SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:16 PM
Sage User

How to install Mini Client on Fire TV

I apologize but I must be missing something very basic here. I bought a Fire TV (2015 model) and would like to give the Mini Client a try. I have purchased the app on the Amazon store through my computer but on the list of compatible devices, my Fire TV has a red X. I tried browsing for the Mini Client on the Fire TV itself, but have been unable to locate the app on the Amazon app store. Are there other steps involved?
Old 07-03-2016, 05:13 AM
SageTVaholic

I think your best bet would be to side load it using the builds, here.

I did try to put a build on Amazon Store, but, I got tired of the hoops and lack of instruction on how to actually get it posted so that it could show up on a FireTV.

To be honest, a FireTV would have been the last device I would have suggested to run this. Combined with Amazon's anti Kodi stance, and their bad UI, and how difficult they make it to push out updates for apps... they are on my "do not buy, do not use" list (Not to mention that a recent update also broke the codec support, if I recall)

Some people have this working on FireTV, but I'm sure they've side loaded it.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:17 AM
Sage User

Thank you for the response! That's an easy choice, I'll return it for something that will be more compatible. When I found it on the Amazon store along with good reviews, I thought it would work out. I really appreciate the help and can't wait to try this on another device!
Old 07-03-2016, 08:32 AM
SageTVaholic

I have it sideloaded on my FireTV and I completely agree that's one of the worst devices for the job and the interface is almost one big ad. I have Prime for the 2 days shipping and I like to take advantage of the streaming that comes with it, but Amazon deliberately doesn't have an app in the Play Store. Things like this make PlayOn still a requirement even once you have a proper Android device.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 07-03-2016, 09:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by c550_560_dr View Post
Thank you for the response! That's an easy choice, I'll return it for something that will be more compatible. When I found it on the Amazon store along with good reviews, I thought it would work out. I really appreciate the help and can't wait to try this on another device!
Personally, if you can afford to pay a little more, I'd get the NVIdia Shield TV... I have 2 of these units and they are great devices.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:03 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the advice. Price was a bit of a factor, especially for a small screen kitchen client setup. I'll need the remote since I can't with a straight face ask my wife to navigate SageTV with a game controller! Worth it for a good solution.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
... (Not to mention that a recent update also broke the codec support, if I recall)

I have side-loaded the miniclient APK on a FireTV (FireOS 5.5.5.1) and am able to launch it, connect to my SageTV server and access content. But sadly no video only audio on recorded content. You mention the broken codec support .. is there something I can install to fix this or some other workaround?

Thanks, SB
Capture Devices: 2 @ Hauppauge HD-PVR (1212), Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 ATSC/QAM, HD Homerun
Media Extenders: 2 @ Sage HD100 & 1 @ Sage HD200
Signals/Providers: AT&T UVerse, OTA ATSC
Set-Top-Box: 2 @ Motorola Box VIP 1200
Old 07-17-2016, 03:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadeblue.com View Post
I have side-loaded the miniclient APK on a FireTV (FireOS 5.5.5.1) and am able to launch it, connect to my SageTV server and access content. But sadly no video only audio on recorded content. You mention the broken codec support .. is there something I can install to fix this or some other workaround?

Thanks, SB
I'm not aware of any... I'm pretty sure this was a deliberate attempt by Amazon to prevent other players from working on their hardware. ie, lots of people were buying FireTV, but very few were likely Amazon video customers... so they added code to prevent Kodi from being installed and the removed codecs (or likely renamed them or places them in locations that they can access -- assumption on my part). Basically a dick move by Amazon... it's been this way for a bit... so if it were an accident, I'm sure they would have issued an update by now.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:34 PM
Sage Icon

I got one of these on sale on Prime Day.
I sided loaded the SageTV mini client and I swear everything worked fine at first but the next day it would not longer play mpeg2 files recorded from my OTA tuners.

Aside from the mpeg2 playback issues the client seems to work perfectly. I wish I could get this to work. I really like the box itself and the price is right. It really is an A...hole move that Amazon does not have an app Prime playback on Android TV. As it stands the FireTV box has everything I want except SageTV playback.

