SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-02-2013, 06:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Moving files and Metadata

I am having to split up my video library folders as I am running out of space. Therefore I am moving my movies folder from:

\\server\Videos\Movies to
\\server\Movies which will be on a different hard drive

The filenames will remain the same. What happens to all of the metadata that I have fixed in these movies, and/or just correcting filenames so that they match to the correct metadata? Will Sage retain the existing metadata or will I be starting from scratch? If it is the latter should I create .properties files before making this move?

Note that I do have BMT installed.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I am having to split up my video library folders as I am running out of space. Therefore I am moving my movies folder from:

\\server\Videos\Movies to
\\server\Movies which will be on a different hard drive

The filenames will remain the same. What happens to all of the metadata that I have fixed in these movies, and/or just correcting filenames so that they match to the correct metadata? Will Sage retain the existing metadata or will I be starting from scratch? If it is the latter should I create .properties files before making this move?

Note that I do have BMT installed.
Add the new folder \\server\Movies to SageTV... then shutdown SageTV. Move your movies to the new folder and any other type of files that are there. Start up Sagetv it might take a while for it to fully start as it needs to update the Wiz.bin with the new file locations. All metadata should be ok. The only thing you will notice is that they will all be unwatched.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Sage Icon

If you have .properties files, then SageTV will read the metadata from them.

So for recordings without .properties files the only metadata loaded will be what was stored in the file when it was recorded, then BMT will fetch any additional metadata.

For imported videos, BMT will fetch the metadata, but you will lose any changes you have made to the metadata.

I've always found the best way to ensure that metadata doesn't get "lost" is to use .properties files. Keeping a backup of your metadata is what their whole purpose.

John
Old 02-02-2013, 07:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks John, what is the easiest way to turn on creation of .properties files or to create them for specific folders?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Sage Icon

Install the Complementary Metadata (CMT) plugin
Detailed Setup / Customize / Metadata Options / Automatic Create and Delete Options
Set the top two Create options to Yes (I need to fix the text for Imported Videos)

Detailed Setup / Customize / Metadata Options / Metadata File Types
Set Make .properties Files to Yes

Over the next hour, that should create a .properties file for each of your video files which will contain all the metadata stored.

John