SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-24-2011, 07:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezolution View Post
I'm considering taking a look at the xml file for the menu and seeing if it's possible to point it to somewhere other than weather.com to get the weather data (and not touching my 6.x install).
If it were as simple as just changing a URL, Andy would have done it already. The problem is that the Weather.com API has been discontinued. There was only one provider for that API; now there are none. The V7 STV has been rewritten to use the Google weather API instead (which uses a different protocol and data format); it would take a similar rewrite to fix the V6 STV. That's something an experienced plugin dev could do with several hours of work, but it's not something a newbie could do by search-and-replace.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:04 PM
SageTVaholic

What I do for an upgrade of versions (like 6 to 7 of SageTV) I copy my folder somewhere. Then uninstall and delete the SageTV folder. Then install the new version and redo my setups including HDHomerun's (QAM). NOTE I always run the HDHomerun setup with SageTV shutdown as I've had the problems you describe when SageTV is running. Then I setup the HDHomerun's inside SageTV. Once I have all folders (recording and imported) setup correctly and all tuners and channel changers tested I will then shut down SageTV once more and copy back the wiz.bin. When I went from 7.0.23 to 7.1.9 I just installed SageTV over the top of the old directory and was working in minutes.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
If it were as simple as just changing a URL, Andy would have done it already. The problem is that the Weather.com API has been discontinued. There was only one provider for that API; now there are none. The V7 STV has been rewritten to use the Google weather API instead (which uses a different protocol and data format); it would take a similar rewrite to fix the V6 STV. That's something an experienced plugin dev could do with several hours of work, but it's not something a newbie could do by search-and-replace.
How many experienced plugin developers are there that could do this? How many of them frequent this forum?
Old 11-25-2011, 12:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

I would think there might be a benefit to someone updating the SageTV3 STV file since there have to be some users that have migrated to V7 but don't like the new interface (and continue to use the old SageTV3.xml interface).

Then technically, they wouldn't be updating code for version 6.x users, just updating code for those that continue to enjoy the SageTV3.xml interface some of us have come to enjoy so much.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
\it's not something a newbie could do by search-and-replace.
I signed up to these forums two months after you did, back in 2006.

I was looking for some work-a-rounds since I'm getting the feeling that 6.x may never be updated (and learning to write a plugin for Sage would probably consume all of my spare time for a few months).

There was a plugin someone wrote for Google Calendar to show up in the V6 menu via an STVI. Google Calendar has an option to show weather forecasts inside your Calendar.

It looks like the plugin for Google Calendar is very old though and the Weather forecasts might not work in it anyway...
Old 11-25-2011, 07:20 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezolution View Post
There was a plugin someone wrote for Google Calendar to show up in the V6 menu via an STVI. Google Calendar has an option to show weather forecasts inside your Calendar.

It looks like the plugin for Google Calendar is very old though and the Weather forecasts might not work in it anyway...
I doubt that the calendar will import the weather from gcalendar. I import my calendar into my email client and that works really well, but it doesn't pull the weather tags. As far as I know, the weather is only displayed in the google online calendar.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:59 AM
SageTVaholic

As andy had mentioned elsewhere, the google weather JAR can be used by any UI. It's just a matter of pointing the UI to the proper calls in the JAR. However, I'm not aware of any devs doing anything with SageTV3 anymore. The main reason for this is half the improvements in v7 were geared towards the plugin devs. (the plugin system, most specifically). I'm certain the only devs that still frequent the forums are either using SageTV7, Ortus, or Phoenix...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
As andy had mentioned elsewhere, the google weather JAR can be used by any UI. It's just a matter of pointing the UI to the proper calls in the JAR. However, I'm not aware of any devs doing anything with SageTV3 anymore. The main reason for this is half the improvements in v7 were geared towards the plugin devs. (the plugin system, most specifically). I'm certain the only devs that still frequent the forums are either using SageTV7, Ortus, or Phoenix...
So if I put the Google Weather Jar plugin into my plugin folder, then I just have to figure out how to import the Google Weather portion of the STV-7 XML file into the STV-3 XML file?
Old 11-29-2011, 07:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Actually, i think you'd need to put the jar in the SageTV/JARs folder. And it's not likely to work as just moving from the v7 stv over to the v6 one, you'd probably have to go through the v6 weather screens and manipulate the data sources to point to the Jar's function calls.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Sage User

Send a message via Yahoo to bbroerman
Upgrade

Since the acquisition of SageTV by Google, is there any way to get licenses for the 7.x versions of the software? I would like to upgrade...
Old 11-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbroerman View Post
Since the acquisition of SageTV by Google, is there any way to get licenses for the 7.x versions of the software? I would like to upgrade...
No, can not get any licenses.

BUT if you have a valid V5 or V6 license, you can install the V7.1.9 software and replace a couple exe files and it will accept the V5/V6 license for V7.1.9 usage.

More details here http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56225