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKerr View Post
I got one of these on sale on Prime Day.
I sided loaded the SageTV mini client and I swear everything worked fine at first but the next day it would not longer play mpeg2 files recorded from my OTA tuners.

Aside from the mpeg2 playback issues the client seems to work perfectly. I wish I could get this to work. I really like the box itself and the price is right. It really is an A...hole move that Amazon does not have an app Prime playback on Android TV. As it stands the FireTV box has everything I want except SageTV playback.
I have 2 weeks vacation coming up... I'll see if I can't get some time to troubleshoot on my firetv. I do think that amazon "moved" their codecs with their latest updates to purposely subvert kodi and other players... not sure this is fixable... but I'll see what I find when I hook it up.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:33 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
I have 2 weeks vacation coming up... I'll see if I can't get some time to troubleshoot on my firetv. I do think that amazon "moved" their codecs with their latest updates to purposely subvert kodi and other players... not sure this is fixable... but I'll see what I find when I hook it up.
If you need me to do any testing let me know.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 08-02-2016, 08:38 PM
Sage Icon

The recording play fine thru the latest version of Kodi. It is just with the SageTV interface that I have problem. If I use the ExoPlayer I get playback but it is very choppy.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Sage Icon

Just noticed a new version of the SageTV MiniClient: 1.0.6

Upgraded and using the ExoPlayer I get good playback on the hauppauge colossus h.264 files.
But...the HDHR files are still unwatchable.

I get only audio without the ExoPlayer.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Any update on the viability of this Mini Client on FireTV?

I was thinking about trying the new FireTV Stick (shipping 10/20) so I could have an inexpensive and easily portable SageTV client with me wherever I go, or loading up SageTV on an inexpensive stick and sending it to my brother so he can access my recordings.

-uberpixel
Old 10-01-2016, 10:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberpixel View Post
Any update on the viability of this Mini Client on FireTV?

I was thinking about trying the new FireTV Stick (shipping 10/20) so I could have an inexpensive and easily portable SageTV client with me wherever I go, or loading up SageTV on an inexpensive stick and sending it to my brother so he can access my recordings.

-uberpixel
From what I can tell... Amazon Fire TV changed their OS to make it harder for other TV apps to use their codecs... I don't have the resources to play cat and mouse with them, so, unless they "fix" it on their side at some point, my suggestion would be to avoid buying Amazon hardware.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
From what I can tell... Amazon Fire TV changed their OS to make it harder for other TV apps to use their codecs... I don't have the resources to play cat and mouse with them, so, unless they "fix" it on their side at some point, my suggestion would be to avoid buying Amazon hardware.
fwiw, I was able to get the sage miniclient to work on the Fire Stick using the ExoPlayer. However, when I tried the same thing on the Fire TV, I get no sound with ExoPlayer and no video without it, but I can't figure out how to get both to work at the same time.

So ... at this point I can at least recommend the stick for working.

Does anyone know if there is another app (for FireTV) that can playback the recordings? I tried Kodi, but it expects all shows to be in their own directories and a different filename scheme.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:04 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChePazzo View Post
fwiw, I was able to get the sage miniclient to work on the Fire Stick using the ExoPlayer. However, when I tried the same thing on the Fire TV, I get no sound with ExoPlayer and no video without it, but I can't figure out how to get both to work at the same time.

So ... at this point I can at least recommend the stick for working.

Does anyone know if there is another app (for FireTV) that can playback the recordings? I tried Kodi, but it expects all shows to be in their own directories and a different filename scheme.
Most other platform (Plex, Emby, Kodi) expect that format. You can rename the files into a more friendly format that can still be read by SageTV. I use MCEbuddy but there are other renaming options out there that will work as well.

Within Kodi you can play back files by just mapping your recording folder and not using the Library mode. You can even play back in process recording. You miss all the metadata and formatting but they will play directly from the file system.

On the FireTV SageTV Client it is probably the audio that is the problem. YOu probably have the stick on a TV with just a stereo option. You may want to play with the pass-thru options to see if you can get it to work on your setup.

