SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:35 PM
SageTVaholic

New HDHR device unveiled HDHR Prime 6

Six tuners.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:46 PM

What good is this if all channel are DRM channels you pettey much need MCE
Old 01-09-2018, 03:02 PM
SageTVaholic

I am not sure - don't folks use the existing HDHR Prime with SageTV? It isn't relevant for Canadians as our cable companies won't give us CableCARDs.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I am not sure - don't folks use the existing HDHR Prime with SageTV? It isn't relevant for Canadians as our cable companies won't give us CableCARDs.
That I don't know, supposedly it only direct viewing of the channels no recording
Old 01-09-2018, 04:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
What good is this if all channel are DRM channels you pettey much need MCE
Comcast / Xfinity customers are OK with cablecard. Only the premium channels are copy-once. Everything else is copy-freely.

This is good news, as it provides like-for-like functionality for my aging, unsupported, Ceton boxes.
All in lovely Drexel Hill, PA
Old 01-09-2018, 04:35 PM
Sage Fanatic

Ugh, and here I just retried my InfiniTV6 PCIe for a Prime.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egeller View Post
Comcast / Xfinity customers are OK with cablecard. Only the premium channels are copy-once. Everything else is copy-freely.

This is good news, as it provides like-for-like functionality for my aging, unsupported, Ceton boxes.
Supposedly on CableONE system all there channel are copy-once
Old 01-09-2018, 04:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by egeller View Post

I have Comcast and over 200 Channels are copy freely ... only HBO Showtime and Starz are protected.

They are also coming out with a Box that has tuners and can do recordings... also you can add the Network tuners if you need more tuners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed5G9Oucn_U
Old 01-09-2018, 05:49 PM
SageTVaholic

A six tuner HDHR device is certainly useful as the Ceton devices are running a bit long, unsupported, and not as reliable as the Silicondust hardware - yet I'll muddy the cable TV waters even a little more ...

I have Charter Spectrum - what used to be Time Warner Cable, that was purchased by Charter, and we are still operating under the old Time Warner technology, a handful of local affiliates as copy-freely (maybe 20 local channels) and everything else is copy-once. Just 50 miles away, My relatives that use SageTV on Charter Spectrum (the original Charter cable) have everything as copy-freely except for the premium channels.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:54 PM
SageTVaholic

I would hope that it still works with Win7 and WMC7, and Xbox 360 extenders.

http://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/2...merun-prime-6/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed5G9Oucn_U
Old 01-09-2018, 06:00 PM
Sage Icon

I can't wait until mid 2018: I currently have two HDHomeRun Primes, with two tuning adapters. I can cut that down from a total of four boxes to two boxes, with a lot less cabling and save $3 per month by turning one of my cable cards back in to Charter. Seems like a win-win...
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 01-09-2018, 06:15 PM
SageTVaholic

I believe SiliconDust will make more information availible about recording DRM at CES ... at least for now we can watch DRM... on XBOX and Windows Pc's no need for regular boxes from Comcast... I returned them all.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:36 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I believe SiliconDust will make more information availible about recording DRM at CES ... at least for now we can watch DRM... on XBOX and Windows Pc's no need for regular boxes from Comcast... I returned them all.
It sounds like the DRM announcement is a software upgrade that SiliconDust will be making available for their DVR service offering. I don't get the feeling that it will help us Sage users.

But it does give me a warm fuzzy that I have another option if Charter decides to flag their channels as copy once.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 01-09-2018, 06:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Here is some interesting info that says DRM recording could be implemented upon release of the Prime 6 tuner ...

http://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/2...merun-prime-6/
Old 01-09-2018, 07:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
It sounds like the DRM announcement is a software upgrade that SiliconDust will be making available for their DVR service offering. I don't get the feeling that it will help us Sage users.

But it does give me a warm fuzzy that I have another option if Charter decides to flag their channels as copy once.
SsgeTV has no equal out there as far as scheduling etc ... but at least we have a company that is willing to record DRM.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The CRTC really needs to address that. I’m amazed the FCC mandates this, but the CRTC doesn’t. I wonder if people even know what this means in Canada. My brother and sister don’t, for sure.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 01-09-2018, 09:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
The CRTC really needs to address that. I’m amazed the FCC mandates this, but the CRTC doesn’t. I wonder if people even know what this means in Canada. My brother and sister don’t, for sure.
on this kind of stuff the CRTC has never really been on the consumer's side. The FCC required US cable companies to offer boxes with FireWire. The CRTC never had a similar rule. It turns out that FireWire didn’t end up being useful for much, but at last the intent was there.

And even the main premise for CableCARD died out - that was to have TVs that accepted CableCARD. If that took off we might have been able to argue for them.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
on this kind of stuff the CRTC has never really been on the consumer's side. The FCC required US cable companies to offer boxes with FireWire. The CRTC never had a similar rule. It turns out that FireWire didn’t end up being useful for much, but at last the intent was there.

And even the main premise for CableCARD died out - that was to have TVs that accepted CableCARD. If that took off we might have been able to argue for them.
I still use Firewire for channel changes.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 01-16-2018, 10:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

I was really hoping that the 6-tuner cable card product would do real-time hardware transcode to x264 like the 'HDHomeRun EXTEND' does. But none of the CES reports that I have seen mention it as a feature.

Has anyone heard differently?
Old 01-16-2018, 10:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
I still use Firewire for channel changes.
So do I but I doubt this is why we have FireWire on cable boxes. It was supposed to be a connection for video content but that was really only used for D-VHS which didn't last very long. I think TiVo looked at having boxes that took FireWire from your cable box for AV but I don't know that they ever got released.