just got an HDHomeRun prime and needed to upgrade my WHSv1 box to v7 for support. Was planning on moving to a brand new vitual server, but I haven't quite worked out all the kinks yet and I want to return my old STB to comcast before they bill me for both the STB and the new cablecard this month.

I just made a backup of my entire sagetv directory (overkill I'm sure) and then ran the v7.1.9 WHS install MSI. The conversion went great and I didn't lose any recordings during the process. Added the new cablecard tuners (after installing SageDCT and getting it activated) and now have all HD recording. My wife is still getting used to it, but getting the weather options back was a big factor for her (and for me, so she would quit asking me to look up tomorrow's weather on my phone).

I can say that I've upgraded Sage through the versions since v4 days and never lost any recording information. I know v7 brought a lot of changes to the way recording metadata is handled, but all my 200+ recordings got updated in the new database without any issues during the conversion (comskip, episode information, etc.).
Old 11-23-2011, 08:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryf View Post

Once you go to V7, you'll never look back.

Larry
Does it look and feel the same as v6 or are there a lot of subtle differences?
Old 11-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

Client/Placeshifter licenses

One last question before I upgrade (and yes I've read about 20 pages of stuff about this and still can't figure out the answer to my question).

I have V6, (4) HD200s, (1) HD300, (1) placeshifter license, (1) client license.

I understand that changing the exe is going to allow V7 to run off of my V6 license. I also know that the HD200s and HD300 will be fine with V7.

What happens to my V6 placeshifter and client licenses? Do I just update my PCs with the new placeshifterV7 and clientV7 and the v6 placeshifter/client licenses will work as v7?
Old 11-23-2011, 09:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
One last question before I upgrade (and yes I've read about 20 pages of stuff about this and still can't figure out the answer to my question).

I have V6, (4) HD200s, (1) HD300, (1) placeshifter license, (1) client license.

I understand that changing the exe is going to allow V7 to run off of my V6 license. I also know that the HD200s and HD300 will be fine with V7.

What happens to my V6 placeshifter and client licenses? Do I just update my PCs with the new placeshifterV7 and clientV7 and the v6 placeshifter/client licenses will work as v7?
yes

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Having just gone through this on WHS here is what I did...

On the server, after installing the update I shut down the SageTV service, replaced the sage.exe file then restarted the service. Then I entered my v6 upgrade key and it successfully installed. Next I entered my v6 placeshifter licenses on the server, and they were accepted.

On a client box I installed the new version, updated the sageclient.exe file, then entered my old v6 client license and it was accepted.

Everything was good to go after that.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscapesg1 View Post
Having just gone through this on WHS here is what I did...

On the server, after installing the update I shut down the SageTV service, replaced the sage.exe file then restarted the service. Then I entered my v6 upgrade key and it successfully installed. Next I entered my v6 placeshifter licenses on the server, and they were accepted.

On a client box I installed the new version, updated the sageclient.exe file, then entered my old v6 client license and it was accepted.

Everything was good to go after that.
What do you mean, "updated sageclient.exe"? I thought you just install the latest version of the client and it gets it's information from the main program running on your serverr (where you update sage to accept v6 serials)?

Where did you get an updated sageclient.exe from?
Old 11-23-2011, 04:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
What do you mean, "updated sageclient.exe"? I thought you just install the latest version of the client and it gets it's information from the main program running on your serverr (where you update sage to accept v6 serials)?

Where did you get an updated sageclient.exe from?
You have to install the same version client on your client but that is all you have to do is install. You shouldn't have to enter any licenses. The only reason for that is if you also install the OS. The install files for V7.1.9 are here.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

well, it's 2am and I still can't get my silicondust hdhomerun tuners to work after the upgrade...

went from 6.6 to 7.1.9, wont tune anything with my hdhomerun any more...

Last edited by Rezolution; 11-24-2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

I also just noticed that the weather plugin only seems to be working if you use the new user interface. If you try to go back to the v6 xml interface (while running 7.1.9), the weather portion goes back to being broken.

Still can't get the hdhomeruns working.

So far, my update to 7.x has been all sorts of epic fail...
Old 11-24-2011, 03:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, this really isn't going well at all. I even tried rolling back to my older versions and nothing will bring the hdhomerun back online to a usable state...
Old 11-24-2011, 10:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Does it scan from the HDHR software? are you using ATSC or QAM?

Old 11-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, hdhomerun scans with it's own software on the server. It will also scan remotely from my laptop. I can watch tv on the hdhomerun software on both the server and my laptop.

It is QAM (digital cable).

It seems to be just sage that is having the problem interacting with hdhomerun.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

This is the longest my sage has been down in 3 years. We already missed a thanksgiving day parade and everyone is pretty mad at me right now...
Old 11-24-2011, 11:11 AM
SageTVaholic

It sounds like sage isn't picking up the .scn files from the hdhomerun software. You can probably delete them from the sagetv folder, rerun the hdhr setup, and then they can be picked up again. I, though, don't use QAM, so I'm not sure on that. ATSC is so much simpler, as it is done completely from within sage.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

Man, all I can say is thank God for Norton Ghost.

I "backed up" my sage folder before I did the upgrade. When I copied the folder back after the failed upgrade, my original sage install no longer worked.

HOWEVER, I back up my system 3 times a week with Norton Ghost. I did a repair of the SageTV folder from Monday and I'm back in business.

I have no idea why just doing a pure copy of the folder didn't work (unless it's a permissions issue. I run Sage in program mode, not service mode.

Regardless, I'm just happy to be back in business!

No version 7 for me... back to working v6!
Old 11-24-2011, 11:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Are you by chance using vista or win7 with UAC enabled? Sage 6 didn't properly handle UAC, so a lot of the settings got stored in the virtualstore. This may be why they didn't get backed up properly.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm running Windows XP on the server.

I'm considering taking a look at the xml file for the menu and seeing if it's possible to point it to somewhere other than weather.com to get the weather data (and not touching my 6.x install).

Today was nearly a catastrophic international incident at my house LoL.