I am mainly using Plex at this point and rename, comskip and convert everything to mp4 with MCEBuddy. SageTV also picks up the recordings as imported TV after the rename. Live TV is more of a pain but for as often as I do it the Kodi direct file playback works fine. And...if you have a newer HDHR you can record directly with Emby or Plex.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Most other platform (Plex, Emby, Kodi) expect that format. You can rename the files into a more friendly format that can still be read by SageTV. I use MCEbuddy but there are other renaming options out there that will work as well.

Within Kodi you can play back files by just mapping your recording folder and not using the Library mode. You can even play back in process recording. You miss all the metadata and formatting but they will play directly from the file system.

On the FireTV SageTV Client it is probably the audio that is the problem. YOu probably have the stick on a TV with just a stereo option. You may want to play with the pass-thru options to see if you can get it to work on your setup.

I am mainly using Plex at this point and rename, comskip and convert everything to mp4 with MCEBuddy. SageTV also picks up the recordings as imported TV after the rename. Live TV is more of a pain but for as often as I do it the Kodi direct file playback works fine. And...if you have a newer HDHR you can record directly with Emby or Plex.
What do you mean by "mapping your recording folder and not using the Library mode"?
The SageTV Plugin on Kodi always gives me some strange error that is supposed to be fixed with a .js file, which I have installed on the server, but it still doesn't work. I think it's probably the version of Java on my server (64-bit 1.8.0_121-b13).

Update: I got my audio working. Looks like you were on the right track.
I moved the stick to the main TV and ... no audio! I tried every HDMI port on the TV. So, I played with the audio settings on the FireTV and the only setting that worked was "Dolby Digital". Apparently, my TV supports neither "Dolby Digital Plus" nor "regular stereo"; only plain Dolby Digital.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChePazzo View Post
What do you mean by "mapping your recording folder and not using the Library mode"?
The SageTV Plugin on Kodi always gives me some strange error that is supposed to be fixed with a .js file, which I have installed on the server, but it still doesn't work. I think it's probably the version of Java on my server (64-bit 1.8.0_121-b13).

Update: I got my audio working. Looks like you were on the right track.
I moved the stick to the main TV and ... no audio! I tried every HDMI port on the TV. So, I played with the audio settings on the FireTV and the only setting that worked was "Dolby Digital". Apparently, my TV supports neither "Dolby Digital Plus" nor "regular stereo"; only plain Dolby Digital.
In Kodi you setup a folder and then define what its purpose is. (TV, Movie, etc) Then the default mode is the Library mode and you do not see the underlying files or file system. But if an object is not scanned you do not see it in the Library. There is a second way to play files and that is to use the Files option under Videos. You can setup a shortcut to to your Recording folder and navigate it at any time. You can play any video files while browsing the file system. If you see a SageTV recording in progress you can still play it.

I can't help with the Kodi plugin. I also had issues with it at some point but was able to get it working. I believe it is no longer supported. If you get it working then it adds a special folder where you can find the SageTV recording. I don't think Live TV works and the Library is not integrated with the Kodi Library. I think It also combines movies and TV in the same list but I may be wrong on that one. Since it is not currently supported I would not rely on it as a long term solution. Also: The renaming strategy would work with most other solutions you may want to try. (mainly Plex and Emby both have clients on most platforms)

Last edited by SWKerr; 02-24-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
In Kodi you setup a folder and then define what its purpose is. (TV, Movie, etc) Then the default mode is the Library mode and you do not see the underlying files or file system. But if an object is not scanned you do not see it in the Library. There is a second way to play files and that is to use the Files option under Videos. You can setup a shortcut to to your Recording folder and navigate it at any time. You can play any video files while browsing the file system. If you see a SageTV recording in progress you can still play it.
So, when I do this, Kodi scans my Recordings folder, but nothing is added to the library. The only way I can view the recordings is through file mode.

I read a while back that Kodi only adds shows to your lib if each show is in its own folder or if the filename is in a different format. When I was using MythTV (because Google took Sage from us), I had a similar issue and had a bg script running to create symlinks in the format that Kodi liked, because there was really no other reasonable way to watch MythTV recordings. I was hoping with Sage, there wouldn't be a need to do that.

Anyway, I'd love to figure out how to integrate SageTV recordings into Kodi, but the mini client on FireTV is a better experience anyway, so I'll just stick with that.